General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-Meleon
Posted by: Lindsay
Date: June 19, 2002 09:58PM

has any of the K-meleon developers ever considered porting K-meleon to Linux???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-Meleon
Posted by: David
Date: June 19, 2002 10:08PM

Galeon.

Posted by: Al.
Date: June 19, 2002 10:08PM

K-Meleon is modelled (not based upon) Galeon which is the Linux equivalent. It is different of course, however that's where the inspiration for K-Meleon came from.

Date: June 19, 2002 11:40PM

haha, i thought so, but one thing i noticed is K-Meleon does not need mozilla installed too in order to run in Windoze, i bet a million bucks if K-Meleon was ported to Linux and still could run without mozilla it would blow Galeon right out of the water and take the lead in the Browser department in Linux... HappyTrails smiling smiley

Posted by: Mark
Date: June 20, 2002 12:09AM

The fundamental problem with all of this talk of porting KM to Linux is as follows:

1) Mozilla is a cross-platform browser.
2) Galeon, K-Meleon, and others take Mozilla and make it single-platform.
3) To port K-Meleon to Linux, one would have to make K-Meleon cross-platform, essentially turning it back into Mozilla.

Porting K-Meleon to Linux would be a horrible waste of time, because the differences between KM and Mozilla are almost entirely based in Windows. These would have to be redone for Linux, at which point it wouldn't really be KM, anyway.

Date: June 20, 2002 06:54PM

ok, i see, so i guess i will just stick with good ol mozilla, Thanks for the insight smiling smiley

Posted by: po
Date: June 20, 2002 11:41PM

it would be neat, though, if there was something like Sieve <http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/> for browser scripting, so you could have portable macro scripts between k-meleon and galeon, for instance...

Posted by: Simon Kellett
Date: June 28, 2002 11:15AM

Galeon not only requires Mozilla to be installed, it also requires Gnome.

Skipstone removes the need for the full Gnome, it just uses GTK. But I *think* Galeon is more advanced at the moment.
http://www.muhri.net/skipstone/

(I am still trying to get Moz1.0 running on Linux. I will then experiment with Galeon and Skipstone)

Regards, Simon

Posted by: nicknamehere
Date: June 29, 2002 01:44AM

In one sense, KM is similar to Galeon. In the most important way (resource useage), however, Galeon has more in common with Mozilla or Internet Explorer. Galeon is slow, and a resource hog, whereas KM is slim and nimble. :-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.