General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: This guy says KM is outdated !!
Posted by: siria
Date: March 23, 2010 08:48PM

Guenter
Bei niedrigen Bandbreiten hingegen belegt Chrome den letzten Platz.

What I'm saying all the time - never trust a statistics you haven't bend yourself tongue sticking out smiley

But frankly, that "old-fashioned" aspect may not necessarily be considered a disadvantage by all readers. Frankly, whether I look at windows versions (win98 vs vista=horror), IE browser, cars, cell phones, digital cameras, TV-Recorders with a hundred functions which sure are cool, but more or less hard to figure out - and often hide the real *basic* functions. So again and again I find myself confused and just wishing the good old EASY things back, that did exactly what they were expected to, witout needing to study the manual for twenty hours! And if not using that thing daily, you forget the tricks again and have to study it yet *again* for every use, or beware, you may even have to switch between different devices. So you're constantly searching... and searching... and searching just to find at least the quite easy functions that you *really* need!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: chinarobin
Date: March 24, 2010 01:41AM

"benchmark speed" or "real speed"

you can try the km 1.5 and km 1.6a3.

can u tell the difference?

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 24, 2010 05:11AM

chinarobin
"benchmark speed" or "real speed"

you can try the km 1.5 and km 1.6a3.

can u tell the difference?

Yes, I have always been testing and comparing 1.5 and 1.6.

Posted by: guenter (a89-182-95-217.net-htp.de)
Date: February 10, 2009 02:41AM

in http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,88719

1.6 (GRE 1.9.1) is ABSOLUT the fastest current browser for JS heavy pages.
No matter what compiler!

Settings and prefs are negliable but can speed up all GRE.
Per se they can achiece a lot - but cannot blure speed diffs reaally.

At least with alike settings the faster GRE will be IMHO faster.

On the same day a new chrome came out & was fastest.grinning smiley
But I found that a few days later when I compared with other browers.

Link by steve in the same thread. He did not check the dates and used 64 bit OS.

But 1.6 and 1.5 is the same browser. smiling smiley so You are not comparing 1.5 and 1.6. You are comparing their html and script engines.

I also compared 1.6s with all different engines that I could get to work with them. Silly me even learned to build engines - so that my engines only had K-Meleon's typical subset of dll and xpt.grinning smiley

Much of GRE 1.8 and GRE 1.9 has the same feeling for K-meleon (starting fast, building big div fields and table fields fast...) except that the more recent 1.9's have faster JS as extra edge.

The benchmarks problem is described in the German text.

The benchmarks measure "benchmark speed". Subtle changes in the tests make that another browser is ahead and faster.

That is why siria says: What I'm saying all the time - never trust a statistics you haven't bend yourself

What in the browser gives You "real speed" for every day purposes?

Besides the html and script engine - fast usability - e.g. whether native mouse gestures exist, whether they are done via XUL/JavaSript or via dll (the later is IMHO faster and more reactive to my input). How fast it starts up... Many things.

For me it always was K-Meleon or Opera. Except that I prefer on job tools.

p.s. If only JavaScript speed counted - we'd all changed to Google chrome some months ago and changed to Opera recently. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 05:19AM by guenter.

Date: March 24, 2010 06:51AM

guenter

I have an outdated AMD Turion 64 with a mere 4 GB RAM and outdated, legacy XP because Vista did not live up to what MS full mouthed slogans promised. I am not going to join Your race.

BTW. On this machine IE 8 as definitely slower on JS than K-Meleon 1.5.4. That IE 8 is one of the "new, better" browsers & this is the only machine that counts for me.

You have an outdated machine...with mere 4 GB ram...

here have a look see

Now that`s old....

It was taken 10 minutes after the fresh install...

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Posted by: foobarly
Date: March 24, 2010 01:39PM

Shouldn't be doing Vista 7 on such a machine, Gorilla. What's wrong with XP?

--- sig ---

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/24/2010 01:40PM by foobarly.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: March 24, 2010 05:29PM

Was thinking the same thing when he posted that smiling smiley ...There should be nothing slow about his PC w/4GB RAM on XP. Maybe the processor's slightly old but that hardly makes much of a difference when performing normal tasks compared to live memory.

I agree though that you shouldn't be using vista or 7 on 256MB RAM. Played w/7 on a laptop recently. I found no real world advantages over XP other than some eye candy.

Posted by: jemmi
Date: March 25, 2010 10:14AM

WTF 'yesteryear'!!! The post of this guy is surely oudated now. Google Gmail, Google Docs, Google Maps and Yahoo Mail still working fine... I downloaded KM at first because the real features of KM is to be a 'light & alternative browser'. I think that using KM on my other oldie computer which is a P100 is a amazing bonus. smiling smiley

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 25, 2010 01:48PM

jsnj

Was thinking the same thing when he posted that smiling smiley ...There should be nothing slow about his PC w/4GB RAM on XP. Maybe the processor's slightly old but that hardly makes much of a difference when performing normal tasks compared to live memory.

