K-Meleon 1.6.0a
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: February 17, 2010 10:26PM

Thanks to Dorian who made all these possible!

In case someone hasn't known it, here it is: (In the wiki)

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/kmeleon16

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2010 11:52PM by Hao Jiang.

Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0a
Posted by: desga2
Date: February 17, 2010 11:47PM

Thanks for the info Hao, I like read your posts because you have good news always. smiling smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2010 11:48PM by desga2.

Date: February 17, 2010 11:55PM

Thank you!

I have decided to come back here more frequently than before smiling smiley A new K-MeleonCCF ME will be underway soon...

Posted by: penang
Date: February 18, 2010 08:00AM

Hu Nian Jin Bu, Mr. Jiang !

BTW, thanks for the new version.

Posted by: Matt
Date: February 18, 2010 10:51AM

Great news. Quick test: teK's Search Bar Ext and macros work. Nice new skin with new buttons - cool.
Speed of light browsing experience smiling smiley

Posted by: Slayer
Date: February 18, 2010 05:54PM

Is this an official update? Should I keep my 1.5.3 version? Which one is better?
Do I need to uninstall the 1.5.3 first? I need some guidance.smiling smiley

Posted by: jsnj
Date: February 18, 2010 06:32PM

Slayer
Is this an official update? Should I keep my 1.5.3 version? Which one is better?
Do I need to uninstall the 1.5.3 first? I need some guidance.smiling smiley
It's official but 1.6a is an alpha. Definitely usable, but not all features work yet. Best to upgrade to the 1.5.4RC as a 1.5.3 replacement.

Posted by: AirSpirit
Date: February 18, 2010 10:01PM

Can I change a new icon to an old one? The old one is better for me though it's not a chameleon.

Date: February 18, 2010 10:11PM

AirSpirit
Can I change a new icon to an old one? The old one is better for me though it's not a chameleon.

You can easily use resource hacker to exchange icons....

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 19, 2010 03:11AM

[the icon] Looks like the one I posted time ago smiling smiley (but as hotlinkfiles has disappeared you can't see it anymore).

Posted by: Enaitzjga (unlogged)
Date: February 19, 2010 07:18AM

I'm still using the old icon set, the one with the chameleon face over a dark red background. The new one (not really new since it's also rather old) looks for me like a dinosaur and I don't really like it.

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 19, 2010 10:33AM

AirSpirit

Yes, main.ico in used skin makes IMHO what You want.

Use the one from Phoenity and rename it to main.ico. That is all.
K-Meleon reacts to the names of the icons.
You can exchange all fully by placing the icons of Your choice into used skin.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 12:30PM by guenter.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: February 19, 2010 11:11AM

If you put your icon in skins\default folder, it perhaps works too, (you proably have to delete or rename the file in skin folders

Haven't tried, but I think it ought to work, and simultaneous for all the skins

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: leveck
Date: February 19, 2010 06:34PM

Thank you, Hao,for this version. This is the first usable version of K-meleon I have had since I got a wide screen monitor. None of the others would zoom properly. I like it very much and have had no real problems.

Date: February 19, 2010 09:13PM

Thanks to all for helping me with an old good icon smiling smiley
But some moments aren't good:
1. Old AdBlock version isn't working and its unknown when the new version comes out. It's so unpleasant to browse Internet full of ads.
2. File input fields in forms become firefox-style — I cant unselect selected file for upload. Please, PLEASE, add a possibility to clear this fields! :mad:
3. A fat dots in the password fields instead of tiny nice asterisks.
4. There's still a profiles hell. But I doubt that it'll be changed in release 1.6, same as with history (where I still can't delete particular records)
5. There's no predefined search engines at all and I even can't add them manually.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 09:14PM by AirSpirit.

Date: February 19, 2010 11:02PM

@ AirSpirit

5.) kko hopes, he has time within a week, said by mail. All devs have got jobs.

Some things You mentioned seem to be styles (.css) - hope devs or users find them smiling smiley

But it may take time. There is a whole Chrome & ... to search sad smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2010 11:18PM by guenter.

Posted by: Davep
Date: February 20, 2010 05:50AM

AirSpirit
It's so unpleasant to browse Internet full of ads.

Have you considered using a hosts file? I use Hostsman (http://www.abelhadigital.com/) and it cleans up a lot of it.

Date: February 20, 2010 08:54AM

@Davep
No, I prefer to wait for a new AdBlock version because it interacts with engine and pages don't look ugly when the ads are prevented from downloading and it much more flexible.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: February 22, 2010 09:10PM

AirSpirit
@Davep
No, I prefer to wait for a new AdBlock version because it interacts with engine and pages don't look ugly when the ads are prevented from downloading and it much more flexible.

the creator of ABP is currently working on a new version of it so that it will eventually work on an official version of KM 1.6.x as I've contacted him recently. it'll be many weeks before that can actually happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2010 09:12PM by 4td8s.

