General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Why is there not an undo button for emails? Or am I missing something?
Posted by: Jessie
Date: June 15, 2010 12:04PM

Moderation note:

As of 2023-09-21, this thread has been permanently closed.

This thread never has been about K-meleon, just people complaining about there is no undo button on a Mail Web Interface (said Yahoo, Gmail, Outlook, etc, accessed through a web browser).

All browsers can handle the ctrl + z key combination on mail interfaces editable areas.

There isn't an issue with K-meleon web browser, what this forum is about, nor other browsers. It is just the human factor.

If you have reached this page after using your preferred search engine trying to find a solution or a site to complain, well, it is just useless. As so, this thread has been closed.

Have a nice day and remember to be cautious when typing smiling smiley

Now, the original post after this line.

I know I can't be the only one that has this problem and I know the best thing to do is create an email in word then copy and paste, but does anyone else find it mind numbingly frustrating once you have perfected your lenghty email and your ready to deliver and you accidentaly delete the ENTIRE F'ING THING?? And Yahoo! convienently saves over your draft at that precise moment and your email is gone forever? I keep doing this despite knowing its bound to happen. Usually when I know I'm going to be sending an email like that, I type it in word and paste it but my best emails are never planned and once flowing, unstoppable. I've tried searching the issue and can't find anything. Am I missing something here? Is there a way to get it back? If not, any tips out there on how to prevent it? There is no way I can change my email address and my account is so organized I do not want to bother with forwarding it to a separate account. I guess I can train my self to begin every email in a word doc, but there has to be a better way! Any tips would be greatly appreciated! Sorry to rant, just frustrated!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2023 03:05PM by JohnHell.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why is there not an undo button for emails? Or am I missing something?
Posted by: disrupted
Date: June 15, 2010 01:01PM

but that isn't a kmeleon bug.. it's not possible for a browser to detect user errors when typing..there's an undo button in text contect/edit menu but only effective as long as you haven't surfed from the page and within the same form. what you're asking for can be added as a feature in yahoo ajax itself so it's better to contact yahoo for such a feature.

in kmeleon you can use extensions like quicknote, text archiver and archive editor which can save your text/email as a temporarily backup incase you hit the wrong buttons and ensures your typing isn't lost. i think for your needs, archive editor is the best choice as it lets you type in notepad and auto saves and pastes your text in the browser form.

all 3 extensions can be downloaded from:
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext4.htm

Posted by: siria
Date: June 15, 2010 05:53PM

Great, a user hits delete and then complains that his browser had a bug if it really deletes :-( How I love such people :mad:

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 16, 2010 08:06PM

smiling smiley
K-Meleon is guilty of the international economic crisis, the BP oil spill in Golf of Mexico, of the war in Afghanistan, the Iranian nuclear project and the Israeli blockade on Gaza. But K-Meleon isn't guilty of human mistake, that's God's fault.

Are you try to use Ctrl+Z to undo changes in the mail text? (Ouch! you know to use Windows, yes it is?) tongue sticking out smiley

Someone, time ago in forum, added the edit menu options (cut, copy, paste, undo) to right click context menu to do this more easy. Something like add in Edit -> Configuration -> Menus:

!DocumentPopup{
-
!EditHistory
!Edit
!Select
}

More documentation about it.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 19, 2010 05:12AM

What I and many others do is compose our emails in a text editor (not word as that is overkill imo).

I use Metapad (renamed to notepad), but there are many others that do the same. Then I copy and paste the text.

N

Posted by: Carf
Date: February 08, 2012 04:02AM

Oh to be perfect like you Siria

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 08, 2012 04:02PM

Jessie
... Any tips would be greatly appreciated! ...

Jessie,
try to dоwnload this app - this can help you if you'll read little HOW-TO:

• first of all, this is russian software and I don't know whether it has international GUI (user interface) but I'll try to help you.

• second, it's language autoswitcher and you probably don't need this. But what you really need is the 'diary' plugin - actually it's 'good' keylogger (not the hackers tool, of course!), which saves all you are typing in any application. This saves me many times when I had troubles like yours one. So, if you want real time backup of you typing and no more shit from this software, I can help you:

- download (the link above) and install it - if it shows you russian words or some unreadable, try to refer to the next screenshоts:

A.

