General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Seeking lightest stable version of K-Meleon
Posted by: Loch
Date: April 16, 2010 12:32PM

Hello, I'm looking for advice from those who've been around. I'm planning to use an isolated instance of the browser as a static window for offline rendering of some basic html with javascript and images. The window will see heavy usage for years on end and could be open for hours at a time so memory stability will be important. I was wondering which version of K-Meleon might be best for this lightweight task, in Vista.

My mission isn't critical but in the interest of geeky optimization my goal is to make it as light as possible on resources and DLL usage. I will run it in a window and will disable all of the features and extensions that I can through the preferences, and I was thinking that an earlier KM or Gecko version might be better in terms of resource usage. I'm familiar with 1.53 and I'm happily inclined to use it but I would appreciate any ideas about other/earlier versions that may be even better for this task. With the probability of using the -new switch it seems my basic choices are limited to official versions 1.1 through 1.5.4, any advice? Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seeking lightest stable version of K-Meleon
Posted by: K-Meleoner
Date: April 16, 2010 01:04PM

Go with version 1.5.4 :cool:

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 16, 2010 01:10PM

version 0.8.2 is exactly what you need.

you can download it from :
http://garr.dl.sourceforge.net/project/kmeleon/k-meleon/0.8.2/kmeleon082.exe
(doesn't need to disable anything..it's as lightweight as can ever be)

to be able to use 0.8.2 along your current kmeleon without the new parameter:
after installing/extracting..download this 0.8.2 binary, it's hexed so it can run along any km version as a different process:
http://kmext.sf.net/tests/k-meleon0.8-hexed.zip

extract the k-meleon.exe and save into your k-meleon 0.8.2 folder to replace original exe

Posted by: Loch
Date: April 19, 2010 11:02PM

I'd go with 1.5.4 for sure if I wanted to browse the web, K-Meleoner, but that's not what I was after. So thanks very much for your insights, disrupted! But what took you so long to reply? 38 minutes sure was a long time to keep me waiting for the perfect answer. You should work on avoiding unnecessary blinking and stuff to speed things up next time.

Leading me to that ancient version was great but hooking me up with an exe edited to avoid conflicts with the current version was sheer brilliance. I really appreciate this! I finally got it set up and adjusted and it seems to work a treat. I spent a lot of time disabling stuff so I'm hoping it really has a much lighter footprint than the current versions, not that they have a heavy footprint anyway. I had some problems with the old tech while hiding everything at the top of the window and trimming the menus down to nothing but a few context options but I was lucky enough to find era specific solutions in some ancient topics here. This browser sure is a chameleon and I'm very happy now. Thanks again, everyone.

Posted by: disrupted
Date: April 20, 2010 05:23PM

thanks loch, glad i could help

currently, desga holds the record for a fast response, i think it's 2 minutes. grinning smiley

Posted by: panzer
Date: April 20, 2010 05:55PM

Desga does not count. He is a mutant. smiling smiley

Posted by: desga2
Date: April 22, 2010 10:57PM

pssshhhh! I said yours this was a secret! smiling smiley
Are there really people take times and statistics of post in forums, like in the NBA? tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 23, 2010 11:38PM

disrupted
currently, desga holds the record for a fast response, i think it's 2 minutes.

Less!

p.s. I'd try an 1.5.4 with chrome, chrome.dll and chrome.xpt exchanged for chrome lite surrogates. Get them from some CCF and Fred NIX versions. Reason: Must run for a long time = must not bleed/loose memory = most recent and little chrome.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: April 28, 2010 03:29PM

Loch
Hello, I'm looking for advice from those who've been around. I'm planning to use an isolated instance of the browser as a static window for offline rendering of some basic html with javascript and images. The window will see heavy usage for years on end and could be open for hours at a time so memory stability will be important. I was wondering which version of K-Meleon might be best for this lightweight task, in Vista.

in Vista, Loch? careful with K-meleon on there. I've had KM versions 1.5x crash under Vista when closing the KM browser window and I'm still puzzled why K-meleon 1.5x and earlier don't play well on my Vista computer.

but at least the latest K-meleon 1.6 alpha did NOT crash under Vista.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.