General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
FF OOPP
Posted by: ndebord
Date: June 27, 2010 04:51AM

So what do we think about FireFox 3.6.4's new feature? The fabled OOPP, which allows one affiliated app (like Flash) to crash without crashing the browser itself? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

N

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FF OOPP
Posted by: snuz2
Date: June 27, 2010 04:54AM

Well, isolation is almost always good. Hardware enforced isolation is even better. but the real problem - Flash must go !!! what other plugin can crash like flash? there are no competitors, flash = trash.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: June 27, 2010 10:23AM

Well, we have flashblock. That seems to work good for me. For those things that I do view in flash, I have never had a crash.

Posted by: JohnHell
Date: June 27, 2010 03:43PM

I find as a good approach for stability ndboard, but, to be fair, the latest flash version, I don't know what they did, but on my system (win2k, K-M 1.1.6 and GRE update) is performing very good. So maybe this new feature is not necessary now grinning smiley

I used to have crashes with full screen videos and now... 0 (zero). I watched FIFA 2010 cup matches with online streams at full screen and the 90 minutes were absolutely stable, no hangs, no crash, nothing.

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 27, 2010 08:53PM

chrome also has separate processes. Maybe ok when You have ample resources.

Date: June 28, 2010 02:38AM

guenter

Guenter,

I've heard rumors that this OOPP thingee is a problem because it increases memory leak problems that are endemic in FF (with SQLite, etc) by running each app in a separate memory module, or some such. This kind of stuff is way beyond my skill limits, so my excuses if I am pushing junk science here.

N

Posted by: Lux
Date: June 28, 2010 06:12AM

ndebord
guenter

Guenter,

I've heard rumors that this OOPP thingee is a problem because it increases memory leak problems that are endemic in FF (with SQLite, etc) by running each app in a separate memory module, or some such. This kind of stuff is way beyond my skill limits, so my excuses if I am pushing junk science here.

Firefox doesn't have memory leaks unless you are talking about the older versions (FF 1.x~2.x). It's addons (only problematic ones not all addons) that cause memory leaks.

However, it's true that separating process increases memory usage. As the evidence for that, Google Chrome consumes a lot of memory despite its simple functionality.

Well, I think it's not a bad thing if you have plenty of resource as Guenter says. It can improve a number of things like stability and performance with multi-core processor.

Posted by: caktus
Date: June 28, 2010 08:33AM

I too do not recall ever experiencing a flash-crash.:O

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: June 28, 2010 01:27PM

Lux
ndebord
guenter

Guenter,

Firefox doesn't have memory leaks unless you are talking about the older versions (FF 1.x~2.x). It's addons (only problematic ones not all addons) that cause memory leaks.

However, it's true that separating process increases memory usage. As the evidence for that, Google Chrome consumes a lot of memory despite its simple functionality.

Well, I think it's not a bad thing if you have plenty of resource as Guenter says. It can improve a number of things like stability and performance with multi-core processor.

Ah well, that leaves me out with my old Pentium M single core processor! <weak grin>

N

Posted by: guenter
Date: June 28, 2010 03:44PM

Lux
Google Chrome consumes a lot of memory despite its simple functionality.

It can improve a number of things like stability and performance with multi-core processor.

This feature can probably also help with other systems - RAM is not so scarce as it use to be.

For me: a can maybe even a like to have but not a must have smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2010 03:45PM by guenter.

Posted by: chinarobin
Date: June 30, 2010 03:22AM

i met high cpu usage suddenly many times, and km froze then, and the only way to go is restart the browser.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: July 03, 2010 12:06AM

chinarobin
i met high cpu usage suddenly many times, and km froze then, and the only way to go is restart the browser.

i wonder if visiting flash-heavy sites can cause KM to have high cpu usage? smiling smiley

Date: July 03, 2010 02:56AM

4td8s
chinarobin

i wonder if visiting flash-heavy sites can cause KM to have high cpu usage? smiling smiley

4td8s,

Probably, but does not using Flashblock counter that by blocking unless you click on a flash content?

P.S. It seems that there are some issues with OOPP at FF, as per this thread at MozillaZine.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1934135&sid=d392cfcc7f4a2484a99c95f231a9c4c8

N

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 01:44PM by ndebord.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.