General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Search, and wimper about Un-Specified updated Microsoft libraries
Posted by: koona
Date: March 18, 2010 10:47PM

Hi Folks

I consistantly find the forum "Search feature " comes up with nothing when it imho shouldn't.

For example: today I want to try refurbishing to KM 1.5.4. I endlessly download, do research on version migration, do a string search in the forum search page for [ "updated Microsoft libraries"] which is the exact string used in the literature, and come up with nothing....

How is that possible?

In any case I'm still left wondering what kind of a horror show I might be setting myself up for if I blithely uninstall my prior versions of KM in my win98 machines, and install 1.5.4, keeping my required personal settings. Am I going to end up searching for obscure versions of *.dll's and whatnot in some unspecified updated Microsoft library ? ? ?

Could this mean I might have to install some Other Unspecified software on my computer ? Like possibly some newer version of INTERNET EXPLORER ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Search, and wimper about Un-Specified updated Microsoft libraries
Posted by: guenter
Date: March 18, 2010 11:45PM

koona
I consistantly find the forum "Search feature " comes up with nothing when it imho shouldn't.

How is that possible?

In any case I'm still left wondering what kind of a horror show I might be setting myself up for if I blithely uninstall my prior versions of KM in my win98 machines, and install 1.5.4, keeping my required personal settings. Am I going to end up searching for obscure versions of *.dll's and whatnot in some unspecified updated Microsoft library ? ? ?

Could this mean I might have to install some Other Unspecified software on my computer ? Like possibly some newer version of INTERNET EXPLORER ?

1.) Forum search is a mess since a long time. A known bug sad smiley

Do a search via Google and add keywords that are typical for this site. Maybe like K-Meleon Forum or wiki, sourceforge.net... Till You find the info with links to this site.

2.) New K-Meleon install. 1.5.4 over say 1.5.3 or other 1.5 version, Windows any.
You can just overwrite K-Meleon's install directory.

The new version comes with all files that are needed (this includes runtime dll, You could check if You want, just extract the installer to somewhere and look smiling smiley ).

The install does not damage or even touch any profiles data. It is not designed to do so.

All 1.5.x profiles are compatible with each other and this includes 1.5.4.

BUT:

I would make a backup of Profiles data anyway. (a copy of the profiles folder at a safe location is good enough!). You can always have a power failure or whatever during install.

I would give the new install a new directory with a new name. Like: 1.5.4de-DE or 1.5.4en-US or whatever. I use this since long. When You start a K-Meleon.exe in a directory You can be sure that is the one that starts.

That way You have 2 working K-Meleons. Just keep the old as backup untill the next update. A new install has just under 20 mb HDD space. Even win98 systems used to have 20 GB HDD. smiling smiley

p.s. Only 1.5 -> 1.6 or a new install that is also compiler or GRE change can cause problems.

BTW. Prolfiles are never touched, that is why new install never fixes broken profiles. Profile data can be copied to other profiles - by default they are self contained. Well, unless You use some special settings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2010 11:49PM by guenter.

Re: Search, and wimper about Un-Specified updated Microsoft libraries
Posted by: koona
Date: March 19, 2010 12:08AM

Thank you Guenter, for that fast reply.

You covered all my insecurities perfectly

yours

douglas

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.