General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
French Localization - Gnome skin
Posted by: jerofont
Date: April 25, 2003 10:13AM

I've been using K-Meleon as default browser for many monthes an I'm very happy with the customization and flexibilitty options of this browser. I wanted to say "Thanks" to all the developpers. Keep up the good work.

I also wanted to say that I'm ready to work on a localization of K-Meleon. I know, there are already translated menus. But, I mean also a translation off all the interface, such as preferences windows or history window and so on. I'm not a programmer, but I know how to edit *.dll and *.exe files with reshacker to replace the text-strings with the french equivalents. I've already begun the work with the 0.7.1 release but I think I should rather wait for the next milestone 0.8... If someone can tell me if this could be usefull or not, ;-)

I also worked on a new skin based on the Gnome default icons (Copyright goes to Ximian/Gnome 2 icons project): If someone is interested, let me know and I will mail the files...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: French Localization - Gnome skin
Posted by: alain.aupeix@wanadoo.fr
Date: April 25, 2003 05:42PM

I have also , there's a long time, put a post about this problem, and how to do it.

After some exchange, nothing comes.

I have also my idea, not in patching exe and dll with an hex editor or ResHacker, as I have made it, because, it's a little hard to do it everytime a new version or pack appears, but with a mechanism like the one which is used by Opera (lng files) which is easy to translate with a tool.

I don't think the solution of having one line in english and the next one in translated is a good solution, because of the number of messages to translate. This solution is perhaps good for a few messages, not for some thousands (for example, Opera has about 3 000 strings)

If lng files are taken, I have made a tool which take in entries the new english lng file, an old english version and his tranlation in a language, and, compares strings (by there name or number), beetween the three entries and automaticly translate a great number of strings.

As the strings are often the same beetween two successive versions, it's then not too hard to have quickly a good translation.

The problem, is the way to use by programmers to put it in place, and to always put strings in resourses.

I have no news about it.

When my tool is complete, I put it on line. It is obviously in two language (french/english), and has a internal function to translate it in other languages.

Posted by: jerofont
Date: April 26, 2003 12:26PM

Thanls for the answer, It would actually be a useful tool for a localization in French but also in other languages... Happy to know that I'm not the only French guy using K-Meleon... A bientôt peut-être... Mon mail pour rester en contact : jerofont@wanadoo.fr

Date: April 27, 2003 09:52AM

Le mien me sert de carte de visite, ce qui n'est pas spécialement heureux, car qu'est-ce que çà spamme ... (peut-etre d'ailleurs pas forcement à cause des traces que je laisse ici, mais bon ...)

Posted by: Orphée
Date: May 03, 2003 06:49PM

Rassure-toi, je crois qu'on est quand même assez nombreux à utiliser le K-meleon... D'ailleurs, c'est pas un français, à l'origine du projet ? Et Splif, le mec qui a fait le design du site, c'est un français, non ?

Date: May 05, 2003 03:53PM

Oui, mais je trouve que le sujet sur une réelle iternalisation du projet traine en longueur, et que les quelques solutions que j'ai vu ici et là ne me semble pas du tout adaptées à un projet d'envergure (je veux dire ou le nombre de messages est très important)

Posted by: Bernard Mercier
Date: May 14, 2003 11:27PM

Hela les Français.
Un peu moins de chauvinisme. ;-)

Bernard

Date: May 14, 2003 11:33PM

En plus

Translations:

- English Version English Version - by Brian Harris & Jeff Doozan [0.6] [0.7]
- Italian Translation Italian Translation - by Emanuele Goldoni [0.6] [0.7]
- French Translation French Translation - by Christophe Ceccon, Fred Pacquier and others [0.6] [0.7]

Bernard

Date: May 16, 2003 08:02PM

Désolé, Bernard, mais la traduction ne concerne que le menu.

Ca fait un peu léger ...

Moi, je parle d'une vrai traduction.

Mon outil de traduction fonctionne correctement pour tout type de fichier qui a une structure qui ressemble à ce qu'on trouve pour Opera.

J'ai d'ailleurs fait la traduction de la 7.10, et je me suis aperçu que quelques messages traînent en dehors du fichier language. Ce qui n'est pas du meilleur...

Flame
Posted by: oxygenius
Date: May 17, 2003 11:59AM

das ist aber nett, das ihr eure gespräche alle auf französisch führt, ihr blöden penner!
maybe ithere are OTHER people, TOO, who want to try localizations WITHOUT more language conflicts than needed.

idiots.

cu, w0lf.

Date: May 17, 2003 01:25PM

Don't take too oxygen, it perhaps have un-needed effects on hungry guys ...

:-)

Idiot he says

:-)))

Date: May 17, 2003 10:35PM

Je comprend.

Tu as vu sans doute le site: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/contrib.php

Je en sais pas comment cela fonctionne, mais je suppose que des traductions comme tu fait peuvent être présenté là.

Bien sûr, je ne pense pas qu'il y a une rémunération, vue que K-M est gratuit.

Succes

Bernard

Date: May 18, 2003 12:29PM

> Bien sûr, je ne pense pas qu'il y a une rémunération, vue que K-M est gratuit.

Je vais donc m'efforcer de parler anglais, puisque certains sur-oxygénés s'excitent ...

I don't pretend to have some advantage to make real translation of K-Meleon, but I think, that a real customization is a good way to permit a real succes of a project. I don't only think of french translation.

Also, there is a real need of this evolution, for K-Meleon and also, I think for kplugins, and programmers are about to do this. The only thing I don't understand, is their silence about this. MonkeeSage put a bug for this, there's a long time.

The tool I made for translation, is about to be finished. The only this, is that I don't have made hlp file. But, is programmers don't take a decision, all the tools we can do are not needed.

Now, the only way, and it's a bad way, is to take exe and dll with ResHacker. It's possible (and I made it for Km 0.7), but I needed to make it again for sp1 ...

No, that's not a good way ...

Date: May 19, 2003 07:04AM

There is certainly a need for foreign language support and not only for French. Germans and other countries of which English isn't well known by most users it could be a show stopper not to have the program in the native language.

I think your efforts should be appreciated and it's weird, that you didn't get the response you expected.

Normally a project like this is based on volunteers, and every contribution is welcome.
In fact, there is a cal for volunteering on the website. Weird that your proposal don't seem to be taken into consideration.

Altho personaly I prefer my sw in English, I do appreciate efforts to nationalize sw.

Hope the situation will resolve.

Bernard

Posted by: MonkeeSage
Date: May 19, 2003 04:58PM

You guys need to read the developers list; seeing as my bug and alains complaints WERE addressed, and the devs are still trying to work out all the details involved. Several people have offered suggestions there on a way to go about fixing the problem.

If you don't go talk to the developers at the dev-list, or at LEAST read what they are saying, then don't act like they are neglecting someting, because you obviously have no idea if they are or are not!

Shelumi`El
Jordan

S.D.G

Date: May 19, 2003 07:28PM

MonkeeSage,

Well, as you said, I must read and send messages from and to dev-list.

But a couple of times I can't send to the list. Perhaps I make a mistake, because I've tried to answer to mail I received.

How can I send post to devlist ?

I register and have a count. I can read lists on SourceForge.

I read again the post of Ulf and I notice the need of l10n.dll. I haven't it. Where can I found it ??

If my test are good, the problem of kplugins is perhaps good. For Km, I don't think so, because, the number of messages to translate seems too big.

If someone has the dll, I'll be very pleased to receive in my mail (my name in the post)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.