General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Five things to get better than Firefox for me
Posted by: Tris
Date: March 17, 2010 08:39PM

Hi K-Meleon community! I'm glad to have discovered K-Meleon. Personally I love Firefox but for my computer it is getting too resource hog. Even typing in Gmail with Autohoykey is lagging.
And, as I said, I'm a noobie at K-Meleon, but not too n00b at browsers in general. So some of the things below may sound ridiculous, and I apologise for that in advance.

So, the things I miss are:

1 - Have all links or anytihng open in tabs, not in a new window under any circumstances.
2 - Something equal to Adblock plus extension for Firefox. Ads are so anoying and not fashion at all.
3 - Since my mouse has broken it's wheel, I can't scroll easily. Using the scrollbar is annoying for productivity. So I found, at Firefox, an extension called "Mouse Gestures". So, it behaves like the 'hand' function of the PDF readers, and we can drag up and down the screen.
4 - Is there any bookmark live (on the fly) searching function or the 'awesome bar' in Firefox?
5 - The most important one: how to change the keyboard shortcuts? I mean, I know Ctrl+W is the very default for closing tabs, but I personally think Alt+Q is much more comfortable. How to change?

Thanks for the help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 08:39PM by Tris.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Five things to get better than Firefox for me
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: March 17, 2010 08:56PM

Tris
1 - Have all links or anytihng open in tabs, not in a new window under any circumstances.

I don't use tabs, but K-meleon uses tabs (layers), so maybe another user can help here better.

Tris
2 - Something equal to Adblock plus extension for Firefox. Ads are so anoying and not fashion at all.

There is already for K-meleon: http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ (Privacy&Security)

Tris
3 - Since my mouse has broken it's wheel, I can't scroll easily. Using the scrollbar is annoying for productivity. So I found, at Firefox, an extension called "Mouse Gestures". So, it behaves like the 'hand' function of the PDF readers, and we can drag up and down the screen.

Check the preferences. You have them there.

Tris
4 - Is there any bookmark live (on the fly) searching function or the 'awesome bar' in Firefox?

:-? I don't know that I don't use Firefox (only occasionally) but you can search in your bookmarks by go to editing and just type, but it would be better if you organize them winking smiley

Tris
5 - The most important one: how to change the keyboard shortcuts? I mean, I know Ctrl+W is the very default for closing tabs, but I personally think Alt+Q is much more comfortable. How to change?

You can do it editing the accel.cfg in your profile folder.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2010 08:57PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: March 17, 2010 09:04PM

(1) Try EDIT - PREFERENCES - BROWSING - WINDOW DIVERSION
(2) Addblock is available for KM
(3) Try EDIT - PREFERENCES - K-MELEON PLUGINS - MOUSE GESTURES
(5) Try EDIT - CONFIGURATION - ACCELERATORS
also check here http://two.xthost.info/kmeleon/lizard/commands.html#l_defaccel

Posted by: siria
Date: March 17, 2010 09:12PM

grinning smiley grinning smiley I knew it, until I finished typing someone else would already have posted the list grinning smiley
Anyway, the more people the more complete all aspects are covered, so I'm posting my version too, LOL!

1) Edit > Preferences > Browsing (or simply F2): There's a dropdown field for the howto-"open" options.

2) Has a built-in Adblock, though I guess rather basic. Tools > Privacy > Block Advertisement. Or F2 > Content Filters, same setting with important notes at bottom (CSS...)
But there's also an extension with the 'real' Adblock, IIRC from the Adblock-Author himself, on his own website. Guess it's also in the KM extensions sites...

3) Tools > Mouse Gestures, although I can't quite imagine there's anything like a "hand function", or I've overlooked, hmm... And you probably know already that you can hit the space tab to scroll pagewise...?

4) Bookmarks > Edit > Start typing out of the blue, then F3 to find next.

5) Edit > Configuration > Accelerators. Contains a link to more information.
K-Meleon/defaults/settings/accel.cfg contains the default settings for new profiles, might be helpful to figure it out better, and then make the changes in the user accel.cfg in the profile folder. It overwrites the default sheet.

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 18, 2010 05:31AM

3.) Apart from gestures. You can also use the keyboard to scroll.

