General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Google: "we'll only support major browsers"
Posted by: ndebord
Date: February 03, 2010 12:51AM

Google, it seems, being burned by IE6 in China has decided to ignore any browsers except FF3+, IE7/8, Chrome4+, Safari3+.

"Many other companies have already stopped supporting older browsers like Internet Explorer 6.0 as well as browsers that are not supported by their own manufacturers. We’re also going to begin phasing out our support, starting with Google Docs and Google Sites. As a result you may find that from March 1 key functionality within these products -- as well as new Docs and Sites features -- won’t work properly in older browsers."

http://googleenterprise.blogspot.com/2010/01/modern-browsers-for-modern-applications.html

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Google: "we'll only support major browsers"
Posted by: Yogi
Date: February 03, 2010 07:45PM

If browser security is their main criteria than one might wonder why Opera has been left out.
I never had any confidence toward Google but they get more and more unappealing.
After all I don't care. I have never used any of their services except their search . I might dump their search engine as well.

Date: February 03, 2010 08:31PM

Yogi
If browser security is their main criteria than one might wonder why Opera has been left out.

I never had any confidence toward Google but they get more and more unappealing.
After all I don't care. I have never used any of their services except their search . I might dump their search engine as well.

Yogi,

Well I do find them useful as they took over Blogger, which is where I park some stuff. Would not want to change over from using KM Performancing to do my writing and/or having to use FF or IE instead.

As for search engines, I don't mind Google JUST SO LONG as it is Scroogle instead (My personal stuff is mine, not theirs, thank you very much!).

N

Posted by: jmillar
Date: February 05, 2010 02:18PM

Wh4en KMeleon 1.9.1 becomes mainstream it will probably be compatible, (perhaps with a custom User Agent string). Google (or Scroogle) is still the most effective search engine for me.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: February 05, 2010 05:02PM

jmillar
Wh4en KMeleon 1.9.1 becomes mainstream it will probably be compatible, (perhaps with a custom User Agent string). Google (or Scroogle) is still the most effective search engine for me.

though you should NOT expect KM-1.9.1 to become "mainstream" so soon. it'll be months before an official KM-1.9.1 release becomes available.

even some Seamonkey users are feeling left out by Google.

i might test out those Google sites with Hao's and Fred's unofficial KM-1.9.1 builds to see if they work.

Date: February 06, 2010 01:57AM

jmillar

jmillar,

Yes, Scroogle for me and the metasearch macro too with a hotkey.

I can wait for KM 1.9.1, but it is hard... <weak grin>

N

Date: February 06, 2010 01:59AM

4td8s
jmillar

though you should NOT expect KM-1.9.1 to become "mainstream" so soon. it'll be months before an official KM-1.9.1 release becomes available.

even some Seamonkey users are feeling left out by Google.

i might test out those Google sites with Hao's and Fred's unofficial KM-1.9.1 builds to see if they work.

4td8s,

Seamonkey is definitely feeling left out and if they are, then so are we and any of the other derivatives that don't immediately embrace FF 3 coders.

If I have the time, I'm going to try and see which of my favorite macros can survive the move to Fred's unofficial KM 1.9 version

N

Posted by: Anon and anon
Date: February 13, 2010 11:17PM

I feel that my query is quite related to this discussion - I am trying to access gaiaonline.com, and whenever I attempt to load a page, once the page I am attempting to access loads, it loads a second time, but this time to */google-analytics.com, where * is a three-letter string. In this way, I am left with a blank page.

Both disabling javascript and stopping the pageload prevents this problem, but both are distasteful solutions, as most sites (including Gaia) require javascript for full functionality, and without Firefox's NoScript add-on, I cannot regulate this. Stopping the page load requires both an adroit reflex, and more effort than I am willing to use.

I am attempting to set my default web search to scroogle, but am unsure as to whether that will solve the problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion or solution? I would really enjoy switching from Firefox 3.5.7 to K-Meleon, but if I am unable to access my frequented sites, I am unwilling to do so.

Date: February 14, 2010 12:39AM

Anon and anon
I feel that my query is quite related to this discussion - I am trying to access gaiaonline.com, and whenever I attempt to load a page, once the page I am attempting to access loads, it loads a second time, but this time to */google-analytics.com, where * is a three-letter string. In this way, I am left with a blank page.