Date: February 22, 2010 09:18PM

4td8s
the creator of ABP is currently working on a new version of it so that it will eventually work on an official version of KM 1.6.x as I've contacted him recently. it'll be many weeks before that can actually happen.
Yes, I already know it because I wrote on AdBlock official forum and got an answer smiling smiley

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: February 27, 2010 04:34PM

like with Hao Jiang's recent K-meleonCCF ME builds, K-meleon 1.6.0a does NOT work with FTP based sites with the ftp:// protocol.

Reproducable - ALWAYS!

type in an FTP site like ftp.microsoft.com or ftp.mozilla.org in KM 1.6a's address bar.

expected result: A list of files and folders should be displayed in the KM browser

actual result: KM 1.6.0a shows an Open/Save/Cancel dialog box instead. and if I click Cancel, KM 1.6.0a browser closes.

Date: February 27, 2010 06:06PM

4td8s
like with Hao Jiang's recent K-meleonCCF ME builds, K-meleon 1.6.0a does NOT work with FTP based sites with the ftp:// protocol.

Reproducable - ALWAYS!

type in an FTP site like ftp.microsoft.com or ftp.mozilla.org in KM 1.6a's address bar.

expected result: A list of files and folders should be displayed in the KM browser

actual result: KM 1.6.0a shows an Open/Save/Cancel dialog box instead. and if I click Cancel, KM 1.6.0a browser closes.

Yap, the same here.

Likely a problem of the particular GREs used. Likely IMHO components/ dll or xpt missing.
I tried the same 1.6. K-Meleon components but with another 1.9 GRE & ftp works.

p.s. The GRE I used seems to have kinky ftp css sad smiley
Looks like error page - with SeaMonkey.exe also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 06:11PM by guenter.

Attachments: exe.gif (41.7 KB)  
Posted by: desga2
Date: February 27, 2010 07:29PM

I tried it in a Seamonkey 2.0pre version and FTP sites are showed as guenter's image above (with the CSS of the error pages).

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: February 27, 2010 08:03PM

AFAIK appcomps.dll is missing in 1.6.a2. My result anyway.

CCF has an additional problem.
When the dll is present and works You get a XML error. sad smiley

Posted by: slayer
Date: February 27, 2010 11:56PM

Hi people, sorry to interrupt your discussion, but does this version (1.6.0) work with win98se?
Thanks a lot.

Posted by: Lux
Date: February 28, 2010 12:09AM

Since I don't have 98, I can't try but at least I can say it wouldn't work.
The reason is that Gecko 1.9.x doesn't support Win 9x any more and thus K-Meleon 1.6 with Gecko 1.9.1
wouldn't work on 98se.

Posted by: chrismt
Date: February 28, 2010 08:02AM

When is the next Alpha or beta?

I can't wait

Posted by: siria
Date: February 28, 2010 09:27AM

Lux
Since I don't have 98, I can't try but at least I can say it wouldn't work.
The reason is that Gecko 1.9.x doesn't support Win 9x any more and thus K-Meleon 1.6 with Gecko 1.9.1
wouldn't work on 98se.

Sorry that's not quite accurate. It is true that k-meleon.exe does not work on win98se, but it never has, neither with old KM versions with old GREs. If one downloads KM and unzips it, there are two separate exe's, one for 9x and one for modern systems, it's just that the 9x gets renamed when using the setup-version. So some 9x users may think it were the same file, but it's actually a special version.

It is NOT true that it were the fault of the Gecko, seeing that Firefox 3.5x with Gecko 1.9.x does work fine in 98se with kernelex, except for printing. Yes they claim it wouldn't, and it may be true for the basic 9x installation, but with the MS-windowsupdates and a tiny 200kB-freeware proggie many XP-only programs work. Like Gecko 1.9x in FFox.

But the 9x machines seem really dying now, in the last 2 years alone 9x dropped from 0.5% to 0.0X% in statistics :-/

Date: February 28, 2010 11:32AM

0.0x% is still a huge number of ppl.

This statistic decline is partially coming from pages that exclude ppl with win98.
Not only browsers are excluded. K-Meleon's spoofs also provide wrong OS info!

The compilers try to make sure that programs do not run where they are not supposed to. If kernel x project would generally give the few missing capabilities and do the needed cheating the K-Meleon.exe for NT would have to work.

It seems that that project also concentrate the efforts at a few select programs like Firefox, with the rest gaining nothing.

p.s. I crippled my ME twice trying to install kernelx - I am not happy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 11:35AM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: February 28, 2010 01:59PM

Don't know, just my 2 cents, but I do think it works on a more general level. It's just that of course it's all workarounds and not easy, not everything can be worked around, and IIRC it's a one-man-project in his spare time. So some things work and others not. Sure, may well be that the developer experiments mostly with his own favorite programs, but that can help other, non-tested programs too which are using the same OS stuff.
When you had those problems, was it perhaps an older version? Because since awhile it's possible to disable KEX generally and only allow it expressly for specific programs, in their properties tab. Really like this :-) But perhaps it works better with 9xSE than with ME, no idea...

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.