General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Fastmail.fm, K-M and WINDOWS\TEMP
Posted by: polo
Date: July 06, 2002 01:01PM

Using K-M to access e-mail in FastMail always produces formpost-XXX files in C:\WINDOWS\TEMP. Is this a bug in FM or K-M?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fastmail.fm, K-M and WINDOWS\TEMP
Posted by: michael taaffe
Date: July 06, 2002 05:05PM

Hello, Everyone

The first name deposited in C:\TEMP ( with my browser it is put here, and not C:\WINDOWS\TEMP ) is formpost, the next one, if there is one, is formpost-1, etc.
Polo, did you SEND anything?
The data seem never to be over-written the next time you try: just another formpost-1 or -2 is added, but I cannot reproduce this reliably. I think it occurs when the posting of a form is somehow interrupted.
If the computer belongs to an organisation that you work for, this could be quite "embarrassing" ...
Netscape 3 does the same, except that the name is not "formpost".
K-Meleon0.6

Posted by: po
Date: July 06, 2002 05:11PM

this is a mozilla bug that is long gone in recent versions (of mozilla and k-meleon), fortunately.in the meantime, yes, keep an eye on that temp folder (it can happen with a few other sites, too, if they use the same type of form).

Posted by: michael taaffe
Date: July 11, 2002 07:05PM

It sometimes happens with K-Meleon 0.6 which is the latest version that is not a Beta version, as far as one can tell. But I cannot make it happen for demo purposes. One "site" is the Carnegie-Mellon University (USA) TOM Server. What other sites set this "bug" off?

Could we have some documentation? Not just in the forum but in the release notes, FAQ, etc.

So, this unwanted information may appear where? C:\WINDOWS\TEMP? C:\TEMP? and where else?

Posted by: po
Date: July 12, 2002 12:08AM

sorry, by 'recent versions' i meant the beta versions... yes, it still happens in 0.6.

it's a mozilla issue, and it's amazingly hard to find information about it... i spent some time looking around a while back. it's come up on the fastmail.fm forums a few times, too. the files should only appear in whatever folder your %TMP% or %TEMP% environment variable is set to.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.