General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Accept Language
Posted by: Christoph
Date: October 04, 2001 11:26AM

Congratulations,

K-Meleon is now really a fully functional browser, I love it, and use it as my standard browser in Windows!

One little question: Is it possible to change the "AcceptLanguage" setting the browser sends in HTML requests?
I noticed that many sites that show me German text when viewing them with IE or Mozilla now display English text when viewing them with K-Meleon, and I would really like to tell the server that I would prefer German pages...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Accept Language
Posted by: Andrew
Date: October 04, 2001 12:33PM

Christoph,

Do you have to do anything special in Mozilla to get the German text to appear or does it adjust automatically to the page? If there are settings that you change in Mozilla, let me know which ones. Also, can you send a URL for a site as an example to test with?

Thanks!

Andrew

Date: October 05, 2001 07:34AM

In Mozilla, the preferred language is set in Edit->Preferences->Navigator->Languages

If "de" is the first entry in the list of languages there, many sites are displayed in German.
You can test it at the site
http://ibz.ahicre.de
This site is available in four languages: German (de), Romanian (ro), Hungarian (hu) and English (en). If e.g. Romanian (ro) is the first language in your preferences list, you will be redirected to index.html.ro when requesting http://ibz.ahicre.de

Google also has this feature: when I go to "www.google.com" in IE I always get a German page, in Kmeleon I get the English page.

Christoph

Date: October 05, 2001 12:01PM

Christoph,

OK. I have a good idea what to check. I'm going to do some testing and I'll let you know if this is something you can set.

Andrew

Date: October 05, 2001 03:53PM

Christoph,

Please follow the instructions for customizing preferences here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/custompref.php

to add the following preference:

user_pref("intl.accept_languages", "de, en-us");

When I tested that site after adding that preference, it loaded the German-version of the site, not the English vesion. Please test that and let me know if you notice any other problems. I noted that Mozilla does set some other preferences but I'm not sure that they are relevant.

Andrew

Date: October 08, 2001 07:46AM

Andrew,

it really seems to work!!
Thank you!

Would be nice to see an entry in the "preferences" menu for this in the next version of Kmeleon

Christoph

Date: October 08, 2001 05:11PM

Christoph,

I agree. Let me know if there are any other preferences, especially for multi-language support to include. Apparently, it isn't too difficult to include.

Andrew

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.