General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Backup after Reinstall
Posted by: manicminer
Date: April 08, 2010 03:56AM

Hi!

I need to reformat my hard drive, and i want to know how can i save my settings or preferences in Kmeleon. You know: menus layout, tabs bars, etc...
Oh, and i´ll need to backup the Netscape Bookmarks too. Can i just copy the profile folder and place it on the future instalation of Kmeleon?
I'm using Kmeleon 1.5.3

Thanks
Pablo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Backup after Reinstall
Posted by: siria
Date: April 08, 2010 06:12AM

Don't know how much you've customized, but to be safe better backup also the KM program folder. E.g. the skin folder toolbars.cfg contains changes at single buttons, if you ever edited this file manually (while toolbar position really is in profile), if you did that also better give that skin folder a unique name if it's klassic or Phoenity. And there may be custom macros there etc., a few of them may also have included more files in other folders. But there are no settings outside, nothing in registry etc, so just copying the folders is ok.
Then after reinstall restore the old ones and while you're at it, unzip afterwards KM154 into the folder and overwrite KM153 ;-)

Posted by: Scot Free
Date: April 08, 2010 05:30PM

Here is what works for me.

I copy the C:\Program Files\K-Meleon folder to a separate drive.

Reformat and reinstall windoze.

Clean install of K-meleon 1.5.3 (or whatever version you are using)

Delete C:\Program Files\K-Meleon folder

Copy saved C:\Program Files\K-Meleon folder to C:\Program Files

I already keep my Netscape Bookmarks file on separate drive.

YMMV

Date: April 08, 2010 05:45PM

Oops... I'm so much used to portable programs which I just unzip, that I sometimes forget most other people prefer to get shortcuts by a setup routine, and want an entry in their software list. So yes, that it was a setup is better for smiling smiley
And heard the setup may be necessary to get installation access to the program folder in Vista/Win7, unless that UAC thing is disabled, and unless one choses a folder outside that default one.

One little thing to consider though, not everyone has his profiles inside the program folder. Many have them in their user appdata folder, so that must be copied as well, or they'll lose all their personal settings and (if default location) their bookmarks, hotlist, passwords etc.

Posted by: some guy
Date: April 08, 2010 05:52PM

Please excuse me if I missed something. But unless K-Meleon is set up the same
way you would a portable you will have to copy more than the K-Meleon folder
in the program files directory. For example on Windows XP that would be something
like C-Documents and Settings-some guy-Application Data-K-Meleon. grinning smiley

Posted by: Scot Free
Date: April 08, 2010 08:07PM

some guy
Please excuse me if I missed something. But unless K-Meleon is set up the same
in the program files directory. For example on Windows XP that would be something
like C-Documents and Settings-some guy-Application Data-K-Meleon. grinning smiley

You are correct. I just assume everybody is as backasswards as I am. I maintain my profiles in the program directory specifically so I can clone my setup.

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 08, 2010 10:34PM

some guy
Please excuse me if I missed something.

But unless K-Meleon is set up the same

You are way to polite & did not miss a thing tongue sticking out smiley

Yes absolut. Goes for granted that we all think of our own setup first or assume anyone knows.

siria & other win9x users use an older structure. Profile in install dir.
Used by default until K-Melon 0.9.x.

For technical reasons PPL with multi boot systems and installs on portable USB will deselect multi user support during setup to get the same old default for 1.0 until now. smiling smiley

Many older users use the till 0.9 profile location during tests on any non win9x systems.

And some old timers (5 years+) like siria or me use old way by default also on their newer systems without much reason grinning smiley
Except it keeps all installs tidy and separate :cool:

p.s. & BTW. Is easy to make portable and transfer one to the other.

copy the Win XP(any NT, VISTA-Win7) inside of Profile from %apdata%/inside profile (some files)

to

./program files/K-Meleon/Profiles/7g0jgag7.default(or whatever random string)/inside profile (some files)

for portable, win9x, multi boot and test setup.

Or vise versa to undo or feed back changes.

Found by siria that this works for profiles that have no non default path alterations.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2010 10:47PM by guenter.

Posted by: manicminer
Date: April 10, 2010 03:18AM

Hello again!

Thanks to everybody for the help. I'll go for the copy-the-entire-Kmeleon-Folder once reinstalled...(and cross my fingers! jajaja)
So... once reinstalled, the folder acts as a portable program?
Is there a portable version of Kmeleon?
My priority was to keep the Netscape Bookmarks. And the general settings, well, it was just to avoid the anoying process to re-set'em all (excuse my english)

At the time i wrote and posted the Topic, i "remembered that i forgot" to tell that i'm using W98... but i believe it is not a, let's say, Hot Data to tell.
And yes, i have the installation as "Factory Default", all in the main installation folder.

Once again, thank you very much guys!

Pablo: format c:/s and send the whole data to a digital Valhalla

Date: April 10, 2010 04:37PM

manicminer

Is there a portable version of Kmeleon?

Yes K-Meleon can be installed in a portable fashion.
./program files/K-Meleon/ with profiles in install folder like U use by default under Win98.

You can copy K-Meleon to USB ./K-Meleon/... PPL that have setup for XP... can correct it later so that it all becomes portable.

For more details search Forum for "portable".

p.s. No reason to by shy about English - You can also post in Spanish, German, French... & maybe more languages.

It is just that many PPL can use their school English to answer if You ask in Anglo. grinning smiley

Greetings to .AR from .De (Germany)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 04:39PM by guenter.

Date: April 10, 2010 04:57PM

Oy, suddenly lots of win9x fans showing up lately - cool!! grinning smiley

Portable K-Meleon, profiles inside:
- has an empty file "profile.ini" in its main folder

"Normal" K-Meleon, profiles in user appdata folder:
- has NO "profile.ini" in its main folder

All the rest is the same smiling smiley
Not sure but could be, when "switching" that portability setting by either deleting or adding that empty ini file, that KM can't remember where the old profiles were. Then people usually get panicky thinking their bookmarks were lost, but the old profile folders are still where they were before. Just the path lost. May need a bit manual searching and copying over the contents into the new folder and all is as before.

Date: April 10, 2010 11:10PM

98 is IMHO more common than shown in net usage statistics. grinning smiley

Does not matter much whether K-Meleon install was originally set up as portable - You can correct by giving it an ini and copying data that already exist to the right place.

BTW: siria told me how some months ago. smiling smiley

p.s @ siria, hab dir ne mail geschickt, was weißt du was über das windows driver modell?

Da ist nen englischer wikipedia text, den man auslegen kann, als ob 98 & xp das selbe treiber modell haben.

Wenn, würde ich meinem 2008er AMD turion gern mal mein ME beschehren grinning smiley
Dann hätte er richtig die sporen gekriegt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 11:14PM by guenter.

Date: April 10, 2010 11:20PM

@Günter: Da weiß ich nüscht drüber, aber hab eigentlich am Fr abend geantwortet... (leicht verpätet aber hm, vielleicht im Spam gelandet?)
Und LOL, ich hab da wirklich keine besonderen Entdeckungen getätigt, absolut nix erwähnenswertes *g*

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2010 11:54PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.