Posted by: Doon
Date: March 18, 2010 09:43AM

Welcome, Tris.

3) It's not what you're asking for but a middle click should drop an anchor that will allow you to scroll in any direction with mouse movement.

5) Supplementing the links you've already been given, I'm compelled to say that I wrote some notes HERE about 'creating your own accelerator hotkeys' (written as I learned it, by a n00b for n00bs).

Specifically, add the following line to your accel.cfg (Edit --> Configuration --> Accelerators)

ALT Q = ID_CLOSE_TAB

That will give you what you're after and as it turns out Alt-Q will not conflict with (or replace) any other default key mapping.

>> Have all links or anything open in tabs, not in a new window under any circumstances.

I've wished for this too but window diversion settings only go so far. Some things like view image or view cache information always open a new window instead of a tab. I don't know why but I suspect such behaviour might be encoded into macros. I'd welcome any hints or solutions to this.

>> so I'm posting my version too

;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 10:20AM by Doon.

Date: March 18, 2010 10:52AM

Doon, good point about view-image etc. Wish that were added to that prefs tab. But until then it's quite easy to change, since you're right, it's in a macro: main.kmm
Look in it for the text of the menu entry you search (View Image). but can't tell you details at the moment, am at work not home.

Thinking about it, it's actually the same as in my minimacro Open Image in New...

Thinking yet AGAIN, hmm.... not sure anymore if View Image really is in main.kmm... There was *something* of the kind, but cant look it up without my own compi at the moment, argh. Perhaps I'd better shut up until checking and knowing for sure *blush*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 11:45AM by siria.

Posted by: Daveski17
Date: March 18, 2010 11:36AM

Speaking of KM's adblocker, I find the built in adblocker is good enough if you occasionally use the 'Kill Flash' button on the Privacy Bar. It seems to re-vitalise the K-Meleon's own adblocker. In fact I find that the Kill Flash button is so useful I have the Privacy Bar on the Menu Bar but only with about 4 buttons revealed when I am in Phoenity (Normal size). I much prefer KM to Firefox. In fact I don't use Firefox any more.

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Date: March 18, 2010 12:09PM

Thanks siria! I see you've been thinking and editing your posting, please stop, hehe.

I was able to get the cache information for an image to open in a tab by editing "main.kmm" and changing the last line in the "moz_AboutCache_Image" macro from "OpenURL_InNewWindow" to "OpenURL_InNew".

However, after much poking around I couldn't get View Image or Cache Infomation (for pages) to open any differently, perhaps because they are tied to command IDs that I couldn't find any way to unravel (ID_VIEW_IMAGE, ID_VIEW_FRAME_INFO, ID_VIEW_PAGE_INFO).

I will play with your View Image in new Tab macro next, which should take of the 'view image' issue.

Date: March 18, 2010 05:39PM

Thanks people!! I sorted almost everything!

But, about the mousedragging? I still haven't found it.

And about Accel.cfg? Where can I see examples of customized cfg files so I can learn by example? I admit the syntax form at the beginning of the file...But then I read Doon`s post and its fine! grinning smiley

Thanks JamesD for your help too.

@siria:

3) Tools > Mouse Gestures, although I can't quite imagine there's anything like a "hand function", or I've overlooked, hmm... And you probably know already that you can hit the space tab to scroll pagewise...?

I can, but this scrolls too much and only downwards... Sometimes only a little scroll is the way to go.

4) Bookmarks > Edit > Start typing out of the blue, then F3 to find next.

Thanks.

@daveski17

Speaking of KM's adblocker, I find the built in adblocker is good enough if you occasionally use the 'Kill Flash' button on the Privacy Bar. It seems to re-vitalise the K-Meleon's own adblocker. In fact I find that the Kill Flash button is so useful I have the Privacy Bar on the Menu Bar but only with about 4 buttons revealed when I am in Phoenity (Normal size). I much prefer KM to Firefox. In fact I don't use Firefox any more.

Nice! But how to add a shortcut key (do we call them accelerators for K-Meleon?) to use the flash killing thing? Also, I'd love an animated-gif-killer too.

Apart from that all I need is to get used to the browser in general.

Thanks a lot!

