General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Browser Choice for Win 7 in Europe
Posted by: penang
Date: February 20, 2010 02:46AM

This link, slashdotted at the moment ---> http://microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/archive/2010/02/19/the-browser-choice-screen-for-europe-what-to-expect-when-to-expect-it.aspx

But it does tell us the special feature Microsoft is offering to their customers in Europe, a choice of browsers.

Refer to this image, also slashdotted at the moment ---> http://www.microsoftontheissues.com/cs/blogs/mscorp/clip_image002_136F9F12.jpg

Is K-Meleon among the list of browsers?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 02:47AM by penang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Browser Choice for Win 7 in Europe
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: February 20, 2010 03:04AM

Yes! K-Meleon is! tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: February 20, 2010 07:34AM

penang
Is K-Meleon among the list of browsers?

I fear that many PPL will have the same problem as You.

p.s. The Maxton PPL think that MS is doing this layout deliberately in order to keep 2 tier browsers out. Maxton is commercial, funded by venture capital. They will complain to the EC because of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2010 07:35AM by guenter.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: February 22, 2010 09:15PM

the Browser Choice option will NOT just be limited to only Win7.
it will also be available (as the upcoming KB976002 update) to WinXP and Vista users who also use those OSes in Europe; I read something about this in MS KB article 894199.

Date: February 22, 2010 11:04PM

Also read Chris Mullaney's post in our K-Meleon Forum. He is principal program manager at Microsoft working on the Microsoft Browser Choice Screen for Europe.

He posted a link to the European Commision's statement smiling smiley

Official statements of the EC, URL. Complete Statement.

European Commission, extract

What's the issue?

* For many years, Microsoft has automatically tied its 'Internet Explorer' web browser to its 'Windows' computer operating system.
* The Commission was concerned that – given Microsoft's dominance of the PC operating system market – this deprives consumers of choice and results in fewer innovative products on the market.
* In October 2009, Microsoft offered commitments to remove this barrier to competition. The Commission has now made these commitments legally binding on Microsoft for a period of 5 years.
* From March 2010, Windows users will be able to choose which web browser(s) they want to use on their computer by means of a browser Choice Screen.

Who will benefit?

* More than 100 million European users of Windows operating systems (XP, Vista, 7, and successors) and many millions more in the future.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2010 02:07AM by guenter.

Date: March 05, 2010 05:05PM
Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 06, 2010 11:59AM
Posted by: siria
Date: March 06, 2010 01:28PM

It may be true that people are used to scrollbars, that this is nothing unusual. But from own experience I must admit, if there is ONLY a horizontal one, I just about always overlook that, even when I'm searching something on a page! Afterwards, when someone enlightens me, I feel really blind, but can't help it! Those occasions are so very rare, it's just so unusual and outlandish to hide additional pages on the side, instead of putting them below...

Posted by: Alex.Tarantul
Date: March 10, 2010 06:25PM

Colleagues, that's a piece of script code, which is responsible for the "random mapping" in the browser window ballot screen
function GenerateBrowserOrder()
{

var aBrowserOrderTop5 = new Array(0,1,2,3,4);
var aBrowserOrderRest = new Array();

for (var i=5; i < dataBrowsers.length; i++)
{
aBrowserOrderRest.push(i);
}

aBrowserOrderTop5.sort(RandomSort);
aBrowserOrderRest.sort(RandomSort);

aBrowserOrder = aBrowserOrderTop5.concat(aBrowserOrderRest);
}
here are two of the array of browsers. random acts of each independently. the first window will always be five popular browsers (Firefox, Opera, Chrome, IE, Safari)
k-meleon and others (Maxton, Flock, GreenBrowser, Sleipnir) never get to the first window. it was originally laid!

My blog about K-Meleon
http://kmeleon-ru.blogspot.com/

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.