General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Has anyone here tried this browser?
Posted by: Coconut Crab
Date: October 10, 2002 01:24PM

I was surfing the internet and found this browser. It calls itself an unbloated IE, which sounds very interesting. Has anyone here tried it before?

http://www.abtons-shed.com/pocketrocket/pocketrocket.htm

This is their product page:

http://www.abtons-shed.com/products/products.htm

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone here tried this browser?
Posted by: Al.
Date: October 10, 2002 09:43PM

Browsers such as the one you mention are what most people call "Internet Explorer Frontends", or "Internet Explorer Skins" etc. The main part of the program itself is usually a stand alone module, however when it comes time to render HTML, the module calls upon MSHTML.DLL, SHDOCVW.DLL, MSXML.DLL, MSJAVA etc etc. These componenets as you may realise are parts of a typical Internet Explorer installation, and are of course native parts of Windows nowadays (Win98 upwards). I guess the aim of these browsers is to provide options and abilties which are naturally part of Internet Explorer itself (like tabbed browsing, or grouped bookmarks).

However, be aware if you choose to use one of these IE frontends, unless you have Internet Explorer itself updated from Windows Update (w/- security patches), then you are at just as much risk as if you were just using Internet Explorer by itself.

Date: October 10, 2002 09:48PM

"I guess the aim of these browsers is to provide options and abilties which are naturally part of Internet Explorer itself (like tabbed browsing, or grouped bookmarks)."

I meant "not part of" Internet Explorer itself. ;-)

Posted by: whatever
Date: October 10, 2002 10:15PM

I use MyIE as my MDI Internet Explorer front-end. Fast and light, especially the latest version.

Date: October 11, 2002 11:58PM

Actually one of the more interesting "front-end" browsers to come out recently has been NetWorker. Not only can it act as a frontend for Internet Explorer, it can also utilise Mozilla as well. Which means if you have both browsers installed, you can be browsing one page with the MSHTML/IE engine, and browsing another page at the same time with the Mozilla/Gecko engine. It certainly is different.

Posted by: Coconut Crab
Date: October 12, 2002 04:46PM

That browser certainly is interesting. I've sent the link to http://www.webattack.com for a test and review. If the result is good I'll try it.

Coco

Posted by: Juliano
Date: October 12, 2002 05:05PM

Right now i'm using avantbrowser
It's very fast and light, has tabbed browsing, a very cool look and some options not found in IE.
Also, it's complety freeware, with no adware, banners, etc.
And it's very stable.

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Posted by: Whatever
Date: October 12, 2002 07:20PM

A note about Networker: If you have K-Meleon installed (and why would you be here if you didn't ;-), Networker can actually use K's Gecko rendering engine. So you don't even need to install Mozilla! Cool, no? :-P Install, K-Meleon. Now install Networker. Now, somewhere in the File menus at the top of NW, there's an option labeled "detect Mozilla" or something. When you choose it, Networker will tell you it can't find Mozilla, but would you like to browse to its location of your hard drive. Then all you do is browse to the folder containing your K-Meleon install, and voila! You can now use MSHTML and Gecko in Networker. :-) I've only done this with the latest beta of K-Meleon, so it might not work with the last official release (since the beta uses the newest Mozilla version, which Networker requires.) In any case, I no longer use Neteworker: I don't really like a few key aspects of the program, and they turn me off sufficiently to want to use separate front ends for MSHTML and Gecko.

Re: !!! BEWARE!!! Has anyone here tried this browser?
Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: October 15, 2002 11:54PM

There is a virus in the package.

Bernard

Posted by: _
Date: October 16, 2002 12:23AM

Huh?! What do you mean? Which browser, what anti-virus program did you use, and did you contact the developer to inform hem? I've tried all the browsers mentioned in this thread, and I haven't encountered a virus. I'm using Kaspersky AV with the latest virus defs, and I also just scanned my system with an online AV scanner to be doubly sure.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.