General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Bugs in v1.5.4 in Win7 Starter
Posted by: Just Me
Date: June 20, 2010 09:48PM

1. Can't change home page.
2. Doesn't remember toolbar preferences.
3. Can't add/edit bookmarks.
4. Can't remove hotlinks from view.
5. Doesn't remember window size/location upon close/re-start of program.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bugs in v1.5.4 in Win7 Starter
Posted by: siria
Date: June 20, 2010 10:32PM

No bug. Grant yourself writing rights in the profile folder!
(Edit > Configuration > Profile Directory)

Posted by: timtak
Date: July 30, 2010 01:12AM

This solution worked for me, to get K-Meleon to remember bookmarks, toolbar positions, "remind me when" settings, window sizes all on on Win 7.

I understand from an earlier thread that installing the multi user option will also result in K-Meleon doing the following for us. I hope that the single user install will also change the properties one day but in the meantime

Browse to "Program Files (x86)\K-Meleon"
right click the "Profiles" folder
from the right click menu choose Properties > Security Tab
choose the "...\users" from the upper field
click Edit
check the "write" or is that "change" check box second from the top
(or perhaps "full control" checkbox at the top)
click okay to apply changes

But I still can not turn off the IE Favourites bar (perhaps that is what is meant by "Can't remove hotlinks from view"). I have just tried giving the "CREATOR OWNER" full control over the Profiles folder, and restarting K-Meleon, but that did not work either.

I think that perhaps this unable to change Profiles folder on Win 7 issue should be made a sticky.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 01:16AM by timtak.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: July 30, 2010 11:44AM

Hi, no bug again, most probably.

"But I still can not turn off the IE Favourites bar "

-is that the Favorites Bar IN K-Meleon?

Then: F2 -> K-Meleon Plugins -> IE Favorites -> Favorites Bar (tab)

untick "Enable Favorites bar", Restart K-Meleon.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 11:58AM by SoerenB.

Posted by: siria
Date: July 30, 2010 01:36PM

timtak
I think that perhaps this unable to change Profiles folder on Win 7 issue should be made a sticky.

Well, your tips sure are helpful for some readers, that's good, but IMHO you cannot really claim that a new car is faulty, just because it ran out of fuel after some days... It does take a little bit of basic knowledge how to handle it, just like an operating system needs too. And this protection is a global Windows setting, not a program setting!

As long as one keeps Microsofts default setting for XP/Vista/7, which protects the "programs" folder from writing, you *will* have to tell your computer manually for which subfolders you want exceptions, where you want writing permissions against the global rule, that's the system - You cannot tell it at the same time "Protect my programs folder" and then complain that it does, that it requires you to individually change permission for subfolders for which you want an exception...

To avoid this prob, either use the KM default settings for installation, which will put the personal profile elsewhere (=multi-user), in a user folder outside "programs". OR install portable programs anywhere else, in an unprotected place, not in "programs" folder. OR tell your system to globally allow writing in the programs folder, but that would be rather risky. OR - do as you did, and as Microsoft intended, manually allow exceptions from the write-protection ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 01:39PM by siria.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.