General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Profiles.ini
Posted by: bellgamin
Date: March 10, 2010 08:35PM

1- I use MAXA Cookie Manager. It works fine for all my browsers except K-mel. I wrote MAXA support about this. They asked me IF K-mel's file "profiles.ini" is located in the following folder...
C:\Documents and Settings[user]\Application Data\K-Meleon\

2- I told MAXA that the above folder exists, but it is empty. Instead, the "profiles.ini" file is located in...
C:\Program Files\Browsers\K-Meleon\Profiles\

3- MAXA replied:

According to best practices for Windows applications, because of the security model in Windows Vista, it is not recommended any more to save user related settings into Program Files subdirectories. Security could get compromised because of that. However, indeed, K-Meleon allows to do this when you uncheck a default option in the installation wizard.

4- Is MAXA correct in what they said?
5- Please tell me how I can re-configure K-mel so that it will put "profiles.ini" into folder...
C:\Documents and Settings[user]\Application Data\K-Meleon\

6- By the way, MAXA said that, in the near future, they will issue a change to Cookie Manager whereby it will allow custom settings for locating K-mel's cookies.

7- I Like the MAXA Cookie Manager because it works automatically with ALL popular browsers (except K-mel). Why do I use multiple browsers? I do so because I am webmaster for several websites. Therefore I use MANY browsers to check how my sites display in each of them. (BUT K-mel is the browser I use for personal surfing.)

8- I will greatly appreciate any comments/answers to my queries in paragraphs 4 & 5. Aloha from Hawaii ---- bellgamin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Profiles.ini
Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 10, 2010 09:31PM

No, Bellgamin, you're wrong, profiles.ini is set in the folder profiles.

When installing, you must keep 'Install in user folder' (or something like this), and it the installs in c:\docuemnts & settings\<username>\application data\K-Meleon\profiles\<crypteName>\..., and the path is then correct.

For now, you have a file name profile.ini (without s) in K-Meleon folder. Delete it, and launch K-Meleon, and you see that your profile is now located where your tool wants it.

You have just then to keep some files in old profile (bookmarks, cookies, and perhaps s file) and to copy it under the new profile folder. Test it and remove the old location.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: siria
Date: March 11, 2010 01:00AM

bellgamin
3- MAXA replied:

According to best practices for Windows applications, because of the security model in Windows Vista, it is not recommended any more to save user related settings into Program Files subdirectories. Security could get compromised because of that. However, indeed, K-Meleon allows to do this when you uncheck a default option in the installation wizard.

4- Is MAXA correct in what they said?

It's also a matter of personal preferences... :cool:
Frankly I'm not all too familiar with the various users restrictions in XP/Vista/7, but the basic principle is that only the user who is currently logged in at windows, is allowed to look into his user data folder. Other users of that computer are not allowed to see other user folders than their own. That is, if the admin has not disabled that security feature, what a lot (if not most) people do :cool: Important to know, the current user has by default better writing rights in this folder than in "c:/programs".

On the other hand many computers are only used by a single user anyway, and among them may be stubborn individuals who prefer their settings inside the program folder, to have "everything together" of a program :cool: That may require giving oneself more writing rights manually for that folder (what lots of people don't know how to), and this probably also means that the program itself gets more rights. That is a point to consider.
The other point is that such a "portable all-in-one" program can be copied onto a USB-stick or onto another computer, and will work with remembering your user settings (bookmarks etc.)
If you copy a program folder elsewhere though, which has his profiles outside of itself (in user-data-folder), then you will produce a new and empty profile on the other computer, while your 'real' profile is not with you, it's still only at your own computer at home.

With K-Meleon you can decide at setup which version you want:
1) Choose "multi-user" setup and it will create your profiles in user-data-folder.
2) Choose "single-user" setup and it will create it inside the program folder.

Version 2) does not really mean that you couldn't have multiple profiles inside the program folder. The way it works is just to create an empty file "profile.ini" in the program folder, and simply the existance of this file will prompt K-Meleon to search for and create the profiles inside the program folder itself. Even later you can always switch that behaviour by adding or removing that empty "profile.ini" file in the top KM-folder. Attention, there are two very similar files! "profile.ini" is in top folder (always empty), and the "profileS.ini" is in the profiles folder, which contains the actual paths to the various profiles.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 01:05AM by siria.

Date: March 12, 2010 03:40AM

Thanks to both of you for the help you have provided.

MAXA Cookie Manager issued a change the day after I called this issue to their attention. I am now able to specify a custom location for K-mel's cookies. Thus, MAXA is now able automatically to locate the cookies for all 11 browsers installed on my computer (my prior post explains why I have so many browsers.) MAXA also spots Web Bugs & Flash cookies -- real pests that are invisible to most cookie managers.

Inasmuch as I have a lot of browsers, I can say with *some authority* that Chrome is the only browser that matches K-mel for speed. The newest version of Opera also comes close to K-mel's speed, if you set the Opera browser to do turbo speed automatically. However, both Chrome & Opera are MUCH greater RAM & CPU hogs, by far, than K-mel. With respect to system resources, K-mel is by far the lightest of all my 11 browsers.