Date: March 18, 2010 07:07PM

Doon
I was able to get the cache information for an image to open in a tab by editing "main.kmm" and changing the last line in the "moz_AboutCache_Image" macro from "OpenURL_InNewWindow" to "OpenURL_InNew".

Ah, I knew there had been *something* that I had changed myself this way, perhaps it was this grinning smiley
There are actually four macros in a row where one can crop off the "window". By the way, just in case someone wonders, "InNew" does not always mean open "tab", rather "take the preference the user has set for other stuff to open" :cool: And if tabs are not enabled at all, it's no prob, now "InNew" will simply open a new window. It's really the all-purpose command that I use all the time grinning smiley

Doon
However, after much poking around I couldn't get View Image or Cache Infomation (for pages) to open any differently, perhaps because they are tied to command IDs that I couldn't find any way to unravel (ID_VIEW_IMAGE, ID_VIEW_FRAME_INFO, ID_VIEW_PAGE_INFO).

Yep, looks like they are already included in the k-meleon.exe, as a text editor shows ;-) So there's nothing left to do but to create new macros that open the same stuff in tabs, and then to add those new macro commands in the menus, or even replace the ID-commands with them.
For the very easy image-view I had done that and like it, for the page cache I haven't really felt a need yet, LOL, but just for fun couldn't resist playing now:
The cache-info for IMAGES is a default macro, a rather complicated one (for me at least). The cache-info for PAGES interestingly produces the same URLs, so theoretically, why not just copy the image-macro, replace the $ImageURL in it with $URL (for pages), kick out the three image-stuff-lines for local files, and look what happens... And hey, it actually works! grinning smiley

---------------------------
minimacros_pagecacheinfo{
macroinfo=_("View cache information for current page in new Tab or Window");
$__key=$URL; $__i=index($__key,"#"); $__key=$__i==-1?$__key:substr($__key,0,$__i);
index($__key,"http://")==0?$__client="HTTP&sb=1":$__client="";
index($__key,"https://")==0?$__client="HTTP-memory-only&sb=1":0;
$OpenURL="about:cache-entry?client=".$__client."&key=".$__key;
$__client==""?0:&OpenURL_InNew;
}

(include in menu-macro, the last entry means "place above this", can also be "-1" for "add at end": )
setmenu("Page Pro&perties",macro,"Cache Information in Tab",minimacros_pagecacheinfo,"Cache &Information");
setmenu("Page &Properties",macro,"Cache Information in Tab",minimacros_pagecacheinfo,"Cache &Information");
---------------------------

There exists also a variable "$FrameURL" that could be replaced ;-)
http://freenet-homepage.de/CoolMcKluus/software/kmeleon/project/reference/macrolanguage/index2.html
Frankly, I feel this is a little bit over the top, but just for fun, LOL! grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 06:15PM by siria.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: March 18, 2010 07:16PM

There's an extension for View Image in a tab @ Extensions Central
ImageTab

Below it on the same page is Nuke Image which should work on gifs. Just download and extract into K-Meleon directory, then restart K-M.

For accelerators: Edit - Configuration - Accelerators, add the following to kill flash with the F12 key or Ctrl K. You can use whatever key or key combo you want. Refer to this page for key names.

VK_F12 = macros(JS_killFlash)

or

CTRL K = macros(JS_killFlash)

Posted by: guenter
Date: March 18, 2010 07:25PM

Drag mouse action needs another (special, it is bigger, more code) mouse plugin. AFAIK Hao's CCF version might have it. If so, get it (it is in K-Meleon ./plugins folder of that version). You can IMHO use it with standard version.

Yes, accels we call them that.

A gif killer is in a hidden button in Privacy bar.
So its in toolbars.cfg of used skin.

Clean the '#' before each line to make the button visible/usable (normal editor).

# Animation{
# macros(pref_ToggleAnimation)
# Block Image Animation
# privhot.bmp[0]
# privcold.bmp[0]
# }

You could probably create an accelerator for it.

p.s. see above in jsnj's post. Analogous.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 07:27PM by guenter.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: March 18, 2010 07:41PM

For the first 3 items(Links, Linked Images, Images) within the Page Properties context menu to open in tabs instead of new windows add the following prefs to about:config and set the Boolean value to true:

kmeleon.plugins.macros.docinfo.forceTab.images
kmeleon.plugins.macros.docinfo.forceTab.docinfo.forceTab.linkedImages
kmeleon.plugins.macros.docinfo.forceTab.docinfo.forceTab.links

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: March 18, 2010 09:52PM

Hi, Tris & guenter,

I think I can help understanding - not solving, I am afraid.