1) Keep offered location for application install

2) Check ОFF this 2 boxes

3) Press this button to install

After running installed app, you'll get an icon in system tray looking like this:

Right-click it and choose first line of context menu - you'll get into setup.

B.

There you need check only two settings.

1) On the first page (it will be selected by default) you need check only first box (marked on the image above - at right-hand side) - this provides autoload of this program at windows startup.
Check OFF all other boxes if you need fully silent work.
But you can leave 4-th and 8-th (from the top) boxes checked if you want to see an icon in the tray (4-th box) as you lang flag (8-th box)

2) Then select last line in the left column (marked as '2') and look at the next screenshot.

C.

Here you are!

Just check ON all 4 boxes marked at right.

Then press OK and that's it! It works silently saving all you typing!

To get it when needed, run diary.exe from the Program Files\Yandex\Punto Switcher and choose the right date (current is shown by default)...

P.S. Sorry, I don't know another app with such functionality - in any language...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2012 04:05PM by rodocop.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: February 08, 2012 04:48PM

mmmm guys, have you noticed this is thread from June 2010!!!!!

Posted by: rodocop
Date: February 08, 2012 06:21PM

It may be useful for someone anyway... tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 29, 2016 12:56PM

Hello,
If anyone cared to look - desga2 on June 17, 2010 03:06AM
said it all in broken English

Cntrl+Z to undo changes in the mail text

Posted by: foliator
Date: April 29, 2016 03:22PM

Ctrl Z will only help if you catch the mistake before hitting the submit button. I've made mistakes like that too, which is why I now write all my e-mails in a mail client on my hard drive, rather than on a webmail site. My ISP has a webmail service, and I have a Gmail account as well, but both services allow me to send and receive mail with a mail client. Does Yahoo still allow that? I used their e-mail service a long time ago, but have since deleted the account.

The other kind of mistake I've caught myself making is this: While posting to a forum, I'll sometimes hit the backspace key to delete some text, not noticing that I've accidentally moved the mouse and clicked on an area outside the text box. Backspacing sends me back a page, of course, so I wind up returning to an empty text box. :O Same thing happens if I'm only half awake and hit the home button. This is where a text editor comes in handy; even the simplest plain-text editor will do the job.

At any rate, most errors of this nature stem either from rushing or from being too deeply immersed in what you're trying to say in the message. Sometimes distractions from the website itself can cause errors, too.

---
Gerry

Posted by: siria
Date: April 29, 2016 07:16PM

foliator
While posting to a forum, I'll sometimes hit the backspace key to delete some text, not noticing that I've accidentally moved the mouse and clicked on an area outside the text box. Backspacing sends me back a page, of course, so I wind up returning to an empty text box

In that cases hitting the *forward* button shows the text again, from cache, although not everywhere. But sure in this forum here, am testing this action quite often :cool:

In other cases, chances improve when setting the browser offline first (File>Work Offine), then it retrieves stuff from cache more often than online.

Posted by: foliator
Date: April 29, 2016 10:21PM

I'm trying that now -- yes, I guess KM does retain the text on this forum, although definitely not on some others I've used in the past, and in some corporate feedback forms, as well. But "gelernt ist gelernt", or as my mother was fond of saying, "Live and learn!" smiling smiley

It doesn't work here, however, if the tab is closed accidentally and restored with Ctrl Alt Z (or my custom shortcut, Ctrl Shift T). I tried that while keeping my unfinished post in the clipboard as a precaution.

---
Gerry

Posted by: L erkila
Date: August 07, 2022 09:14PM

Nope I do not think you are missing anything at all. That's why I am here too. So freaking mad. Lord have mercy I get to start all over. My email did not even go to draft. That is how unfortunate I am. Going to laugh at myself instead of crying.

Posted by: Izo
Date: November 16, 2022 12:20PM

Thankyou:cool:

Posted by: Deloris White
Date: September 21, 2023 12:52PM

Accidents happen. Guess you never had one. Everything else has an undo....it's really user "unfriendly" not to have one conveniently placed. Wish everyone was as perfect as you appear to be.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.