General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Images Off
Posted by: Allen Franklin
Date: July 17, 2002 02:28PM

Hello:

First, I love K-Meleon. Now if I may ask a question, please?

When I turn images off (I am a dial-up user), is there a way to get icons or something in their place? If so, can I then do something (say right-click) to display particular images (as I can in IE) ?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Images Off
Posted by: po
Date: July 17, 2002 07:40PM

good news: the new release will show image placeholders.

bad news: you can't view them in place individually, that i know of... in fact, last time i checked, if images are off, and you specifically try to view one with right-click>view image, it will still only show a placeholder...

i use a macro that downloads the image with wget to the %TMP% directory, then opens it in xnview, but it's kind of a crude hack...

Posted by: Allen Franklin
Date: July 17, 2002 08:00PM

Thanks for the response.

As I am just an ignorant end-user, the hack seems beyond my abilities!

Just so I understand. Will the only way for me to see an image (even in the new release) would be to turn images on and reload the page?

Thanks for the assistance!

Date: July 18, 2002 02:59AM

> Just so I understand. Will the only way for me to see an image
> (even in the new release) would be to turn images on and reload the page?

short of a macro as described above, it looks that way, but keep in mind that the act of turning images on and reloading the page can also be executed as a very simple macro, from a button or menu item or keyboard shortcut...

> As I am just an ignorant end-user, the hack seems beyond my abilities!

oh, i promise, if i can come up with it, anyone could (and probably something better)... it would just involve learning to write an extremely simple (two lines) batch file, and to execute it with a macro (another two lines or so), both of which are good things to have at your disposal, and certainly not outside the scope of 'end user'...

and you can always get help on these forums. smiling smiley

in all honesty, what i've taken to doing a large part of the time is keeping images *on*, limiting my simultaneous connections to a host to 2, and just hitting 'Esc' once the part of the page i want has downloaded... not elegant, but versatile.

Posted by: David
Date: July 18, 2002 06:38AM

Hmm. I'm not sure image placeholders are of much use if one can't view the images individually. Ah well.

Date: July 18, 2002 08:01AM

> Hmm. I'm not sure image placeholders are of much use if one can't view the images individually.

oh! but they are! have you ever tried to navigate one of those awful sites that have only image links, without at least placeholders to giude you? it makes a *huge* difference. smiling smiley

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.