Tris

The extension is called grab and drag and is the only thing I miss a bit, too. It is not in Hao's CCF, AFAIK - guenter, I think you're confusing that with Hao's extended LeftDragLinks gestures (which are very well mimicked & extended even more by siria's GesturePlus)

Doon
3) It's not what you're asking for but a middle click should drop an anchor that will allow you to scroll in any direction with mouse movement.

That is in fact what I use now, too. It's nearly as good as grab and drag, ...,well, ...uses less CPU time, I guess, too.
But probably, if your wheel doesn't work, your MButton won't, either?

Searching further, thinking harder, solutions are dawning ...
a bookmarklet?
Or, if you're willing to install Autohotkey... maybe.. I could find something...

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: March 19, 2010 02:56AM

Thank you again Siria, your help and info have been a perfect fit. I now have all of the macros needed to open everything in tabs but I haven't worked out a final menu replacement scheme yet, when I do I think I'll visit your mini-macros thread.

Your pagecacheinfo code above was corrupted by the forum (the index lines), but it's easy to see how you to took the "moz_AboutCache_Image" macro from main.kmm, stripped out the last three "index" lines and then changed the url value in the third line ("$__key="). Copying and renaming the macro and changing $ImageURL to $URL or $FrameURL provides the tab opening functionality for page cache info that I was asking for, replacing the command id functionality just like you suggested. Thanks again, I don't think I'd have ever figured that one out.

Thanks jsnj, for the link to the ImageTab extension and also for the three boolean preferences and explaining their function, I'd seen those at the top of docinfo.kmm and even tried one but was expecting the wrong result, earlier.

The ImageTab macro code for opening an image in a new tab is very simple:

imagetab{
opentab($ImageURL);
}

As for animated GIFs, I wish the stop button would stop animations in progress like every other browser. Toggling 'block image animation' in the privacy menu requires a page reload and Nuke Image, while clever, is a rather... nuclear option. Oh well, enough bending K-Meleon to my will for today.

Tris
Apart from that all I need is to get used to the browser in general.

It does take some getting used to get the most out of it, Tris, but the best thing about it can be seen in our discussion -- it can be customised by the end user in incredible ways. The best lesson anyone can learn about K-Meleon is that almost any obstacle can be overcome with a little patience and help from the forum crew, not to mention the archive of ready-made extensions.

Date: March 19, 2010 03:59PM

Hi, Tris,

found a way for the Autoscroll anchor without MButton.

There is a system requirement, though: your keyboard needs to
have a "Scroll" key (between the "PrintScreen" and the "Break" keys
on my keyboard).

Here is the content of an Autohotkey File that remaps the "Scroll" key to the MButton:
(paste the code to notepad)
#NoTrayIcon
ScrollLock::MButton

save as, say, ascrll.ahk to your startup folder, install Autohotkey, and have autoscroll:
pressing the "Scroll" key gives you the above mentioned anchor, just move your
unpressed mouse to scroll. Disengages on next ScrollKey or mousebutton (any) press.

Edit 1: This would work system wide.
WARNING: of course, remapping the ScrollKey to the MButton gives you ANY MButton action applicable at the current cursor position - if the mouse is on a tab, it might close it! If it is in a completely unrelated window, where the MButton is configured to, say, DELETE ALL, then...
Edit 2: My next post has a solution not involving any external software, just a line in your accels.cfg, and confining the action to K-Meleon.

If you don't want to install Autohotkey, I (-or any other person having installed it) could compile a standalone exe for you. This, alas, would bloat the 34 BYTES of the file to
203 kBytes (Upx-compressed).

concerning that useles key:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scroll_lock

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 12:54PM by SoerenB.

Date: March 19, 2010 06:58PM

Whow, some clever solutions!! grinning smiley

But just to mention some native KM prefs yet:

Tris
this scrolls too much and only downwards... Sometimes only a little scroll is the way to go.

