General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-meleon new versions
Posted by: Naveen
Date: June 18, 2010 09:36AM

The K-meleon home page says K-meleon 1.5.4 is the last official release. Has been been no development after this? If there is any new version, please provide link for the windows installer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-meleon new versions
Posted by: siria
Date: June 18, 2010 09:42AM

Version 1.5.4 is only 3 months old, that's not overly outdated in my eyes... But right below 1.5.4. there is also a link to the current development version, KM 1.6.0alpha4. That's not finished yet and meant for testing, although some people already use it as their main browser and are quite happy with it. Perhaps it's "almost" finished smiling smiley
Here is more info about development state of KM 1.6:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleon16

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2010 09:46AM by siria.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 18, 2010 04:29PM

Naveen
The K-meleon home page says K-meleon 1.5.4 is the last official release. Has been been no development after this? If there is any new version, please provide link for the windows installer.

Naveen,

As Siria said, 1.5.4 is based upon a recent upgrade from Mozilla. As for 1.6, it is in alpha testing, so then beta, then release candidates. Personally it runs OK, but there are issues that need work as in all alpha releases which, imo, are not for everyday use.

N

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: June 22, 2010 03:37AM

siria
Perhaps it's "almost" finished smiling smiley

KM 1.6 will be "almost" finished when it reaches late beta or any RC release of it.
it's still far from a finished product and hasn't reached beta status yet.

Posted by: landyk
Date: June 22, 2010 07:09AM

spam post remove, ip logged for landy: 120.156.82.117
abuse complaint with time stamp sent to isp telstra.net

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 05:13PM by disrupted.

Posted by: panzer
Date: June 22, 2010 08:21AM

4td8s
siria
Perhaps it's "almost" finished smiling smiley

KM 1.6 will be "almost" finished when it reaches late beta or any RC release of it.
it's still far from a finished product and hasn't reached beta status yet.

Maybe in 2011. sad smiley

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 22, 2010 08:09PM

panzer
Maybe in 2011.

IMHO wishful thinking. tongue sticking out smiley

K-Meleon is going nowhere until some more ppl with some time and knowledge pick up.

12. of Mai 2010: Dorian wrote in a mail in answer to a question by Alex.Tarantul.

As for 1.6 release, there are things I can't control (kmprefs, chrome, translations). Therefore i can't tell when it can be released. At that time, 1.6 could be skipped if usability of 1.7 is sufficient.

To explain:

kmprefs were done in the past by kko - who has job obligations now = no time.

chrome was done in the past by me - who lacks the brain to do it again.

An additional coder for kplugins would be also helpful.
Just in view of recent problems with the leak in adblock.dll.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 08:47PM by guenter.

Date: June 23, 2010 12:32AM

Guenter,

If KKO can't do macro language, then perhaps he can recommend someone who can. You can do similar, if you know of anyone.

IF we can't find anyone in this fashion, we need to advertise somewhere? IDEAS?

P.S.

Considering the speed at which Mozilla Corp is changing Gecko (and the speed at which some are abandoning ship (e.g., Flock), perhaps Dorian is correct in picking one of the recent 1.9.xxxx Geckos to focus in on. If he thinks Gecko 1.9.2 (aka KM 1.7) is the way to go, why go in any other direction?

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 12:34AM by ndebord.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 23, 2010 11:47AM

@ Guenter and ndebord

I would like to help, but I am not sure what is included in kmprefs. Is that the panels we see from EDIT - PREFERENCES ? I looked at the jar and could see some XML but I don't know what language or skills I would need to help.

I am a retired programmer, but my skills were in mainframe SAS.

Posted by: caktus
Date: June 23, 2010 05:16PM

ndebord
Naveen

Naveen,

As Siria said, 1.5.4 is based upon a recent upgrade from Mozilla. As for 1.6, it is in alpha testing, so then beta, then release candidates. Personally it runs OK, but there are issues that need work as in all alpha releases which, imo, are not for everyday use.

Almost hard to believe 1.5.4 is less than four months old. Especially since I still used 1.5.3 for a while after 1.5.4 was released, not to mention having gone from 1.5.4 to 1.6 and back again to 1.5.4. 1.6 was very fast but I had to revert back to 1.5.4 because I needed a browser good enough for regular use. Now that I am also using RamDisk, 1.5.4 is about as fast as 1.6. Mind you, am I on a discount dialup connection and this configuration is some times faster than my neighbor's RR connection.smiling smiley Will 1.6 and 1.7 be any better than 1.5.4 with RamDisk?

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: June 23, 2010 08:21PM

@ ndebord, K-Meleon is no fashionable or commercial project. We cannot go & get or pay mercenaries. Al tried to attract coders in 2005. He ended learning some coding himself smiling smiley

kko is AFAIK self taught - so he has no class mates... The same here.
Nobody to ask.

K-Meleon users have to decide themselves whether they can take up responsibility and help.