Both disabling javascript and stopping the pageload prevents this problem, but both are distasteful solutions, as most sites (including Gaia) require javascript for full functionality, and without Firefox's NoScript add-on, I cannot regulate this. Stopping the page load requires both an adroit reflex, and more effort than I am willing to use.

I am attempting to set my default web search to scroogle, but am unsure as to whether that will solve the problem.

Does anyone have a suggestion or solution? I would really enjoy switching from Firefox 3.5.7 to K-Meleon, but if I am unable to access my frequented sites, I am unwilling to do so.

anon,

Weird... I have no problems loading up that site:

http://www.gaiaonline.com/

Sounds like some kind of malware to me that requires javascript to run.
and that * at the beginning of the URL is a redirect of some kind.

There are others here who know this stuff far better than I do. Perhaps they can jump in.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2010 12:40AM by ndebord.

Date: February 14, 2010 01:49AM

Malware might be a likely culprit. As a note, for my current browser session, the link I am being directed to is jsc.google-analytics.com. If I recall correctly, it was a different 3-letter string last browser session. However, that may not be the case.

If it is indeed malware, would a clear of my DNS cache solve the problem? I am hesitant to mess with those places in my computer without an informed opinion (I would be using C-Cleaner to do the wipe).

I will determine whether the same problem occurs on my desktop computer, which has just been scoured for viruses, malware, spyware, &c. and should be "clean as a whistle".

Thank you for your time and interest - I appreciate it.

Date: February 14, 2010 02:06AM

Apologies for the double-post; your hunch was not incorrect. Gaia runs correctly on the desktop, ergo, I am now running Symantec's full scan, and have already run C-Cleaner (even if that's just "for kicks" in this situation; I did not clean my DNS cache). Indeed, upon reflection, I am convinced that malware is the source of my woe, as whenever I attempt to download Spybot S&D on this laptop, I am forbidden from doing so.

The desktop seems to run it "without a hitch", although I must admit some wonder as to why it requires so much more memory usage on the desktop.

Laptop (Duo, 2GHz CPU, 3GB RAM, OS: Vista):
Firefox 3.5.7: ~100K
K-Meleon: ~10K

Desktop (Duo, 3GHz CPU, 3.25GB RAM, OS: XP):
Firefox 3.5.?: ~200K
K-Meleon: ~40K

Date: February 14, 2010 04:32AM

Recent malware seems much harder to remove than in older times.

Hijackthis was my salvation, along with this site:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html

N

Posted by: AirSpirit
Date: February 18, 2010 08:45PM

It seems that we won't be able to use YouTube in K-Meleon 1.5.3.
I'm waiting for K-Meleon 1.6 (almost a year), but I'll have to use uncomfortable firefox for viewing youtube videos.

Posted by: panzer
Date: February 18, 2010 08:48PM

Scre* Google! Msoft, Google, Mozilla ... they all the same. Bastards!

Never trust american pussies wherever you are!

I have downloaded videos I need. I will wait for Km 1.6 special bonus edition.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 09:02PM by panzer.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 18, 2010 09:02PM

AirSpirit
I'm waiting for K-Meleon 1.6 (almost a year), but I'll have to use uncomfortable firefox for viewing youtube videos.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/kmeleon16

1.6.x may come before 1.5.4.

Posted by: panzer
Date: February 18, 2010 09:28PM

V1.6 is the most anticipated version of kM, I believe. It MUST be good. No, not good. GODLY. grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 09:28PM by panzer.

Date: February 18, 2010 09:43PM

guenter

Thanks, I think I'll try it though it still in alpha.
Does it support HTML5 and the <video> tag?

Posted by: siria
Date: February 18, 2010 10:14PM

The 13th is a very fitting date :cool: but hey, no panic ;-)

YOUTUBE
You'll still be able to watch videos after that date, but new features may not work properly.

So far I'm staying rather optimistic... On one hand the videos will still be watchable, and I don't need the latest bells-and-whistle features, and second there was recently some thread around here that said something to the effect, that the combination of Linux and Opera in the user string may still work well for such websites... I'll just wait and test then tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 10:16PM by siria.

Date: February 19, 2010 12:00AM

guenter
AirSpirit

Guenter,

You just said a mouthful, as TB and SM seem to be dragging their feet on updates to Gecko 1.8.xx and therein TB 2.0.0.24 and SM 1.1.19.

