General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Lost all bookmarks on upgrade, help?
Posted by: dodobird
Date: March 30, 2010 04:17PM

I upgraded 1.5.3 to the 1.5.4 latest K-Meleon and all my bookmarks are gone, they are not the same as what I use in FF, anyway to get them back?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 04:58PM by dodobird.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lost all bookmarks on upgrade, help?
Posted by: siria
Date: March 30, 2010 07:13PM

As long as you only installed the new version "over the top" of the old version, and did not first "uninstall" (and delete) everything first, your old profile with the bookmarks.html and other stuff is still there and safe. Same if you installed independly into a new folder. You just have to locate your old profile folder... :cool:

If I understand it right, it's usually found automatically, unless the single/multi-user mode was different from the last install:
multi = normal version with profiles in the user data folder
single = portable version with profile included in program folder

To switch back to the other mode, try this:

Click Edit > Configuration > Macros, then go one level higher.
Is there a file "profile.ini"?

- if YES, rename it to "profile_ini"
- if NO, right-click in a free space, click "New" and create a new text file, named "profile.ini" (WITHOUT .txt ending).
- Restart the browser (and loader if used)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 07:16PM by siria.

Posted by: dodobird
Date: March 30, 2010 10:20PM

Thanks Siria,
It didn't exactly come out that way but I did find them @
D:\Program Files\K-Meleon\Profiles\2g7p0i4v.default\bookmarks.html

It is D:\ because it is a multi boot system, would be C:\ for most normal setups.

Then I just went to Edit-Preferences-Netscape Bookmarks- and then changed the path under Netscape Bookmarks File to the string above and I have them back.

I gave a shot at your first thoughts:

"Click Edit > Configuration > Macros, then go one level higher.
Is there a file "profile.ini"?
- if YES, rename it to "profile_ini"
- if NO, right-click in a free space, click "New" and create a new text file, named "profile.ini" (WITHOUT .txt ending).
- Restart the browser (and loader if used)"

and there was no profile.ini I then created one without the txt but that didn't do anything, so I just hunted around and did what I stated and all the bookmarks are back. Much thanks as without your thoughts I would still be banging my head.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 10:22PM by dodobird.

Posted by: siria
Date: March 30, 2010 10:56PM

Thanks for the update :-)

The beginning would fit to my theory... Your old profile was in the program folder (=portable/singleuser), and there was no profile.ini anymore (=default multiuser install with new profile in user data).
But might be that the exact path to the last profile is still deleted (which can be found in profileS.ini in profile folder), although the parent folder should theoretically be right now...

Did you keep the "profile.ini"?
Because your old install was portable too, and it would be better that you get your whole profile stuff together again, bookmarks and the rest in the same folder, just to avoid forgetting it and being confused later.
You can click Edit > Configuration > Profile Folder to find your current profile, then just copy over the stuff from the 'old' profile neighbor folder (that path you posted)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2010 10:57PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.