General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Toolbar border and text color
Posted by: JackPots
Date: June 12, 2010 06:12PM

How do you config the color of text labels in the menubar, toolbars, and tabs?
How do you config the thickness and/or color of toolbar border?

Issue is with black skins, where border is thick and grey.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Toolbar border and text color
Posted by: jsnj
Date: June 13, 2010 12:58AM

Dependent on your Windows theme. If you're on XP try one of these themes/visual styles:

EX2008
I find this one the most usable.

iQUANTUM
Links to patch your windows XP with a replacement uxtheme file are on this page.

Concave

TypeZero

Date: June 13, 2010 03:49AM

Thanks for the response.

Are you suggesting that the problem is with my current Windows Visual Style? However, I don't have the issue with other apps. Also, I am a bit wedded to my current Windows theme. I was hoping for some setting in a config file.

JP

Date: June 13, 2010 04:52AM

Yes, KM is dependent on Windows for those elements. There is no config file or setting within KM for them. You could also alter the VS you're using, specifically the borders. Display Properties - Appearance - Advanced - Active/Inactive Window Border. Then save as a new theme.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 04:56AM by jsnj.

Date: June 13, 2010 04:09PM

I think I may have mispresented the issue, so let me try again:

Having applied a theme, and having selected "Display toolbar background" in Preferences, the individual toolbars have thickened right borders. These are not the drag handles that appear when toolbars are unlocked. All the right borders of each toolbar are about 3x the thickness of the other sides, and remain the same color as when the toolbar's background is not displayed, i.e. ~10% black. All of this is within the client area of the application (K-meleon). This is not regarding the application window border.

Doing as suggested, should (and did) only affect the the areas where the application interfaces with the Windows Explorer shell. Applying the first of the VS themes, did not give desired results as well.

The problem is that the a) the borders are too thick, or, b) the toolbar/borders require transparency.

So, the questions are:
1. How do I configure the thickness of the toolbar border to zero (or transparent), so that it will look like this > http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/?binary=internal%3A%2F%2Fd1b7d950cd2ce50853d6ef6d3b00af1e.jpeg which shows no border (or an invisible one)?

2. How do I configure the color of the text in the tab-bar?

Thanks.

K-Meleon 1.5.4, portable profiles
Windows XP-SP3+

Posted by: siria
Date: June 13, 2010 05:22PM

Funny, hiding the toolbar borders or such is so rarely asked, but now all of a sudden by 3 people almost at once! grinning smiley

JackPots
1. How do I configure the thickness of the toolbar border to zero (or transparent), so that it will look like this > http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/?binary=internal%3A%2F%2Fd1b7d950cd2ce50853d6ef6d3b00af1e.jpeg which shows no border (or an invisible one)?

Oh...! *lighgtbulb* Nothing like a screenshot to describe a question :cool:
Had you told from the beginning that you don't really want to change the thickness and color, but simply hide the toolbar borders, this would have avoided a bit confusion ;-) Just add the first of those preferences:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?4,107625,107629#msg-107629

So all you can do is hide them, not modify colors etc. Your other question about text color in tabs, menus etc. was clear, and jsnj said there's no config for colors. If HE says so you can rely on it :cool: You sure your windows default menu color is different from that in KM??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 05:34PM by siria.

Date: June 13, 2010 06:13PM

Re: Toolbar border
Thanks for the response. I did as suggested. The result is as follows:
http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=29w1r8n&s=6

No success as yet. Do you have any other suggestions?

JP

Date: June 13, 2010 06:43PM

That's rather weird...
So you added "kmeleon.display.toolbars_line", made it BOOL, set to "false", and you opened a new window to see the changed setting? But it still shows the lines?? Do you still have horizontal lines too?
That's definitely not normal, and as you described above you have those thick dividers only on the right side? That's certainly not normal either...

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 13, 2010 07:52PM

@ siria

Can confirm that "kmeleon.display.toolbars_line" has no effect.
KM 1.6.0a4 on XP-SP3

Is my spelling of pref correct?

Date: June 13, 2010 08:43PM

I am usually very thorough, but after all the comments I second-guessed myself. So, I downloaded a new zip, unpacked it, added profile.ini, added skin, started app, locked toolbar, added your browser config, and restarted. The result was the same.

JP

Date: June 13, 2010 08:57PM

JamesD
Can confirm that "kmeleon.display.toolbars_line" has no effect.
KM 1.6.0a4 on XP-SP3
Is my spelling of pref correct?

Good idea... Okay, copy directly from my about:config:
kmeleon.display.toolbars_line / Bool / false

Hmm, can't find any typo, but it definitely works for me in KM154 and also in KM16a3+4. Am happily using this setting in my favorite skin.
(Both KM versions tested in Win98, and KM154 also tested in XP (guess sp3?) and Vista)
Just tested with 16a4 default skin AuraAlpha in a new profile, no prob.
Of course a new window must be opened, and the toolbars must be locked, otherwise only the horizontal lines vanish.

Weird...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2010 08:59PM by siria.

Posted by: slayer
Date: June 13, 2010 09:08PM

Do you have the tool-bars locked? When they are locked they take less space.

Date: June 13, 2010 10:33PM

JackPots

JP

The toolbars_line pref which hides the lines when set to false only works with SOME Windows themes/VS's when the toolbar background is enabled, not all, mainly the Windows classic based themes. The pref will always work when the background is disabled regardless of the Windows theme/VS. It's a bug.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 14, 2010 01:04AM

@ jsnj

In my case I have to turn off the toolbar background to stop display of the toolbar lines.

Good to know that. Thanks.

Date: June 14, 2010 02:22AM

jsnj
JackPots

JP

The toolbars_line pref which hides the lines when set to false only works with SOME Windows themes/VS's when the toolbar background is enabled, not all, mainly the Windows classic based themes. The pref will always work when the background is disabled regardless of the Windows theme/VS. It's a bug.

Well that's that. I thank you all for your efforts.

I think the border is still there when the background image is disabled; it is just consistent with the rest of the grey background.

Has this bug been officially reported?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.