General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Script took too long error
Posted by: penang
Date: March 08, 2010 11:14PM

I like KM, especially after I ran some tests and found that KM uses 20 to 25% LESS memory than FF ( as outlined in this thread - http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,104075 ), I like KM even more !

However there is one annoying thing about KM compare to FF.

It's that "Script took too long" thingy.

You see, if I go to places like Slashdot where they may have 500 or so messages within a thread, if I use FF, everything would be fine, no error.

But if I use KM to go read the discussions in Slashdot, ooooh... things will load, and then stop, and then nothing, and then, like half a minute later, a box appear, telling me that "the script took too long to run" and ask me if I want to wait till that script to run until the end or if I want to kill the script now.

That's annoying !

How come FF can handle whatever 'script" KM is complaining about?

How come KM keeps on complaining about some stupid "script" ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Script took too long error
Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 08, 2010 11:54PM

Perhaps they have a different value in this pref.
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Dom.max_script_run_time

Date: March 09, 2010 02:29AM

Thank you for the prompt reply !

What is your recommendation on the entry?

Should I set it to "0" (zero)?

Has anyone done it before with KM?

JamesD
Oh, I just checked the value of both KM and FF.

Both have the same value --- "10" (Ten).

But FF don't give me that "script took too long" error but KM does.

Hmm....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 02:31AM by penang.

Date: March 09, 2010 02:49AM

I don't think zero would be good. I don't have FF so I did not know both were the same. Maybe this is not the right thing to change.

You could try a 15 just to see what happens. I will look to see what else might be needed. Can you give me the URL of a page where the error happens?

Posted by: Lux
Date: March 09, 2010 04:03AM

That message is usually displayed when script execution is taking so much time. It's probably because of KM's old Gecko Engine.

KM 1.5.x has Gecko 1.8.1 that is used in Firefox2. On the other hand, Firefox 3.6(current version) has Gecko 1.9.2 that is so much faster than Gecko 1.8.1. That would be why the problem you mentioned doesn't happen on Firefox.

KM doesn't have XUL and definitely is "lighter"(uses less resource) than Firefox. However, it is not "faster" than Firefox 3.x in terms of page rendering due to the difference in what version of Gecko they have.

Right now, KM 1.6 with Gecko 1.9.1 is under development, just so you know.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 09, 2010 07:41AM

So the timeout-delay needs to be higher for the 1.5x version, until KM 1.6 is released.

By the way the alpha-version of KM is already on the download page, and while not yet finished, my current impression is that the yet missing stuff seems to concern mostly the 'handling' of the browser itself (settings for search engines, mouse gestures etc.), not really the page display. Haven't tested it much yet, but surfing itself really seems to work quite well already, so if you like give it a try, just to compare on pages like that one...

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 09, 2010 01:23PM

penang
Thank you for the prompt reply !

What is your recommendation on the entry?

Should I set it to "0" (zero)?

Has anyone done it before with KM?

JamesD
Oh, I just checked the value of both KM and FF.

Both have the same value --- "10" (Ten).

But FF don't give me that "script took too long" error but KM does.

Hmm....

Penang,

Hmmm, on my 1.5.4, I see 20, not 10. Do you have the URL where the script stalls?

N

Date: March 09, 2010 03:03PM

This one, dom.max_chrome_script_run_time, has 20 on 1.5.4 and 0 on 1.6 alpha.
And this one, dom.max_script_run_time, has a value of 10 on both. I don't think I have ever changed either one.
Without the specific page, I cannot test.

Posted by: desga2
Date: March 09, 2010 11:43PM

dom.max_script_run_time
default value in KM 1.5.4 is 10, try to change it to 20 or 30.
Also you can try to block JavaScript in privacy bar or change User Agent string in menu Tools -> User Agent

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 10, 2010 01:37AM

JamesD
This one, dom.max_chrome_script_run_time, has 20 on 1.5.4 and 0 on 1.6 alpha.
And this one, dom.max_script_run_time, has a value of 10 on both. I don't think I have ever changed either one.
Without the specific page, I cannot test.

JamesD,

I see that, my settings are exactly the same as yours. As I run KM with a ram drive in place of the disk drive (hard drive), I get quite a speed boost. I went to slashdot and looked for messages that had over 200 respondents but even there I never ran into that script error message.

N

Date: March 11, 2010 03:57AM

After I changed the setting to "0" (Zero) the error message doesn't appear anymore.

But anyway, it used to appear (before I change the setting) at any Slashdot.org's thread with 300 or more messages.

And oh yeah, you need to become a member of slashdot and turn on the setting so that every-single-message-appear to make the annoying "script took too long" error to appear on KM.

Thank you guys again !!

Grazie !!

Danke !!

Merci !!

Gracias !!

Spaciba !!

Xie Xie !!

Arigado !!

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.