Default browser
Posted by: Fulvio
Date: October 03, 2001 03:57PM

I posted before about this.Is there any way to undo the fact K-meleon has tried and succeeded in making itself the default browser.It just does not work with some thing.I have set a Google icon in the toolbar next to the clock,which works only with IE,but I like Google,so regardless of what I am doing I can use Google.It was totally messed up this morning.I know a solution,but I do not like it,i.e. uninstalling K-meleon.I am concerned that there may be some hidden settings which will not allow me to revert.

Re: Default browser
Posted by: Brian
Date: October 03, 2001 05:20PM

how does this google icon work? is there anywhere I can download it?

Re: Default browser
Date: October 03, 2001 06:56PM

If you have a Google toolbar in IE,and that's the only place where you can find it,just open it,right click on an empty section of the page,and select Send shortcut to Desktop.Close IE,and then drag icon to the toolbar,and you will have another copy of the Icon.I have deleted the icon on the desktop.The icon may be a light blue G,but it seems to get lost,and I have been finding the typical Microsoft "e" in its place.I have placed a funky G in place of the one I had,and it had been stable.Since it is a shortcut to something which is in IE,it will not work if the default disappears.

Google Toolbar
Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 03, 2001 08:32PM

Brian,

You can get the Google toolbar here:

http://toolbar.google.com/

Andrew

Re: Google Toolbar
Date: October 03, 2001 09:46PM

I was assuming that you had the toolbar in IE.If not,follow Andrew's URL 's directions,but should you want to have it outside IE,you will have to follow my directions.THe toolbar is not available with Netscape,Opera,or any other browser.That's why I want it handy.

Date: October 04, 2001 12:04AM

ok, so this icon is just an internet shortcut to "www.google.com" ?

Date: October 04, 2001 12:29AM

Yes it is, but only if IE is the default browser.Now,I created quite a discussion about an example of my problems,but I got zero input about the fact that K-meleon made itself the default browser without any action from me.K-meleon is an excellent idea,and it will probably be a great browser,but I do not want it my default browser.So,does anyone know what triggered that?I saw that HTML editor was checked on installation,but it seemed harmless enough.I am still waiting.

Date: October 04, 2001 03:19AM

I'm not commenting about it making itself the default browser because I don't know how to fix it. I am, however, curious as to why the internet shortcut doesn't work in kmeleon.

Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 04, 2001 09:48AM

Fulvio,

This is being discussed in another thread:

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=3&i=716&t=716

Apparently, it involved a bug in K-Meleon 0.4 and only affects people who previously used K-Meleon 0.4.

Andrew

Date: October 08, 2001 03:54PM

I missed the thread.So,even completely uninstalling 0.4,including Application Data/Mozilla would do this.There must be something in the Registry .

Date: October 08, 2001 04:01PM

In my reply,third post in this thread,I said that Google has a toolbar of its own,in Internet Explorer.This is not available in any other browser.so the shortcut has to have IE as default browser.When I click on the shortcut,it says that path is not found..I do not understand how the path is changed,but everything is cool when IE is restored as default broser.

Posted by: pandy
Date: October 20, 2001 08:04PM

Go to "Internet Options" in IE. Find a check box labeled "Check if IE is the default browser every time" (It's probably in the "Programs" tab). Check it and IE will ask you if you want it to take over next time you run it.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.