General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0a
Posted by: llewsrac
Date: April 01, 2010 11:48PM

Thanks Siria

Yes I had already installed 1.5 and just wanted to try out 1.6 and am pleased that I did. For me 1.6 a quite a bit faster for what I do on the web.

Basically I do not change many things and most important things are my bookmarks which I have made a copy of.

Been running K-meleon for quite a few years now and and a bit weary of upgrades and loosing my bookmarks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 02, 2010 12:12AM

llewrac,

You might try using GUL in conjunction with your regular bookmarks. Just import your entire bookmark file to it and then run it on a hotkey inside KM. From time to time, I erase the GUL file and reimport from bookmarks in KM. I find it works best to have GUL located in a sub-folder in K-Meleon.

N

Date: April 02, 2010 04:03PM

ndebord
llewrac,

You might try using GUL in conjunction with your regular bookmarks.

Thanks ndebord

Sounds great, but what is GUL ? and where would I find it? Did a search in google and in the forums and could not find anything about it.

llew

Posted by: siria
Date: April 02, 2010 05:39PM

llewsrac
Been running K-meleon for quite a few years now and and a bit weary of upgrades and loosing my bookmarks.

Oh, but you don't normally lose the bookmarks! It's just that under certain installation circumstances K-Meleon tends to forget the path to the old user profile sad smiley And then everyone thinks their profile stuff were lost, but in reality it's not, it's just in the old profile folder.

I suppose this happens e.g. if the install mode is different from the last time, single or multi-user, meaning profiles either in appdata or in program folder. Or if a new version is installed into a folder with a new name (like you did), but the previous version was portable and had the profiles in its own program folder.

There should be some routine to help users with this, for example if they install the portable mode, that a popup appears to ask if they want to import their old profile from the appdata folder, or such...

Date: April 02, 2010 07:17PM

Thanks Siria

There should be some routine to help users with this, for example if they install the portable mode, that a popup appears to ask if they want to import their old profile from the appdata folder, or such...[/quote]

You are possibly right. In my case I have always just used the normally setup when I have installed k-meleon.

What surprised me with the latest version 1.6 which I used the .exe file was that everything was there including my default page and bookmarks etc. I did not have to do anything extra at all except choose a folder to place the contents (it did not go through the installation process).

I added a new bookmark in 1.6, closed down and opened up 1.5 and it was there.

Makes me think that when 1.6 comes out of beta that I should just leave 1.5 installed and just put 1.6 into another folder. No hassles of uninstalling the old version, copying folders and files etc before installing the new version and copying files etc across.

I am really enjoying 1.6. I am using it in win7 without any problems so far.

llew

Posted by: slayer
Date: April 03, 2010 12:28AM

I just noticed that the Caps-Lock Button's LED blinks at the program start, is that normal? :s

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 03, 2010 10:19AM

slayer
I just noticed that the Caps-Lock Button's LED blinks at the program start, is that normal? :s

Not Caps-Lock's blinks in Win2K SP4 at K-Meleon 1.6a3 start.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: ndebord
Date: April 04, 2010 05:05AM

llewsrac
ndebord
llewrac,

You might try using GUL in conjunction with your regular bookmarks.

Thanks ndebord

Sounds great, but what is GUL ? and where would I find it? Did a search in google and in the forums and could not find anything about it.

llew

llewsrac,

One of Disrupted's little gems.

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext4.htm

That is the souped up version of GUL. You can also use it without the KMM macro as a standalone bookmark manager. Either way, it is a nice little program.

N

Posted by: foobarly
Date: April 05, 2010 08:00PM

4td8s
foobarly
[...]
I am still, among other things, a Windows XP user -- no Vista or 7 for me, as what could be viewed as a mere OS upgrade gets to be to the best of my knowledge a dramatic hardware downgrade, not to mention in usability (why relearn everything you amassed through years as an user?).[...]

hmm, what kind of computer are you using, foobarly? maybe the computer isn't fully Vista/Seven compatible.

all of my WinXP computers (desktop & laptop) arent Vista/Win7 compatible anyways (since the machines were made around 2000-2003) so, I dont bother upgrading the OS beyond XP SP3.[...]

I don't think so, 4td8s -- check my present desktop spec (laptop pretty similar): Intel DG35EC w/ Core2 Duo CPU E6850 @3.00GHz, 2MB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HDD on... Windows XP SP3.

Bought all those components off ebay for a fraction of the original price (around 250 EUR overall, not including the HDD and case already owned); I'm guessing everybody got busy shedding off perfectly good kit in a frenzy to make themselves Vista/7 compatible. smiling smiley

--- sig ---

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 08:07PM by foobarly.

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 06, 2010 09:59AM

foobarly
4td8s
foobarly
[...]
I am still, among other things, a Windows XP user -- no Vista or 7 for me, as what could be viewed as a mere OS upgrade gets to be to the best of my knowledge a dramatic hardware downgrade, not to mention in usability (why relearn everything you amassed through years as an user?).[...]

hmm, what kind of computer are you using, foobarly? maybe the computer isn't fully Vista/Seven compatible.

all of my WinXP computers (desktop & laptop) arent Vista/Win7 compatible anyways (since the machines were made around 2000-2003) so, I dont bother upgrading the OS beyond XP SP3.[...]

I don't think so, 4td8s -- check my present desktop spec (laptop pretty similar): Intel DG35EC w/ Core2 Duo CPU E6850 @3.00GHz, 2MB RAM, 500GB 7200 RPM HDD on... Windows XP SP3.

Bought all those components off ebay for a fraction of the original price (around 250 EUR overall, not including the HDD and case already owned); I'm guessing everybody got busy shedding off perfectly good kit in a frenzy to make themselves Vista/7 compatible. smiling smiley

laptop?! First you said it was a "desktop"! So which is it?!tongue sticking out smileygrinning smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: chrismt
Date: April 07, 2010 04:00PM

Does anyone know when is the next alpha of K-Meleon be available?

