General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Request for the new version...
Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: November 06, 2003 02:57PM

If I recall correctly, it's possible to activate pipelining in km via macros. Could that be made possible through the preferences menu as well, if it's not already active by default?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Request for the new version...
Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: November 06, 2003 10:40PM

Hi SJ Zero,

Not knowing much about macros myself I went into "about:config" (can you tell I used Firebird a lot in the past? winking smiley ) and I set "network.http.pipelining" and "network.http.pipelining.firstrequest" both to "true". You don't have to restart the browser in order for it to take effect---but I usually do just for good measure. winking smiley

For all of my settings though I prefer to alter them in "about:config" (be very careful!) or add them there if possible if they're a boolean/integer setting (hope that made sense?). But then again, that's just me.

I really don't know if that makes a difference, this pipelining, because of the type of connection I have (t1). But supposedly for slower connections I've heard that it really speeds them up.

Hope I was of *some* help without much confusion! smiling smiley

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Posted by: SJ Zero
Date: November 10, 2003 06:54PM

Thanks for the info, it's helped a lot.

Pipelining provides an increase for high speed connections as well as low speed ones; what counts is not that your connection is magically recieving more bandwidth, but that the server itself is sending you more at once. I've set km up with 16x pipelining, and even on a fully nested slashdot page(500K-1Mcool smiley, there's no discernable load time. The whole browsing experience is incredibly faster, especially on servers which would normally not willing to dish out enough data to satiate a fast connection.

Going back to ie is....so painful. It's like going from t1 to dialup.

Posted by: Nick
Date: November 10, 2003 07:24PM

I noticed a vast improvement when I turned them on 7.0. Maybe you also need to specify this one also to get faster page loads:

user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);

Nick

Posted by: Elcalen
Date: November 10, 2003 08:33PM

Just one silly question: what is pipelining?

Posted by: Nick
Date: November 10, 2003 08:36PM

Rather than grab the page with one 'pipe', it opens up simultaneous 'pipes' (4 default) to grab the page.. so in theory retreives page 4 times faster.

That's a simple explaination.

Nick

Posted by: dpb
Date: November 11, 2003 02:12PM

I just must say: WOW!!

I didn't know browsing could get even more faster than what K-Meleon is by default.

I turned on pipelining and WOAH.

-dpb

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.