General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Windows 7 Cookies Issue with Kmeleon 1.53
Posted by: XanaX420
Date: March 19, 2010 04:17AM

If anyone could possibly assist me in troubleshooting this problem smiling smiley

It seems that every site I log into were I ask it to remember my name and password for some reason just doesnt, and I have to log in everytime I revisit the page after closing the browser.

If someone can perhaps recommend a solution to fixing the cookies on Kmeleon 1.53 or suggest a newer unofficial distribution that would work better with windows 7 Id appreciate it grinning smiley

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Windows 7 Cookies Issue with Kmeleon 1.53
Posted by: Doon
Date: March 19, 2010 05:07AM

On the Privacy and Security tab of the Preferences window there is a remember login data setting, it must be enabled for passwords to be saved. When enabled it saves a randomly named encrypted text file in your profile folder named something like "12345678.s", and has nothing to do with cookies.

Some questions you can ask are:

Is it enabled?
If it's asking to save then I suppose it is enabled.

Are changes to your profile folder being blocked by your operating system?
I can't help you with that, but there are recent topics related to this.

Do you have your privacy settings set to clear passwords and other stuff automatically on exit, or have some other function set to clear your data?
See: Tools -> Privacy -> Clear Data -> Clear Automatically

That's about the best I can do. Best wishes!

Posted by: siria
Date: March 19, 2010 10:19AM

KM would happily keep the cookies, but obviously either the operating system settings or some KM setting is forbidding it :-/

Frankly I don't think that this "Remember Login" setting is really needed for such cases, since I have it always "off" myself and still my logins are remembered, simply in the cookies. My guess is that this "Remember" setting is probably only meant to kick in when a login page pops up somewhere...?

Doon
Are changes to your profile folder being blocked by your operating system?

Oh yes, the first reason sure is by far on top of the suspects list, if the OS is vista or win7 :-[
Use the win7 file explorer to check the security settings of your profile folder (Edit>Configuration>ProfileDirectory > go 2 levels upwards, right-click on folder "Profiles", then look somewhere in properties or such). If you've set up the profile inside the program folder, and don't know how to allow yourself to write in there, then tell KM to place the profile in c:/users/username instead, which generally allows much more. Usually that setting is decided at setup (="multi-user"-setup vs. "single-user"). To change it afterwards, delete the file profile.ini in the KM program folder, and restart browser.

Doon
Do you have your privacy settings set to clear passwords and other stuff automatically on exit, or have some other function set to clear your data?
See: Tools -> Privacy -> Clear Data -> Clear Automatically

Exactly. And yet another possibility, the individual cookie settings in the Preferences (F2), sheet privacy.
Click on "accept cookies", log in to your forum or whatever, then return to F2>Privacy and find that cookie in "show currently stored cookies". Remember its name and click on "Exceptions" to add it there.
But this only works if the profile folder has writing rights...

Posted by: Doon
Date: March 19, 2010 09:48PM

Oops. I posted that quickly and without much thought, writing only about what I know (saved login info). What I wrote was essentially true but it ignored the matter of cookies entirely, which is what the question was about. Sorry! Embarassing. Cookies are a blind spot for me and that posting shows it. I never accepted anything but session cookies before using K-Meleon and even now they are deleted on exit, making them no different. I'm not a cookie keeper. Thank you Siria for stepping in and making something useful from my mess, hehe.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 19, 2010 10:59PM

Hey, which mess, don't see any here smiling smiley

Just came across a wikipedia article on writing rights (refers mostly to profiles and skins in KM), guess I'll include that in future related threads :cool:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control

Contains some interesting stuff...

Applications written with the assumption that the user will be running with administrator privileges experienced problems in earlier versions of Windows when run from limited user accounts, often because they attempted to write to machine-wide or system directories (such as Program Files) or registry keys (notably HKLM)[3]. UAC attempts to alleviate this using File and Registry Virtualization, which redirects writes (and subsequent reads) to a per-user location within the user’s profile. For example, if an application attempts to write to “C:\program files\appname\settings.ini” and the user doesn’t have permissions to write to that directory, the write will get redirected to “C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\appname\settings.ini”.

manager at Microsoft, stated during the RSA Conference 2008 that UAC was in fact designed to "annoy users," and force independent software vendors to make their programs more secure so that UAC prompts would not be triggered

New York Times Gadgetwise writer Stephen Williams says: "One recommended way to wring more speed from Vista is to turn off the overly protective User Account Control whose pop-ups are like having your mother hover over your shoulder while you work."[23]. A study by Sophos using 10 unique samples which had arrived in their labs, showed that UAC , on its default level, could not protect Windows 7 from 8 of the samples.

Oh, and the following supports my theory that installing programs in any other place than the default program folder (e.g. in c:/proggies or such), might reduce some of the read-only probs:

.... lists the following tasks which require administrator privileges:[5]

* Running an Application as an Administrator
* Changes to system-wide settings or to files in %SystemRoot% or %ProgramFiles%
* Installing and uninstalling applications
etc.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2010 11:37PM by siria.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: March 28, 2010 03:00AM

X [referring to OP], please upgrade to K-meleon 1.54 ASAP on your Win7 machine after trying out all the solutions mentioned here.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: March 28, 2010 03:57AM

Siria,

I don't have Vista or Windows 7, but am still interested in how they differ from my XP PRO SP3 setup.

This idea of rights for the profile. Can you set it up so that the entire K-Meleon Folder and all sub-folders under it have rights, or is this an indiviudal setting kind of thingee?

Tks.

N

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.