The space bar also scrolls upwards, in combination with the Shift-Key smiling smiley
And as Guenter said, you can also use the keyboard, meaning the cursor keys.

Tris
But how to add a shortcut key (do we call them accelerators for K-Meleon?) to use the flash killing thing? Also, I'd love an animated-gif-killer too.

You can find most command names in that endless but very handy list, updated by desga:
http://two.xthost.info/kmeleon/lizard/commands.html
Helps for shortcuts, toolbar buttons etc.

guenter
A gif killer is in a hidden button in Privacy bar.
So its in toolbars.cfg of used skin.
Clean the '#' before each line to make the button visible/usable (normal editor).

Oh yes, I cannot recommand the Privacy Bar enough grinning smiley Personally I LOVE it, couldn't live without, but of course everyone has different preferences tongue sticking out smiley
View > Toolbars > Privacy Bar
It has a nice collection of block-clear-kill buttons, for most of the commands that are also in the related menu: Tools > Privacy

By the way for animations there's also a setting in the Prefs (F2>Page Display>Images), there one can set them to "Loop only once". Would be my preference, but alas the Privacy Bar button resets it again to either "off" or "on" only. It could be changed to toggle off/once/on, but would need again messing in the main.kmm, and there are still only two button images to indicate the state, so most people might only get mislead.

Doon
As for animated GIFs, I wish the stop button would stop animations in progress like every other browser. Toggling 'block image animation' in the privacy menu requires a page reload and Nuke Image, while clever, is a rather... nuclear option.

My old win98 machine slows down with too many animations as well, so the Block-Animation-Button is almost always firmly pressed :cool: But it's true that it doesn't stop them if they are already loaded. Out there (google) they say animations could be stopped by pressing the "ESC"-button, does that work for anyone...? Not for me, pity.
Now I played and tested some more with it... At the moment the best thing seems to hit the "Offline" button, block the "Animation"-button and then reload from cache, which is done with lightning speed. And then toggle both buttons back. Or for single images it could be done, if animations are blocked for a moment and they are opened in a new tab or window ("View Image"), then its animation finally stops in the other page too. Just this one image. All this could perhaps be done by a new macro, in theory easy, just not sure because I constantly run into problems with stuff that requires little breaks between the single macro lines... Man, so many interesting stuff to play with, but I have already a bunch of other macros in dire need of finishing/updating sad smiley Hmm, but perhaps there already exist extensions/macros dealing with animations - anyone know??

jsnj
For the first 3 items(Links, Linked Images, Images) within the Page Properties context menu to open in tabs instead of new windows add the following prefs to about:config and set the Boolean value to true:

Oh thanks! Those have really bugged me too, always having to pull that tiny window bigger, grmpf. Just not enough yet that I'd start looking for solutions, and now it finally works in tabs smiling smiley

Doon
Your pagecacheinfo code above was corrupted by the forum (the index lines),

Oops... Thanks for the hint! There I had caught and removed the nasty smilies, but completely overlooked the other nasty lines tongue sticking out smiley Now it's okay, thanks. Glad my little experiment helped you smiling smiley

Date: March 19, 2010 09:48PM

Of course, I couldn't resist, shoot ;-)

Anyone feel like testing this??
If it works on other machines too, I'm going to add it to the minimacro-thread.

This adds a menu entry to the other two kill commands, at the bottom of Tools > Privacy, to kill animations in the current page. It toggles the animation settings and reloads a page from cache, setting the browser offline for a moment. The page should be loaded fully before calling the macro, or the reload from cache will produce an "error".

minimacros_killanimTest{
macroinfo="Kill image animation (toggles animations Off-On, and toggles browser On-Offline to reload page from cache)";
$_minianim=getpref(STRING,"image.animation_mode");
setpref(STRING,"image.animation_mode","none");
id(ID_OFFLINE);
id(ID_NAV_RELOAD);
id(ID_OFFLINE);
setpref(STRING,"image.animation_mode",$_minianim);
}

MiniMacrosTest_BuildMenu{
setmenu(_Privacy_Kill,macro,"Kill animation (Reload from cache)",minimacros_killanimTest,-1);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."MiniMacrosTest_BuildMenu;";

Notes: For now I've included the buildmenu-command, so it's a "full" kmm-file. Save under anynameyouwish.kmm, but please just for testing...
PS: Or is there already something like this out there...? Haven't checked, more fun playing *blush*

EDIT:
Caution with this version-1, due to the offline setting it may interrupt currently running downloads, although not sure if download managers are affected too? Alternatively look below for version-2, which works a bit slower, but does not interrupt anything.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 10:15PM by siria.

