General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Web sites freezing and merging
Posted by: Jeff
Date: February 21, 2003 06:29PM

I am constantly having the problem that the web site I am visiting freezes and then it seems like it merges with the last page but is rendered useless......ie: I have to alt-control-del to get back into the web again. Anyone else experiencing this and any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Web sites freezing and merging
Posted by: Andrew
Date: February 21, 2003 07:07PM

What web site?

Posted by: Mike
Date: February 21, 2003 10:03PM

Hi,

yep, same prob here sometimes......most of the time it happens when im reading large forum replies on which you have to click a >>-link to get to the next one.
After doing that for half an hour or so there often comes a render-bug. If I had other tabs (layers) open they are buggy 2 then and merged with the others. The only way to go on surfing is 2 make a reboot, cause, after closing KM, restarting it and reloading the last page it happens again.

Never had that probs with the 0.6 version, it happens since I ve upgrated to 0.7.....

Fortunatly it happens not 2 often here, but its annoying again every time it does.
K-Meleon is the only browser I m using since over a year, IE is removed completely here, so I would be happy if this bug would be fixed in the next offical release.

Mike

Andrew:

Here is an URL of the forum where it occurs often:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/foren/go.shtml?flat=1&forum_id=33900

Date: February 21, 2003 11:00PM

Mike,

Have you upgraded with the Service Pack?

I'll check on that URL.

Andrew

Date: February 22, 2003 12:26AM

Andrew,

nope, havent upgraded cause i didnt read anything that would have been an improvement for me. AFAIK there wasnt made anything on the rendering engine, just bookmarks or favorites improvements or things like that.

So I choosed to wait until there will be a new release wherein bugs like these premises hopefully will be fixed.

As I said, the bug happens in threads which are really big.......about 30+ pages, so i dont know if you can reproduce it with the link i gave you.
But I have had it on this forum several times when i ve read the posts in chronical order.
Any idea what could be the reason of it?

Mike

Posted by: dejitaru
Date: February 22, 2003 01:25AM

I've had that same prob. tho its usually not with forums just whenever I visited alot of sites(an hour to a couple of hours usually) and have a few layers open(anyway from say 2 to 5)...

Posted by: Nick
Date: February 22, 2003 10:13AM

Now I don't get any problems what so ever - but them again I do not use layers, so that is looking like the problem -> layers.

Nick

Date: February 22, 2003 04:14PM

Mike,

The Service Pack includes an updated .exe. That mainly includes minor fixes but it might help narrow down the problem.

Date: February 23, 2003 02:38AM

Not to sound ignorant, but what exactly do you mean "layers"? Also, how come when I am on 1 web site and click on a link I cannot simply click the back button to get to the previous page? It seems like I have to click the X in upper right hand of page to close that page and then I am back to original page? Thanks in advance!

Posted by: SteveNZ
Date: February 23, 2003 12:11PM

Yep - same problem here... and I never use layers. Within about half hour of using K-M it freezes/merges - doesn't matter what sites I've been to. Need to close all its windows and restart K-M - and it'll work fine for another half hour. Clearing cache, anytime, doesn't seem to make any difference. JavaScript is off, most plugins disabled.
If I just close K-M after about 20 minutes and restart, it goes fine for another half hour... but it's a bit of a pain having to do that every time. Any known fix for this?
Using XP home, Athlon 1800.

Thanks - cop ya later.

Posted by: Andres
Date: February 23, 2003 12:45PM

I always use layers and I have never had any such problem. Maybe it's caused by XP?

Date: February 23, 2003 08:23PM

I run K-Meleon with Layers on XP and haven't had these problems. But I want to test these on some of the sites mentioned.

Jeff: Please include some of the sites where you are experiencing this problem so that we can do some testing.

Posted by: dejitaru
Date: February 24, 2003 10:16AM

just outta curiousity is everyone else on xp? i'm 98se with 700mhz athlon and have the previously mentioned problem tho not on any particular site

Date: February 24, 2003 12:12PM

I'm on w98, so it isn't a xp-only prob....

Date: February 25, 2003 02:31PM

Not to sound ignorant, but what exactly do you mean "layers"? The freezing happens on many sites.........not one in particular. I could be surfing around for quite a while then bam it freezes and I have to close out and restart.

Date: February 25, 2003 06:24PM

Jeff,

"Not to sound ignorant, but what exactly do you mean "layers"?"

Layers is a term K-Meleon uses for a plugin that displays multiple windows in one browser frame. If you see the Layers menu on your menu bar, you have it enabled. You can open new Layers using that menu. It is intended to provide a similar effect to Mozilla's tabs.

"Also, how come when I am on 1 web site and click on a link I cannot simply click the back button to get to the previous page? It seems like I have to click the X in upper right hand of page to close that page and then I am back to original page? "

That sounds like a case where the web site opened a new window. Some site links do that. It's not anything caused by K-Meleon.

Can you provide an example of a site where you are seeing the freezing problem?

Date: March 05, 2003 03:59AM

Quick freeze - instead of left-clicking on links, try right-clicking and Open in New Window (close window when you're done with it)... on my XP system K-M freezes after about 10 minutes of right-clicking, as opposed to 30 minutes of just left-clicking links.

