General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Guide: How to enable Java(tm) Support
Posted by: kamil
Date: September 29, 2001 04:42PM

I am not trying to take credit for anyone else's work, and I know that this topic has been discussed several times before on this board... but I feel that an easy to read guide could be very helpful to someone looking to use k-meleon as their primary browser.

Guide on how to enable Java(tm) Suppoty in k-meleon

Firstly download the Java Runtime Environment (JRE), version 1.3.0_02 (or better)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/jre/download-windows.html

After downloading it, install it to the default directory (to make it easier to locate).

Then go to that directory, (by default it is C:\Program Files\JavaSoft)

And then go to the subdirectory JRE\1.3.0_02\bin\

(C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3.0_02\bin\)
In that directory, locate the following file:

NPOJI600.dll

Now, this file to your plugins folder for k-meleon, which can be found by default at C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\plugins
(Make sure that you do not copy it to the "kplugins" folder!!)

Special Note: The NPJava130*.dll files in your \JRE\1.3.0_02\bin\ subdirectory are for Netscape 4.7, and it is unclear whether they will benefit k-meleon users if you copy them to your plugins directory. If you experience any problems with using only NPOJI600.dll, then copy the NPJava130*.dll files over.
I hope this helped someone :-)

kamil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide: How to enable Java(tm) Support
Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 29, 2001 05:11PM

Kamil,

Thanks for pulling that together. I had intended to do a Java install guide. However, in the current version, K-Meleon automatically detects your JRE install so it is unnecessary to copy over the NPOJI600.dll file into the plugins direcrory. So, the only installation directions would be for JRE and I wasn't sure if that would be helpful as it doesn't really involve K-Meleon specifically.

Check out my info. on the Release Notes and FAQ and let me know if you think I should add a separate guide:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php

Thanks again,

Andrew

Posted by: kamil
Date: September 29, 2001 06:12PM

Ah, I wasn't aware of that...
Alrighty, looks tight :-)

kamil

Posted by: Andrew
Date: September 29, 2001 06:37PM

Kamil,

Yeah, we want to make it painless. Thanks again for helping out.

Andrew

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.