Date: March 20, 2010 12:03AM

siria
My old win98 machine slows down with too many animations as well, so the Block-Animation-Button is almost always firmly pressed :cool: But it's true that it doesn't stop them if they are already loaded. Out there (google) they say animations could be stopped by pressing the "ESC"-button, does that work for anyone...? Not for me, pity.

ESC equals stop and it stops animations in all browsers but one, elaborate workarounds shouldn't even be necessary. However, your macro works brilliantly! Thank you. I will use it because I refuse to turn off animations, I use 'em and like 'em but I also I like the option of stopping an annoying one while I'm trying to read. It's an elegant solution that works instantly on a per-page, per-tab basis.

I'm sure the macro will be prone to failure due to cache issues and funky pages and will break page loading in other tabs as well as kill a download (the going offline part means it needs to be used with caution), but I like it. I will also probably use the nuke image mentioned earlier, which uses css injection to zap an image. Animation test link: blinkies

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 09:20PM by Doon.

Date: March 20, 2010 05:41AM

Ah, you're right, that offline thing is way to dangerous if a big download is interrupted! I had thought about workarounds, but only now that you say it, I remember: There must be a pref setting somewhere, to "always" load from cache... That should do it, adding another pref toggle instead of offline! Looks easy (in theory)... Will post updated code later (no time at the moment)

SOLVED: Autoscroll without MButton
Date: March 20, 2010 09:05AM

Hi,

forget autohotkey for that one!

as we say in german: "Probieren geht über Studieren" - translate as, maybe, "better try & err than toil & study."

Go to Edit -> Configuration -> Accelerators

Type:
VK_SCROLL = ID_AUTOSCROLL
below all other code.
That's it, restart K-M. Pressing the "Scroll" key now gives you the above mentioned anchor, just move your unpressed mouse to scroll. Disengages on next ScrollKey or (any) mousebutton press.

But, to sing the praise for Grab & Drag again: NO! keyboard scrolling I know of, nor this autoscroll, offers the ease, elegance, and configurability of that FiFo extension. Whoever tells you else was not able to configure it well - IF he/she has really ever used it. I'm sure Tris would agree to that. Tris??

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 12:47PM by SoerenB.

Kill Animations in current page
Date: March 20, 2010 11:30AM

Oh I know the feeling, finding some slightly complicated but very clever solution, then shortly after finishing it it turns out it can also be done far simpler and elegantly. Oh yes, I do that all the time grinning smiley

So now here's the second version of the animation killer, without setting the browser offline. Had a lot of trouble with that one too, until finally realizing that one must not use the explicit "Reload", because that NEVER loads from cache and actually seems to work like "Force Reload"... To really get the fast reload from cache, one must simply click the "Go" button!!
Basically just click the buttons for "Animation" and "Go" and you have almost the same result as this macro does.
The only thing it does additionally is to afterwards toggle the animation button back to its previous state, and in case anyone has his cache set to always load fresh from the web, this setting is toggled too.
And of course, if someone is using no cache at all, then everything is still loaded from the web again.

minimacrosTest_killanim{
macroinfo="Kill image animation (toggles animations Off-On and reloads from cache)";
$_minianim1bak=getpref(STRING,"image.animation_mode");
$_minianim2bak=getpref(INT,"browser.cache.check_doc_frequency");
setpref(INT,"browser.cache.check_doc_frequency",2);
open($URL);
$OnLoadOnce="_minimacrosTest_killanim2;";
}
_minimacrosTest_killanim2{
setpref(STRING,"image.animation_mode",$_minianim1bak);
setpref(INT,"browser.cache.check_doc_frequency",$_minianim2bak);
}

setmenu(_Privacy_Kill,macro,"Kill animation (Reload from cache)",minimacrosTest_killanim,-1);
}

------

If anyone wants a "Kill Animation" button, the command line could be:
macros(minimacrosTest_killanim) | _Privacy_Kill
(The right half is optional, just puts the menu with the 3 killers on right-click)