N

Posted by: Just Me
Date: February 19, 2010 12:50AM

We also got the message below when we went to youtube.com. However, all we did was right-click the UserAgent button on our toolbar, and enter Firefox 3.6 under CUSTOM, and youtube stopped showing that "warning message"! Apparently, there is not really any need to "upgrade." Google likes to snoop & annoy, but we don't necessarily have to cooperate!

YOUTUBE MESSAGE:
On March 13, we are dropping support for your browser. You'll still be able to watch videos after that date, but new features may not work properly.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: February 19, 2010 12:59AM

yeah.. it isn't real, they can't even code a proper browser detection let alone block by js..all they are doing is blocking browsers by version not by technologies..spoof to anything else and it works

user agent switcher will just need to be updated to use ff3.5 string instead of 2.0

Posted by: desga2
Date: February 19, 2010 09:17AM

AirSpirit

It seems that we won't be able to use YouTube in K-Meleon 1.5.3.

Currently I can view all YouTube videos with K-Meleon 1.5.3.
What is exactlly your problem with Youtube?
Are you tried to install the last Flash player plugin version?
Are you tried to change the User Agent string?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 19, 2010 08:54PM

desga2
Currently I can view all YouTube videos with K-Meleon 1.5.3.
What is exactlly your problem with Youtube?
Please, read more careful, I writed that in the future we won't be able to use youtube because on march 13 it will start using the HTML5 <video> tag instead of flash smiling smiley

Date: February 19, 2010 09:59PM

AirSpirit

Please, read more careful

He cannot. desga2 reads Spanish & Your wrote Russian

С уважением, guenter from Hanover

p.s. I hope that 1.6 will be able to do all html 5.
And it will be available by March 13. At least as preview.
AFAIK the showstopers for 1.6 are solved by Dorian & kko.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 10:09PM by guenter.

Posted by: Matt
Date: February 19, 2010 10:16PM

YouTube offers video only in H.264 format and since it's MPEG LA's property Mozilla decided NOT to support it.

Take look at supported browsers; google=youtube, do you understand now, AirSpirit? Please, read more about video freedom.

Enjoy viewing ogg videos with K-Meleon 1.6, SeaMonkey 2 or Firefox 3.

Date: February 19, 2010 11:46PM

I think, this was a typical problem for multi-national forum.
It takes some posts until all info is clear.

p.s. Very informative. Special thx (jenkuje/?) Matt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 11:47PM by guenter.

Posted by: Just Me
Date: February 19, 2010 11:50PM

Wonder if the new video formats will be planting all those hidden SUPER-COOKIES on our hard drives the way that Macromedia/Adobe FLASH PLAYER currently does? (For the fun of it, do a search for *.sol on your machine and prepare to be amazed!) smiling smiley

Date: February 20, 2010 08:47AM

Matt
google=youtube, do you understand now, AirSpirit?
Well, I think youtube=google will be more suitable because google is not just youtube.
And I know about it since google bought youtube several years ago.

Matt
Mozilla decided NOT to support it.
Yes, I forgot about it, I've read about this decision sometimes ago.

Matt
Enjoy viewing ogg videos

Look at these 2 pictures:
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/351/footballtheora264.png
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/5806/toystheora264.png

theora — theora with the best settings available
264 analogue — 264 with settings similar to the theora's best
264 normal — 264 with it's own best settings

Source (where you can look at another pics and used presets, though the article itself is in russian)
http://habrahabr.ru/blogs/video/82544/

Worse quality with 2x-4x bigger filesize (look at "Same Y-SIMM comparison" picture in the article).
"Open source" isn't a synonym for "a good thing".

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 20, 2010 03:48PM

panzer
Scre* Google! Msoft, Google, Mozilla ... they all the same. Bastards!

Never trust american pussies wherever you are!

I have downloaded videos I need. I will wait for Km 1.6 special bonus edition.

I use Free Download Manager and Orbit but they seem to only work with IE. Is there by chance a freeware video downloader that will work with KM?

BTW, I wonder why Mozzila/FF never admit their browser's, like most, are just bastards.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: caktus
Date: February 20, 2010 04:07PM

siria
The 13th is a very fitting date :cool: but hey, no panic ;-)

I have to agree with you, siria. "The 13th" IS "a very fitting date." Or at least it was on the day I was born. But I really don't remember much as that was back when I was just a "little" brat.:cool::cool:

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.