General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Mozilla, K-Meleon, and memory consumption...
Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: May 30, 2002 03:08AM

Hi, I understand that the current version of K-Meleon is based on Mozilla .95, and that the new version shall be based on Mozilla 1.0. I have tried Mozilla .95, and the latest Mozilla 1.0(rc3?), and noticed an incredible shift in the amount of memory it uses, to the point that Mozilla was actually useable under 64MB of ram(It's mozilla...). Does anybody know if K-Meleon will be affected by this, in terms of reducing the memory usage even more?

SJ Zero
Powerusrs Gaming
http://powerusr.sphosting.com/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mozilla, K-Meleon, and memory consumption...
Posted by: nex
Date: May 30, 2002 07:13AM

Well for your main question, i have no idea.

But my personally observations comparing K-Meleon with Mozilla1.0(rc3) has convinced me that Mozilla is really not nearly as bloated and slow as it use to be.

I started useing K-Meleon for the basic fact that I have a old computer, and Mozilla, although cool, was slow as hell and would eat up my memory like there was no tomorow. So i switched over, sure there are little buges in K-Meleon that bother me, but overall it really is a great browser.

Now when rc3 came out i decided to download it, and to tell you the truth i really don't notice much of a differance between rc3 and K-meleon speed wise.

So i am hoping that when the next version of K-meleon comes out it will be very very fast.

Re: Mozilla, K-Meleon, and memory consumption...
Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: May 31, 2002 06:49PM

I started using K-Meleon because I wanted a fast, stable browser which didn't care if I opened a hundred windows at a time. IE cracks like an overripe melon when I open the number of windows I like, but K-Meleon hangs in there, and is still responsive, even with all those windows open. I'm also impressed by how elegant it is -- no other 3MB web browser out there can boast the same functionallity or compatibility.

I have three computers. Needless to say, I use K-Meleon on all of them, and I used 98lite to remove IE altogether.

SJ Zero
Powerusrs Gaming
http://powerusr.sphosting.com/

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.