Posted by: foobarly
Date: April 20, 2010 09:44PM

caktus
[...]
laptop?! First you said it was a "desktop"! So which is it?!tongue sticking out smileygrinning smiley

Both!... grinning smiley

--- sig ---

Date: April 22, 2010 06:11PM

Is it just me, or does anyone else also have probs with "Paste And Go"...? I mean when a link is in the clipboard, and you right-click on the Go-Button. Pasting alone works fine, and then clicking GO too.

Thinking about it, it may well have to do with the URL bar bug, if so Copy&Go will probably work again too if that one is finished smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2010 06:53PM by siria.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: April 22, 2010 07:35PM

siria
Is it just me, or does anyone else also have probs with "Paste And Go"...? I mean when a link is in the clipboard, and you right-click on the Go-Button. Pasting alone works fine, and then clicking GO too.

Thinking about it, it may well have to do with the URL bar bug, if so Copy&Go will probably work again too if that one is finished smiling smiley

Just tested. Works fine here. What happens when you try to paste & go a copied link url?

Date: April 22, 2010 07:44PM

Nothing ;-)

Posted by: JamesD
Date: April 22, 2010 08:00PM

I just tried the 'paste and go' in 1.6.0a3 and it worked fine for me.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 22, 2010 09:53PM

kernelx?

Date: April 22, 2010 09:58PM

@Siria, is not working for me either but when righ-clicking and copying a link. sad smiley
Selecting a text link, and pressing Ctrl-C then you can use Paste&Search .

Date: April 22, 2010 10:09PM

You too? Perhaps kernelEx yes, but cannot test without it, or KM16 doesn't even start ;-)
Oh well, will keep on hoping that the general URL bar fix may help also this...

Date: April 22, 2010 10:20PM

Yeah, but it works when you copy the links with Ctrl-C, not copying them with the righ-click menu. So it's weird.
Try copying this: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ open a new empty tab, and then select Paste & Go.

Date: April 30, 2010 10:21AM

Would be very helpful to have the pref "font.askWhenNeeded" added to the default prefs smiling smiley

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?3,106423
Doon
I used to get that. A solution is to create a "font.askWhenNeeded" preference and set it to false, disabling all such font promptings...
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,80088,80097
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/FAQ#font_warning

Thanks Doon, that was my "learned today" hit now! grinning smiley
Those FAQ have some really great tips, that I had all once read, but obviously forgotten half of it since *blush*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2010 10:22AM by siria.

Posted by: beginner
Date: May 05, 2010 04:15PM

I admit I am not the smartest person so I have probably missed this. If
this has already been posted please forgive. I guess K-Meleon 1.6.0a is not supposed to have something to see passwords as in older versions since when
I go to Privacy and Security it is not there. So is there a way to delete old passwords if I cannot see them?
And most importantly is there a way to import them from K-Meleon 1.5.4?

Date: May 05, 2010 06:56PM

Hi, I'm mostly guessing now :cool: but you can 'probably' copy over your password file from the old profile folder... If you open KM 1.5.4 and click Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory... Don't know the name of the file, since I don't use it, but perhaps you recognize it smiling smiley

And sure KM 1.6 is supposed to handle passwords as before, it's just that in the alpha version this part isn't finished yet with updating to gecko 1.9 But there are 2 ways to access them in KM, and if you're lucky the other might work?
Tools > Privacy > View Data > View Passwords

Well, I don't use stored passwords and didn't open KM16 for testing right now, but chances shouldn't be too bad that it works ;-)

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 06, 2010 11:01PM

beginner
I guess K-Meleon 1.6.0a is not supposed to have something to see passwords as in older versions since when
I go to Privacy and Security it is not there.

So is there a way to delete old passwords if I cannot see them?

And most importantly is there a way to import them from K-Meleon 1.5.4?

1.) Absolut right. Support for the naming the K-Meleon Prefs use is not implemented yet.
So You do not see the passwords, K-Meleon PrefsPanel does not find them but they work, I tried also.

2.) No, unless You transfer the info back to an 1.5 that can.
See below, do it the other way round.
& always create backups before You do anything!

3.) Yes, copy and paste the content of *.s of the old 1.5 profile to signons.txt of the 1.6 profile after You started that file (first login into a password site starts it / I did it here - and use the content of an older *.s started in an ancient 1.5 - it should generally work that way).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 02:28PM by guenter.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: May 07, 2010 03:19AM

chrismt
Does anyone know when is the next alpha of K-Meleon be available?

nope. nobody knows so don't worry about it. tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 12, 2010 01:23AM

check the KM 1.6 development downloads page lately:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/kmeleon16

KM 1.6 alpha 4 and KM 1.7 alpha are now available.

Date: June 07, 2010 11:51PM

4td8s
KM 1.6 alpha 4 and KM 1.7 alpha are now available.

too bad the "user agent" strings for KM 1.6a4 and 1.7a are old and outdated. sad smiley
boy I have to edit them bigtime to match the newer Firefox 3.5/3.6 and Seamonkey 2.0 versions.

Posted by: a newbie
Date: June 22, 2010 08:11PM

I cannot find the *.s described by Guenter. Can someone help?

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 22, 2010 08:38PM

The "funny name" dot "s" file is your passwords file. It only exists if you use the password manager in KM. After you have logged in to a site and saved the login information the first time, the file will exist in your profile folder.

Posted by: a newbie
Date: June 22, 2010 09:14PM

Thanks, JamesD. I have a file in the profile folder called
S File. If that is it how do I open it?

Pages: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.