General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Flash Zero Day Exploit
Posted by: snuz2
Date: June 22, 2010 05:10AM

Well I have been using foxit 2.3 for several days now and have not noticed any problems. It's ugly as sin, but all pdf readers so far are ugly!

Opens quick, displays good ( with gdiplus atleast ). But I can't find a npPlugin that works for it. I think the version on the Foxit site might be for Foxit Reader 3. When I install it, it never displays anything, but it sure orphans system resources.

So Siria, you might like it or at least not hate it too much :-)

Anyone have a plugin for it that works on Kmeleon?

Maybe I should try the Sumatra as well....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 05:10AM by snuz2.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SoerenB
Date: June 22, 2010 10:06AM

Hi,

a question to all those who use a pdf plugin:

what advantage do you see in using the plugin, as opposed to having registered (in Windows) all PDFs to be opened by the program of your choice (e.g. Foxit 2) in a window completely separate from the browser?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: June 23, 2010 08:55AM

Same benefit as using tabbed browser, no OS window overhead. But it is true that at least on my system, Foxit 2.3 is so fast that I don't much mind opening the new window. It certainly takes way less time than even stripped down Adobe to open.

Some people don't care how many windows they have open, I work with a guy who regularly has over 100 active windows on his Linux multicore desktop. I am a tidy person who dislikes extra windows, rarely have more than 5 at time open. Never more than 10.

Personally, I detest pdf files, but some websites use them basically as pages, so, we get plugins...

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 23, 2010 02:00PM

SoerenB
Hi,

a question to all those who use a pdf plugin:

what advantage do you see in using the plugin, as opposed to having registered (in Windows) all PDFs to be opened by the program of your choice (e.g. Foxit 2) in a window completely separate from the browser?

SoerenB,

I used to use the plugin, but decided for no good reason to try the portable apps version, which works for me.

http://portableapps.com/apps/office/foxit_reader_portable

N

Date: July 02, 2010 02:50AM

A report on plugin-less Foxit reader:

well after using it for a few weeks now, it tends to have errors and ask to be terminated. not really crashes, but not stable.

if you want to see something interesting, start with a vector ( postscript not bitmap) pdf file, one that can be zoomed without pixelating. bring up a memory usage tool. now zoom in on the file. move it around. watch those megabytes just disappear... maybe if I didn't have shared graphics/main memory I would not see this.

still, it usually works, so much faster than adobe reader...

Date: July 02, 2010 05:15AM

snuz2
A report on plugin-less Foxit reader:

well after using it for a few weeks now, it tends to have errors and ask to be terminated. not really crashes, but not stable.

if you want to see something interesting, start with a vector ( postscript not bitmap) pdf file, one that can be zoomed without pixelating. bring up a memory usage tool. now zoom in on the file. move it around. watch those megabytes just disappear... maybe if I didn't have shared graphics/main memory I would not see this.

still, it usually works, so much faster than adobe reader...

Snuz2,

Are you still using 2.3, as Foxit Reader is up to Version 3.3.1.0518

N

Date: July 04, 2010 05:48AM

I think this is the last version working on W98. It is really quick to open.

Date: July 05, 2010 01:12AM

snuz2
I think this is the last version working on W98. It is really quick to open.

snuz2,

Oh.... my bad. Forgot it was W98se.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 01:12AM by ndebord.

Date: July 05, 2010 08:42PM

Out of curiousity, I tried the same thing with adobe reader, different file though. I didn't see any memory hogging issues. Probably why Fxt 2.3 isn't so stable...

Posted by: Matt
Date: August 11, 2010 08:53AM

Critical vulnerabilities have been identified in Adobe Flash Player version 10.1.53.64 and earlier. These vulnerabilities could cause the application to crash and could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

The new version is 10.1.82.76. I prefer not do download the exe and wait until disrupted puts patched NPSWF32.dll on kmext ;-)

Posted by: disrupted
Date: August 11, 2010 06:43PM

matt, i've updated flash plugin to .82 in plugins page and in flash switcher.

john, i'm sorry but i couldn't hex out the fullscreen message, it needed a disassembler and was causing problems and needs more time..so not sure if it's worth the trouble

Posted by: disrupted
Date: August 12, 2010 01:26AM
Posted by: JohnHell
Date: August 12, 2010 06:11PM

Don't worry, I use this source winking smiley (the one I posted in the other thread)

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/304807-How-to-remove-annoying-Press-Esc-to-message-in-Flash-Video?p=1990351&viewfull=1#post1990351

At the end of the linked post there are the download links. Thanks for your efforts, anyway smiling smiley

EDIT: I mean it was (the other thread) a suggestion, I prefer the full screen feature off than the saving to temp, so if you find lots of troubles to make work both features together on each release, don't worry, is not bad for me. I tend to use the videohelp forum release smiling smiley

My suggestion was that would be cool for those requesting both features.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2010 06:17PM by JohnHell.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: August 14, 2010 11:51PM

Matt

Critical vulnerabilities have been identified in Adobe Flash Player version 10.1.53.64 and earlier. These vulnerabilities could cause the application to crash and could potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system.

The new version is 10.1.82.76. I prefer not do download the exe and wait until disrupted puts patched NPSWF32.dll on kmext ;-)

And version 9.0.280.0 for those using Flash Player 9.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.