By the way, a major factor in ANY browsers speed is the particular security apps that are running in real-time on one's computer. Concerning which, you might find it interesting to read THIS article, written by a physicist/computer geek.

I am very grateful to all those who work on coding K-mel, and to all the folks on this forum who provide such helpful and friendly support to neophytes like me.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: March 12, 2010 07:06AM

bellgamin
... to neophytes like me

Funny, I remember your posts a few years ago smiling smiley

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: March 13, 2010 02:38AM

"Neophyte" is relative. Relative to my computer-detesting wife, I am a computer geek. Relative to JuJu-sensei et al, I am a neophyte. (^_^)

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 14, 2010 12:38AM

bellgamin
I am a neophyte. (^_^)

In my language neophythe is mostly used as "new plant" brought in.

Because of You folks' comments i looked into dics.

Religion: also convert.

Strange finding - IMHO we all have been into our faith & browser since long, haven't we?

grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2010 12:42AM by guenter.

Date: March 18, 2010 06:13AM

Aloha Guenter,

As to "neophyte", I looked it up HERE and found the following...

Noun
neophyte (plural neophytes)
A beginner.
A novice (recent convert), a new convert or proselyte.
(Christianity) A name given by the early Christians, and still given by the Roman Catholics, to those who have recently embraced the Christian faith, and been admitted to baptism, especially those converts from heathenism or Judaism.
(biology) A plant species recently introduced to an area (in contrast to archaeophyte, a long-established introduced species).

I have made bold the usage I had in mind.

I am loving 1.6a3. It is very stable, & seems faster than prior versions of K-mel. IS it faster, or is it just my imagination?

Warm regards,
Bill Bellgamin

Date: March 18, 2010 03:56PM

You are no beginner sad smiley

IMHO 1.6 is faster than 1.5.

From what I read & found (if it is right? so ingest with a portion of salt).

Compared to the last GRE generation (where probably Opera and K-Meleon where fastest on script?) the new HTML engines with JIT compilers of JavaScript make current browser engines ten or more times faster on JavaScript(pages) that can be compiled. If JS cannot be compiled they loose time trying and are slightly slower.

HTML rendering speed should be still much the same.

Generally new browsers are faster. This includes K-Meleon 1.6.

They do not only benefit from code but also from new, better compilers.

2 Examples. Dorians VC7.1 build 1.8 GREs are faster than VC6 build 1.8 GRE from Mozilla.org. VC8 using Mozilla Custom C Runtime can build an 1.8 GRE for K-Meleon 1.5.x that is is up to 30% faster than official.

p.s. Dorian is not compiling 1.6 GRE for speed but for fixes currently.

Official K-Meleon GRE always favour small size not primarily speed.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 04:06PM by guenter.

Posted by: panzer
Date: March 18, 2010 04:40PM

http://www.wordnik.com/words/neophyte
http://www.wordnik.com/words/neophyte/definitions#ahd

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 04:41PM by panzer.

Date: March 19, 2010 07:42PM

guenter
Compared to the last GRE generation...
Interesting post. But "GRE"??? Graduate Record Examination? Generic Routing Encapsulation? Greek Research Engineer? Gorgeous Redhead Eskimo?

Duhh Which?

/s/
The Neophyte (^_^)

Posted by: siria
Date: March 19, 2010 08:07PM

Just wild guessing... Gecko Rendering Engine? grinning smiley

But sorry, I must join the others, you cannot possible claim to be "new" (neo) at K-Meleon, nor even a beginner of using that browser :cool: "neo" origines from "new", and I just feel strongly this refers to time, not skills or any qualities. Think of those "new plants", or a boy in a new school. He certainly is a beginner in the beginning, but whether he learns anything there or not, after awhile he just can't call himself neither new nor a beginner at that school anymore ;-)

But I wanted to thank you for your experiences with those 11 browsers, such real-use speed tests are just much more credible than any more scientific stuff, mostly under rather one-sided conditions. As they say, never trust a statistics you haven't faked yourself tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 08:10PM by siria.

Date: March 19, 2010 09:03PM

bellgamin
guenter
Compared to the last GRE generation...
Interesting post. But "GRE"??? Graduate Record Examination? Generic Routing Encapsulation? Greek Research Engineer? Gorgeous Redhead Eskimo?

Duhh Which?

/s/
The Neophyte (^_^)

Scratch head. :s I am certain I found it once.

Did not previous edition of
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRE
mention: Geek Runtime Engine. Device to drive this vehicle.

Date: March 20, 2010 09:56PM

siria
But sorry, I must join the others, you cannot possible claim to be "new" (neo) at K-Meleon, nor even a beginner of using that browser :cool: "neo" origines from "new", and I just feel strongly this refers to time, not skills or any qualities.
Okay, I am not a neophyte (beginner).

Ergo, when it comes to browser design, I am *feckless*. (^_^)

Aloha,
Bellgamin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Filasufee...
++Insanity is hereditary. You get it from your children.
++Discussion is an exchange of knowledge. Argument is an exchange of ignorance.
++The right to be heard does not include the right to be taken seriously.

-30-

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.