I've also tried to get a Kill-Single-Image-Animation command. Only got it to work if it opens first the image alone (like "View Image"), then goes back to the previous page again. Looks a bit strange now, but at least it works - uhm, although, not always it seems :O Aaarghh that thing wants to get at me! tongue sticking out smiley

minimacrosTest_killanimIMG{
macroinfo="Kill animation of this image (toggles animations Off-On and reloads from cache)";
open($ImageURL);
$OnLoadOnce="_minimacrosTest_killanimIMG2;";
}
_minimacrosTest_killanimIMG2{
id(ID_NAV_BACK);
}
#insert in buildmenu: setmenu(ImageProperties,macro,"Kill Animation (Reload from cache)",minimacrosTest_killanimIMG,-1);

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 06:48PM by siria.

Re: Kill Animations in current page
Date: March 20, 2010 09:24PM

First of all, my thanks to Tris for inspiring some creativity and discussion which has been educational and helpful for me.

To Soeren, very nice work. Back when you were talking about a standalone compiled exe I began to think it could be invoked using the page context menu, with a quick right-click to keep things mouse only, which could also keep the function in the proper context (on the page). Something like this functional example using placeholder values, "middleclicker.kmm":

meedlecleek{
exec("calc.exe");
}

MiddleClicker_BuildMenu{
setmenu(Document,macro,"Drop Anchor!",meedlecleek,0);
}

$OnInit=$OnInit."MiddleClicker_BuildMenu;";

Then you moved on to the ID_AUTOSCROLL idea, but that doesn't work for me even after trying to invoke it a couple of ways. In fact, I can't find any reference to ID_AUTOSCROLL in K-Meleon 1.5.3 or 1.5.4, so I'm not sure what's happening on your system vs. mine.

Siria, nice work also! It was interesting to see the development process. Before you came back with version two I experimented with your ideas by editing your macro but nothing worked right, I set the check_doc_frequency thing and even tried alternates to the reload function (such as loading about:blank and then invoking 'navigate back' to create a quick refresh, which didn't work). I'm glad you got all of it to work and I definitely appreciate your efforts!

This is all very clever stuff but I'm almost leaning toward using version one despite it's dangers, because of the way it refreshes the page instantly and invisibly for me. Version two is certainly very safe but the refresh is visible and comparatively slow (compared to 'instantly' that is) and I wonder how it might look on a large and bloated page. I'm not complaining here, just making observations after very little testing. I begin to wonder if css tricks could invoke a subtle, instant refresh/update.

Again, thanks so much! smiling smiley

K-Meleon makes you smarter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2010 09:43PM by Doon.

Date: March 20, 2010 10:12PM

Thanks for testing! smiling smiley
We're certainly on the same path there grinning smiley Nothing really worked for me either most of the time, nearly drove me crazy, and am not overly happy with the results either. Perhaps I should keep both versions, we'll see...
And yes the CSS would have been perfect, that was the first thing I looked for, but alas rather quickly gave up: everyone declared "CSS is not made for such tricks" (pausing animation), and the rest declared "just use ESC" :-( Some day KM will probably work with ESC too, but for now I'm just glad to be on a fast connection, so "normal reloads" are not really a prob grinning smiley

Date: March 21, 2010 12:01AM

Hi, Doon,
thx.
Works here, under XP Pro SP3.5, for 1.5.3 & 4 and 1.60.
My guesses: OS-Version related, or you have a different embed.jar?
If you are interested: here is how I found out - maybe you find enough hints there.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: duffy2009
Date: March 21, 2010 01:47AM

siria ... I am interested in trying out your second version of the animation killer. However, I don't know exactly what to do with it or where to put the command.
--------
minimacrosTest_killanim{
macroinfo="Kill image animation (toggles animations Off-On and reloads from cache)";
open($URL);
$OnLoadOnce="_minimacrosTest_killanim2;";
}
_minimacrosTest_killanim2{
}

setmenu(_Privacy_Kill,macro,"Kill animation (Reload from cache)",minimacrosTest_killanim,-1);
}

--------

also, exactly how do I get that "Kill Animation" button?