I agree though that you shouldn't be using vista or 7 on 256MB RAM. Played w/7 on a laptop recently. I found no real world advantages over XP other than some eye candy.

jsnj,

Agree completely and the so-called security feature which requires you, on a case to case basis, register individual folders is nuts. Causes lots of problems with some programs (if you use User instead of Admin).

N

Date: March 25, 2010 02:24PM

jsnj

1.) Turion 64 X2 Mobile in Amilo PA 2510 is 2007/2008 tech.

1.80 gigahertz AMD Pentium 4
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache

It is an outdated contemporary to outdated K-Meleon 1.5.2/3. grinning smiley

The PC was a proctalgia (PITA) with its original Vista and is a racehorse on any normal chore with nlite slimmed XP. This includes graphic editing and compiling apps as long as it runs cool.

I was mostly ironic to the the cnets "homage" to old hardware because the Amilo has the muscle to run all JavaScript tests without hardware penalty. K-Meleon 1.6 is hard to beat on any JS test on limited hardware e.g. on a pentium 100 with MB not GB RAM grinning smiley. So this PC is slower but but can compare tests. K-Meleon 1.5 is IMHO faster than the Trident/IE8 based EC browser choice competitors. That is faster than 1/3 to more than half of competing browsers.

2.) I doubt: that Gorilla should not use it smiling smiley

Windows 7 was optimized to be much faster than Vista. So it already breaks the rule of thumb that any Windows is slower than the previous. Since nlite can slim XP to Windows2000 level & knowing Gorilla's slimming furor on K-M, my bet is that his screenshot shows a slimmed Win7. Vlite can be used to slim Windows 7.

Maybe slimmed up to XP or Win200 level? It should be possible.

p.s. There is maybe less reason to join the rat race for newer hardware ... - than we think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2010 02:32PM by guenter.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: April 03, 2010 07:43AM

Ennoying the fact that after deletion of the spam, the forum returns an error when clicking on Last post.

Perhaps due to the fact that it probably begun a new page ?

[edit]
No, the problem comes because the post even if deleted in the thread is always here as the last post. A possible bug in remove function.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 07:45AM by JujuLand.

Date: April 03, 2010 07:53AM

JujuLand
Ennoying the fact that after deletion of the spam, the forum returns an error when clicking on Last post.

Perhaps due to the fact that it probably begun a new page ?

[edit]
No, the problem comes because the post even if deleted in the thread is always here as the last post. A possible bug in remove function.

A+

So You were at work also. smiling smiley
Some moderator items do not work when language is set to German. sad smiley

The spammer today seems to have scripted. I was not getting anywhere.
Finally I poisoned his customer's URL. grinning smiley

p.s. & I will not buy cheap nike shoes in future tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 08:18AM by guenter.

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 03, 2010 07:30PM

guenter
For the rest: On my system K-Meleon and Opera will have opened & rendered the start page before IE is fully loaded.

IE can be made to open incredibly fast, Well, for IE that is, by adding
" -nohome" (w/o the quotes) to the Target value i.e. "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome Which is far faster than "about:blank" but of course this is without any home page. Though still any version of KM opens and loads a home page faster. I haven't tried this with IE7 or 8 as 7 won't install on XP with SP3 and it seems I connot install 8 without 7 but with KM browsers; Who cares?!tongue sticking out smiley I just wish more web site developer would learn that Gecko Is Gecko. By creating sites/pages that sniff out only particular browsers, do you think that perhaps devlopers are creating more business for them selves?

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2010 07:41PM by caktus.

Date: April 03, 2010 10:07PM

I did not know how to make IE start fast. Thx for update smiling smiley

caktus
By creating sites/pages that sniff out only particular browsers, do you think that perhaps developers are creating more business for them selves?

IE's quirks resulted in extra work. That was IMHO immensely unpopular with most web designers & that was its bad karma: they control what is written in the web. grinning smiley

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: April 05, 2010 02:44PM

jsnj

heck, NOBODY should be using Win7 on any machine with 512Mb RAM or less; maybe with 768Mb of RAM or higher, Win7 could be used. doesn't Win7's minimum system requirements say that 1Gb of RAM should be used (for 32bit systems) and 2Gb of RAM (for 64bit systems)? I'm sure of that. check the Win7 FAQ page for system requirements.

Win7 runs like crap on systems with inadequate amount of RAM and slow CPU & hard drive.
if you wanna see Win7's true speed enhancements, put it on a machine with at least 1Gb of RAM and a superfast CPU.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 02:46PM by 4td8s.

Posted by: caktus
Date: April 06, 2010 10:16AM

guenter
I did not know how to make IE start fast. Thx for update smiling smiley

caktus
By creating sites/pages that sniff out only particular browsers, do you think that perhaps developers are creating more business for them selves?

IE's quirks resulted in extra work. That was IMHO immensely unpopular with most web designers & that was its bad karma: they control what is at the very least the registry. But when written in the web. grinning smiley

Yeah, but once it's set it's good to go, and of course regardless of scenario it always pays to have a reliable backup of the system or at the vary least the registry. But when it comes to speed and vastness and ease of customizability, KM seems to beat them all, hands down.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.