General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
1.5.4 to 1.6.0a4
Posted by: mars
Date: June 09, 2010 03:13PM

If I upgrade from 1.5.4 to 1.6.0a4 I have to uninstall 1.5.4.
Will I need to totally reconfigure the new installation?
Will I need to start all over again with installing all of the extensions and tools that I had been running in 1.5.4?

The documentation on upgrading provides no answers so I am posting here for some guidance before I do an upgrade (if at all).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 03:13PM by mars.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 1.5.4 to 1.6.0a4
Posted by: caktus
Date: June 09, 2010 04:22PM

mars
If I upgrade from 1.5.4 to 1.6.0a4 I have to uninstall 1.5.4.
Will I need to totally reconfigure the new installation?
Will I need to start all over again with installing all of the extensions and tools that I had been running in 1.5.4?

The documentation on upgrading provides no answers so I am posting here for some guidance before I do an upgrade (if at all).

Hi, mars. There is a way to backup, save and reuse the same Profile but I have never been able to make it work, but others seems to have success with it. For me it seems starting over from scratch results in a more stable installation. I understand that 1.6xx has been dropped as 1.7 is now being developed. I too use 1.5.4 which is not as fast as 1.6xx but using Rdisk seems to make all browsers encredibly fast once it builds a cache. However, when the machine is booted or rebooted this cache is lost but you can copy the cache folder and copy it back to the Rdisk, Temp folder so Rdisk does not have to rebuild it.

As far as backing up and reusing the same Profile with a new installation, someone who knows how to make it work will no doubt respond soon and help you work it out.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 09, 2010 05:55PM

1.5.4 and subsequent 1.6/1.7 versions currently share the same profile type & can even the same profile (make sure that all used skins - 1.6 has new default one - are present in all setup folders).

Profiles are usually self contained & can be copied/backuped easily.
Can be copied into new locations. How 2 is a FAnsweredQ.
Easiest keep a fresh backup, create a new Profile, copy old profiles data files there (into it).

On rare occasions profiles get busted or lost.
Settings are best made new.
Most vital data files are best copied from old to new location:
Bookmarks.html, *.db. opera.*.

*.s (password) data are best transferred by copy&paste to new *.s file after the new file was created (after a first pwd is set).

Details are also FAQs.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2010 06:28PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: June 09, 2010 06:13PM

1.6a is still an alpha version, not even beta yet. It has a couple real flaws yet, so I would never trash the "normal" version yet!

And why trash it, seeing that it's quite easy to install other versions in another folder, and make them portable, meaning they have their own profiles inside, independant, not messing the KM1.5 one in c:/users/ etc. Then those different installs can be used parallel to each other, for playing with settings and macros without risking much smiling smiley

If you wanna try just download and unzip KM16 in some place where you have writing rights (important for profile!). Then add an empty file named "profile.ini" in the KM program folder, and click K-Meleon.exe to start it. If it doesnt work right away, restart the computer, a few people have posted they had this prob. May have to do with security settings or such, no idea.

If the profiles are really independant and inside, you can experiment with them now smiling smiley Best make a backup copy of the whole KM folder first, in case something gets messed by experimenting, then you're really on the safe side.
Frankly I'm lazy and made a copy of my KM1.5 folder, portable mode of course with "profile.ini" in it, then unzipped the new KM1.6 over it and started :cool: It did crash at startup, because not all settings are compatible, but in my case the culprit was only the tabs at "bottom" in prefs.js, after updating that (manually in notepad) nearly all the rest of my customized stuff seems to work grinning smiley
But that's just for playing around, while the fully functional KM1.5 is still my main browser.

Posted by: mars
Date: June 10, 2010 02:22AM

Siria,
Thanks for the guidance. I thought that might be the case....being able to run both versions.
I will try that tomorrow and let the board know my results.

And many thanks again to Caktus and guenter.

Posted by: letitbeme2
Date: June 12, 2010 02:46AM

I am still confused? as in I downloaded 1.6.0a4 and extracted into another folder.
Created a shortcut from the "k-meleon.exe" and when I open this up K-Meleon help about shows "K-Meleon 1.6.0"

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20

What version am I really running????

BTW I guess I use km in basic mode as the only things I have so far added are bookmarks, but doing the above everything is in tact.

Posted by: CJ
Date: June 12, 2010 04:38AM

I must admit all I did after extracting 1.6.0a4 to a temp folder was run Explorer as Administrator, drag the whole K-Meleon folder from under Program Files to a new location and drag the new folder named as K-Meleon into it's place.

Apart from having to copy across a custom skin I was using, that was that. Same shortcuts work and all my bookmarks and other preferences appear to have been picked up fine.

About shows:

K-Meleon 1.6.0
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.10pre) Gecko K-Meleon/1.6.0

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 12, 2010 05:41PM

letitbeme2
I am still confused? as in I downloaded 1.6.0a4 and extracted into another folder.
Created a shortcut from the "k-meleon.exe" and when I open this up K-Meleon help about shows "K-Meleon 1.6.0"

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.20) Gecko/20081217 Firefox/2.0.0.20

What version am I really running????

BTW I guess I use km in basic mode as the only things I have so far added are bookmarks, but doing the above everything is in tact.

You are using 1.6.0a4, this show 1.6.0 in About (for not changed it in each alpha version), but the user agent string showed is Firefox because you have changed the user agent string to Firefox 2.0, Tools -> User Agent -> Default, to show original K-Meleon user agent string in About.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: letitbeme2
Date: June 12, 2010 07:30PM

Thanks desga2
That makes sense now. Think I had to change the user agent so I could use hotmail some time ago.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.