Anyone else get this?

my hopes are gone ;O(
Date: March 06, 2003 02:32PM

after browsing my favorite newssite and their forum at: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/foren/go.shtml?flat=1&hs=160&forum_id=39201

KM was hanging up again, even with MonkeeSages 1.3b-Version.

At the moment there are 11 sites with about 16 postings on each.
I managed to read about six of them (96 Postings) before KM stopped working....I couldn't press any link on the page, seemed like it was just a pic. The mouse cursor didn't change if I move over a link and changing the layer (there was another on open) had no effect. It shows the same site on both layers. I controlled my RAM situation and there was still 92 MB free memory.

Don't know why this ugly hang-up occurs all the time.......but it is really annoying, because to go on surfing it needs a reboot. Restarting KM didn't solve the prob, after watching a few posts, it happend again.......

Mike *disappointed*

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: March 06, 2003 02:57PM

Mike what OS are you running? Mabye it's an OS issue?

I am on XP Pro SP1, and I have the DNS Client system service disabled

You might also try deleting chrome.rdf and the subdirectory \overlayinfo in K-Meleon\chrome, as well as the two .dat files in K-Meleon\components, and that way they can be rebuilt next time K-M is loaded.

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: March 06, 2003 04:42PM

Hi MonkeeSage,

I'm running w98 with 192MB Ram.
Don't think that this is an OS issue, cause, if you follow this thread, there are XP-users which also have it.

I never had this probs with KM 0.6, they occured since I installed 0.7 and installing the SP didn't change anything. Before (with 0.6) I could browse over 70 sites à 16 postings and all went well.

The .dat-files and the chrome.rdf I've deleted several times.....while installing your builds. I could try the other 'overlayinfo' but I don't have much hope that this will change anything.
I removed all other browsers from my system after the 0.7 version, cause the only thing that I missed was the tab (layers)-function and I thought that I wouldn't need any other browser after this was implented in 0.7. Now my browsing habits are disturbed.....and also I don't want to reinstall another browser.

It's sad that no one of the developers seems to have an idea what produces this bug.

Greetz

Mike

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: March 06, 2003 06:29PM

Mike:

It could also be a MFC (Microsoft Foundation Class) or Mozilla bug...it's hard to pinpoint exactly where bugs come from when there are multiple possibilities--which is why test cases are so important. Often the devs haven't even seen the bug yet because it is not encountered by their own particular browsing habits. So don't be too hard on them; 'good things come in time' as they say. smiling smiley

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Posted by: Nobody
Date: March 08, 2003 01:51PM

I'' am verry new to KM start browsing like an idiot with it under win98-se and it works
fine for me. (no problems). p4-1800 512mb ram

Any of you know how to get ie 6.0 totally removed and of course KM. left still working.

Posted by: theprofiler
Date: March 15, 2003 05:04AM

i have the same effect as described by dejitaru and SteveNZ.

it ocurred several times after browsing for abt. 2hrs with 4 to 5 windows (no layers here) i opened in the background via context menu.
apparently this is not related to a special site.

first the top window slows down when scrolling with the mouse wheel, then returning to the top of the page it looks like it is not re-drawn.
closing the window leaves a ghost image on the screen
and makes all other windows behave the same way.

from there i can still go on to other sites, but all are loading slowly.

i use KM 0.7, now updated with SP1,
on a pentium2 350MHz 192MB RAM
with win98 (no SE), ie5.5 and up-to-date M$ patches
(running since 1999 with no need to re-install yet, keep my fingers crossed eye rolling smiley)

i'm not sure what to look for to track this down - any hints?

regards, martin

Posted by: Rayven
Date: March 15, 2003 07:09AM

I just started getting this error again (I had gotten it a (very) few times before with 0.7, before SP1), after upgrading to MonkeeSage's 1.3 build. I get it on the forums at this site http://www.kaihaku.net

Computer is a P1 300mhz 128MB RAM Win98SE

Nobody - Check out this thread http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?f=1&i=8629&t=8607

theprofiler -
"(running since 1999 with no need to re-install yet, keep my fingers crossed eye rolling smiley)"

Lucky. I just had my annual re-install a month or so ago...linux...soon...

Date: March 18, 2003 08:47AM

Another strange thing I found - when the freezing occurs, if you 'Restore Down' to a smaller size window (by clicking on that box next to the X in top right) then click in blue title bar at top and (while still holding down left button on mouse) drag window off to one side, when you drag it back into view the part that was off-screen now shows the real content.
Does this happen to everyone that posts here?

Date: March 27, 2003 07:30PM

yeah, same here....
After a long reading session today and the happy freezing part I tried out what you described. And yep, making the window smaller and resize it back, then changing to another layer+back, brought back the real screen and it was possible to click links and go on surfing.....weird thing. Seems to me like a memory bug........?¿

Date: May 06, 2003 11:23AM

Also found that when K-M does the freeze/merge thing, if you hold down left mouse button and drag diagonally across the page, then the 'real' content appears but it's highlighted. Clicking on link then shows new page over parts of screen.

Read somewhere else on these forums it's caused by a memory leak.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.