No big announcements needed, grab some code or function item, fix or create it and send the result to Dorian.

The same thing that was done by extension coders. Only that browser core items have to be submitted not just published in extension forum grinning smiley

It worked that way since 2005. It enabled self taught persons to contribute. smiling smiley

JamesD

I would like to help, but I am not sure what is included in kmprefs. Is that the panels we see from EDIT - PREFERENCES ? I looked at the jar and could see some XML but I don't know what language or skills I would need to help.

I am a retired programmer, but my skills were in mainframe SAS.

Yes, the items in the jar.

kmprefs is XUL = JavaScript and optical elements similar to html.
Entry = http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/XML_User_Interface_Language

Currently needed is a repair job. That is the main problem.

Opening e.g. Search & Password settings raises exceptions (view in K-Meleon Error Console). After this the JavaScript used stops.

The reason is IMHO the altered security model used by the 1.9 GREs.
It seems that items may not contact files in certain locations.
Result: Undefined functions.

Relocate JS code or output files?

The minor layout shortages can be fixed by a css from SeaMonkey.
They are no real problem.

p.s. Even a retired programmer has more chance to understand c++ or JavaScript than me smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 08:34PM by guenter.

Date: June 23, 2010 08:33PM

guenter
@ ndebord, K-Meleon is no fashionable or commercial project we cannot go & get or pay mercenaries.

kko is AFAIK self taught - so he has no class mates... The same here.
Nobody to ask.

K-Meleon users have to decide themselves whether they can take up responsibility and help.

No big announcements needed, grab some code or function item fix or create it and send the result to Dorian or kko.

Guenter,

Not advertise as in pay, but I was thinking about dropping a hook in the water at MozillaZine in Other Applications and 3rd Party Builds. Just a thought.

N

Date: June 23, 2010 08:37PM

caktus

Almost hard to believe 1.5.4 is less than four months old. Especially since I still used 1.5.3 for a while after 1.5.4 was released, not to mention having gone from 1.5.4 to 1.6 and back again to 1.5.4. 1.6 was very fast but I had to revert back to 1.5.4 because I needed a browser good enough for regular use. Now that I am also using RamDisk, 1.5.4 is about as fast as 1.6. Mind you, am I on a discount dialup connection and this configuration is some times faster than my neighbor's RR connection.smiling smiley Will 1.6 and 1.7 be any better than 1.5.4 with RamDisk?

Charlie,

KM 1.6.xx with ramdisk is even faster than KM 1.5.4 with ramdisk and without the ramdisk is faster than KM 1.5.4 witha ramdisk to my subjective eye. A newer version of KM based on Gecko 1.9.xxx is necessary, if not required right away IMO.

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 08:38PM by ndebord.

Date: June 23, 2010 08:39PM

@ndebord, as I added to my post as afterthought already. Al tried to recruit in 2005.
No result.

It is either wait (maybe kko has time later) or try. XUL is specialized know how.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 08:40PM by guenter.

Date: June 23, 2010 08:43PM

ndebord
A newer version of KM based on Gecko 1.9.xxx is necessary, if not required right away IMO.

It is needed sooner or later for the fast JS JIT, that it has and for its html 5.

Dorian's C++ part is IMHO mostly finished. The chrome parts are not finished.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2010 08:48PM by guenter.

Date: June 23, 2010 10:00PM

guenter
@ndebord, as I added to my post as afterthought already. Al tried to recruit in 2005.
No result.

It is either wait (maybe kko has time later) or try. XUL is specialized know how.

Guenter,

Well, 2005 is old history now. Perhaps some of the FireFox people might consider coming over to the "fast" side now. <g>

N

Date: June 24, 2010 12:09AM

Why should I support a mere firefox "clone" - was the answer when I asked for a bugfix in an extension. IMHO that will still be their opinion after all these years. sad smiley

As You noted Yourself - as long as K-Meleon is using the older engine, it is slower. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2010 12:13AM by guenter.

Date: June 24, 2010 03:57AM

guenter
Why should I support a mere firefox "clone" - was the answer when I asked for a bugfix in an extension. IMHO that will still be their opinion after all these years. sad smiley

As You noted Yourself - as long as K-Meleon is using the older engine, it is slower. sad smiley

guenter,

Yes, but the argument would be help us with KM 1.6 or KM 1.7. With the new Gecko 1.9.xxx engine it will be faster than Firefox!

As for the fanboys, I see an ever increasing mindset of circling the wagons. One should not criticize FireFox for fear of being handed one's head.

That tendency among fans is one reason why I am perfectly happy to put up with our open forum structure here. We may get flamed, from time to time, but ours is a strong and intelligent community and the idiots can't cope with that level of response. <g>

N

Date: June 24, 2010 05:28AM

ndebord
caktus

Charlie,

KM 1.6.xx with ramdisk is even faster than KM 1.5.4 with ramdisk and without the ramdisk is faster than KM 1.5.4 witha ramdisk to my subjective eye. A newer version of KM based on Gecko 1.9.xxx is necessary, if not required right away IMO.