"If anyone wants a "Kill Animation" button, the command line could be:
macros(minimacrosTest_killanim) | _Privacy_Kill
(The right half is optional, just puts the menu with the 3 killers on right-click)"

I just don't know where to add all these items.

thanks ...

Date: March 21, 2010 03:17AM

Hi, Tris,

found a way for the Autoscroll anchor without MButton.

There is a system requirement, though: your keyboard needs to
have a "Scroll" key (between the "PrintScreen" and the "Break" keys
on my keyboard).

Here is the content of an Autohotkey File that remaps the "Scroll" key to the MButton:
(paste the code to notepad)

#NoTrayIcon
ScrollLock::MButton

save as, say, ascrll.ahk to your startup folder, install Autohotkey, and have autoscroll:
pressing the "Scroll" key gives you the above mentioned anchor, just move your
unpressed mouse to scroll. Disengages on next ScrollKey or mousebutton (any) press.

Edit 1: This would work system wide.
WARNING: of course, remapping the ScrollKey to the MButton gives you ANY MButton action applicable at the current cursor position - if the mouse is on a tab, it might close it! If it is in a completely unrelated window, where the MButton is configured to, say, DELETE ALL, then...
Edit 2: My next post has a solution not involving any external software, just a line in your accels.cfg, and confining the action to K-Meleon.

If you don't want to install Autohotkey, I (-or any other person having installed it) could compile a standalone exe for you. This, alas, would bloat the 34 BYTES of the file to
203 kBytes (Upx-compressed).

What a coincidence, I'm a AutoHotKEy user! But remapping ScrollLock to MButton would be of no pratical effect since I'd need to press that distant button in my keyboard. The idea is to have the mouse do it itself, without being necessary to move my land so far in the keyboard just to scroll. In fact, like I said, I could be using the spacebar to scroll down one page... but sometimes my hand is on the mouse only.

@siria

The space bar also scrolls upwards, in combination with the Shift-Ke

Sorry, I just learnt that! Thanks to you!

And as Guenter said, you can also use the keyboard, meaning the cursor keys.

Like caret browsing? This takes too much time. I've chosen K-Meleon for performance in the first place!

By the way for animations there's also a setting in the Prefs (F2>Page Display>Images), there one can set them to "Loop only once". Would be my preference, but alas the Privacy Bar button resets it again to either "off" or "on" only. It could be changed to toggle off/once/on, but would need again messing in the main.kmm, and there are still only two button images to indicate the state, so most people might only get mislead.

Tks again.

@jsnj

I went to the about:config then typed in the filter: kmeleon.plugins.macros.docinfo.forceTab.docinfo.forceTab. -> No results. So, adding "images" next wouldn't be of any service, obviously. Why?

@SoerenB

But, to sing the praise for Grab & Drag again: NO! keyboard scrolling I know of, nor this autoscroll, offers the ease, elegance, and configurability of that FiFo extension. Whoever tells you else was not able to configure it well - IF he/she has really ever used it. I'm sure Tris would agree to that. Tris??
Yes, I agree, so far, that Grab and Drag (Firefox extension) is unbeatable. But, as you can see, I'm not qualified to agree.

@Doon

First of all, my thanks to Tris for inspiring some creativity and discussion which has been educational and helpful for me.
You're welcome!

But, again, as you all can see, I couldn't follow all of your talk, which was too deep for me. All I am is a "demanding"-good-browser-seeker-and-user. tongue sticking out smiley

Re: Autoscroll without MButton
Date: March 21, 2010 09:35AM

Hi, Tris,

remapping ScrollLock to MButton would be of no pratical effect since I'd need to press that distant button in my keyboard

I strongly sympathize with that!

Well, if you have AutoHotkey installed AND don't use a double RightClick yet, have a look at "Laszlo"'s script (2nd of March, 2006, "If you only want to use double right-click, it is much simpler.") from this AHK forum link.

Replace the line "MsgBox OK ; your double-right-click action here" by
 SendInput {MButton}
and you'll have a system wide MButton action on double RightClick.
Heed my warning above.
This will not interfere with KM's gestures, as other, similar scripts may.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2010 09:37AM by SoerenB.

Re: Autoscroll without MButton
Posted by: disrupted
Date: March 21, 2010 10:08AM
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.