Thanks you, ndebord. It is sounding like 1.6 may now be ready for action or close. I will give 1.6 another try.

Charlie

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: June 24, 2010 07:28AM

guenter
grab some code or function item

Well, could someone just flatten the learning curve for that one a bit for me please? (point me to a "svn how-to" that would be? or something else?) Not that I'm sure I can help, but I feel like I can't even tell ...

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: June 24, 2010 12:39PM

caktus

Thanks you, ndebord. It is sounding like 1.6 may now be ready for action or close. I will give 1.6 another try.

Charlie,

NO... KM 1.6 is an alpha release, which means it is not ready for prime time. I think now is the time to fight to find coders for the macro language and Chrome, as Guenter has so passionately said. Dorian's work, it seems is pretty far along, but it's like a good engine missing part of the control panel.

KM 1.6 (or KM 1.7) is a work in progress. We need to get past the Alpha to a Beta and on to some Release Candidates.

Having said that, I do have 1.6a4 on my HD, but not as my everyday browser.... that is where I use KM 1.5.4.

N

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2010 12:43PM by ndebord.

Date: June 24, 2010 02:44PM

ndebord
caktus

Charlie,

NO... KM 1.6 is an alpha release, which means it is not ready for prime time. I think now is the time to fight to find coders for the macro language and Chrome, as Guenter has so passionately said. Dorian's work, it seems is pretty far along, but it's like a good engine missing part of the control panel.

KM 1.6 (or KM 1.7) is a work in progress. We need to get past the Alpha to a Beta and on to some Release Candidates.

Having said that, I do have 1.6a4 on my HD, but not as my everyday browser.... that is where I use KM 1.5.4.

Thank you, ndebord, for your comments. I realize 1.6 is still in alpha. From previous posts here and in other froums, it sounded as if 1.6a4 was far enough along that it was mostly good enough for general use. I will wait until it is at least in beta or RC.

BTW, I think I read some where in the forums that there is a plugin or add-on that will permit a user to safely use multiple versions of KM without the different profiles being affected. Would you happen to know about this or where it can be downloaded from?

Thank you,

Charlie

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: June 24, 2010 03:09PM

Hi, cactus,

no need for a plugin for that. If every instance of KM "knows" the path to its own profile, it's enough to start it with the "-new" Command Line Option, either from a Windows shortcut or from ->Start -> Run.
See Command Line Options

You shouldn't use the restarter though, when you have two different KMs running.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2010 03:09PM by SoerenB.

Date: June 24, 2010 07:36PM

No download of extension or plugin. It is a setup option that gets You there.

You can use K-Meleons besides each other with a new profile each when You deselect multi user profiles at setup (or add a profile.ini to the install directory manually, the ini can be an empty file).

I created a spare profile to use with 1.6 and 1.5. This way I can use that part of 1.5 preferences menu that is currently not functional in 1.6 to configure 1.6. AFAIK It is only some eye candy in chrome and some prefs such as fine tune search that do not work in 1.6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2010 07:38PM by guenter.

Posted by: desga2
Date: June 24, 2010 08:18PM

I known the problem with the chrome in new Gecko 1.9.x but I don't know about Macro problem in Gecko 1.9.x, I think Macro worked fine in KM 1.6a4, or am I wrong?

I can try to fix the KM 1.6a4 chrome. I tried some time ago to learn XUL but I abandoned becuase I found some unexplicable problems and I was bored with XUL and very busy to search for problem explications.

I can start this weekend with this work and in a pair of months I'll can released an unofficial chrome for KM 1.6a, but is possible that for this time kko will have time to rebuild chrome and incluse KM 1.6 could be released like final version.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: June 25, 2010 03:50AM

Thanks, Guys, for the options for using multiple KM's at one time.smiling smiley

Charlie

Date: June 26, 2010 07:20PM

desga2
I known the problem with the chrome in new Gecko 1.9.x

but I don't know about Macro problem in Gecko 1.9.x, I think Macro worked fine in KM 1.6a4, or am I wrong?

I can try to fix the KM 1.6a4 chrome. I tried some time ago to learn XUL but I abandoned becuase I found some unexplicable problems and I was bored with XUL and very busy to search for problem explications.

I can start this weekend with this work

1.) Exactly. New chrome security guideline cause problems that are IMHO specific to K-Meleon.

2.) AFAIK no problems with K-Meleon's macros.

3.) The same here: chrome makes unexplicable problems too often.

4.) No hurry. I will send You what I have got done on Sunday evening or Monday.
I got some work done on main chrome. But I did not get any further for long.

Nothing done by me for kmprefs (except an optical fix) sad smiley.
From what kmprefs errors I obeserved: the known kmprefs seem to come from the new security concept also. The search and mouse items cannot connect to xml that is in profile - maybe You can try to relocate path and file to chrome folder in user profile?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2010 07:25PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.