General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Password Manager Questions
Posted by: markxxx
Date: July 07, 2010 12:03PM

On a website I'll call Acme.Com, I would always get the password manager to remember my login and password.

Yesterday this is what I think I did. I think I brought up the site and accidently hit more keys, so in a sense a new login was entered. So the screen "Remember this login"? came up.

I think I must've hit "Never for this site." Instead of "No."

Now when I go to acme.com, no password comes up.

I went to Tools -> Privacy -> View Data -> View Passwords and I no longer see the website listed there. There is nothing at all under the radio button "rejected site"

I went into my appdata and looked for my .s file. I did a ctrl+F to see if I could search for acme.com nothing comes up in that file.

If I go to the site acme.com and enter my login and password, it takes it fine, but I no longer get an option to "remember the login and password."

How would I go about fixing this?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Password Manager Questions
Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 07, 2010 02:14PM

in the view passwords dialog(the same one you opened before), select the rejected site radio button..your site will appear, highlight it and click removeselected

Posted by: siria
Date: July 07, 2010 09:16PM

markxxx
I went to Tools -> Privacy -> View Data -> View Passwords and I no longer see the website listed there. There is nothing at all under the radio button "rejected site"
Which KM version? 1.6alpha perhaps...?

Posted by: guenter
Date: July 07, 2010 10:43PM

markxxx

You probably deleted it.

Choose in Privacy and security settings to remember passwords.

If You use a 1.6 (where that ection does not work) You can try to setup a 1.5.4 to use the same profile and manage items from 1.5.

Date: July 08, 2010 06:09AM

I tried going to

Tools -> Privacy -> View Data -> View Password and clicked the radio button for rejected sites. Nothing is in there.

I went to

F2 (Preferences) -> Privacy & Security -> And the box for Remember Login Data is checked. To be sure I unchecked it. Closed K-Meleon and the opened K-Meleon and rechecked it. Still nothing

The password manager works great for every other site. Just this site. I don't know what I did to it LOL

My version of K-Meleon is 1.5.3 and I am using Windows Vista Sp2

Posted by: disrupted-unlogged
Date: July 08, 2010 01:10PM

sorry for not reading your post properly.

i don't think you inadvertently clicked 'never' on the password prompt.. it seems the sites changed their autocomplete script to off which is sometimes they believe is a security measure to disable browsers from saving login data.

try the extension called enforce passowrd..download and install it and restart kmeleon and before logging in right click on the input and select enforce password and see if kmeleon will prompt you to save the password.

in any case that extension will help identify the propblem whether it's site-related or browser-bug. unless it's a bank website..it does help to know the specific website

enforce password download and tutorial
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,94304,94307#msg-94307

Posted by: newbie with issues
Date: July 08, 2010 05:37PM

I have a related issue. I goofed up my K-Meleon and started a new one. All I
want to transfer is my passwords and address bar history. I know if I transfer
more I may transfer the messed up part. I transferred the S file information
and all is fine with passwords. Can anyone tell me how to transfer address
bar history? Sorry if posted in wrong place.

Date: July 08, 2010 06:37PM

Looks like adress bar history is contained in prefs.js in the profile folder. If you type about:config and filterword url, it shows the entries, named MRU (most recently used).
No idea which parts you messed, but I'd just try copy over the whole old prefs.js with the history, while the browser and loader are closed, and then restart and check if your problem was transferred too or not. Of course first rename the "current" prefs.js, to keep it as backup.
If all works, fine, if not, restore the backuped prefs.js and only copy to the end of it the MRU parts from the old prefs.
Hope that wasn't too confusing :-)

Posted by: newbie with issues
Date: July 08, 2010 07:24PM

Thanks siria. I transferred the complete prefs.js file. I have only checked out
my transferred address bar typed url addresses and my passwords. But so far it
looks good. smiling smiley I did have to re do the S file after transferring prefs.js
Instead of renaming the backups I just made folders for the backups within the
profile folder. So I have backup folders for the prefs.js and the S file.
I thought it would be okay as there is already a backup folder for bookmarks.
I am asking because I do not know if there may be a way to cause some type
conflicts or make the folder too heavy or bulky. I do not want to make the browser
slow. That is what had happened to the original and it would no longer open
some emails. I had never heard of it happening until it happened to me.

Date: July 08, 2010 08:07PM

Sure, back up any way you prefer, I do that too grinning smiley
For the details I can't tell much, am no expert ;-) All I know is that unknown js-files in a profile folder are not read automatically, so I suppose KM probably only reads files and folders with the known default names, but cannot guarantee that ;-)

Oh well, "gettings slow" is very unspecific of course, could be anything. Well possible the culprit could also be one of the countless other settings in prefs.js, since it contains most of the user settings, not just the URLs, as visible when looking inside with a text editor. So if needed it's also possible to copy over just parts of it.
By the way there have been memory probs recently with Adblock Plus, in case you use it, perhaps that was the culprit, no idea.

Date: July 09, 2010 10:16AM

disrupted-unlogged
try the extension called enforce passowrd..download and install it and restart kmeleon and before logging in right click on the input and select enforce password and see if kmeleon will prompt you to save the password.

OK thanks I'll do this. I do have a question with the install.

I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it. Now I have two files

1) enforcepass.kmm
2) enforce-savepassword.ini

I put the enforcepass.kmm in the folder

Program Files -> K-Meleon -> Macros

As all the other macros are there. Is this correct? Hopefully so.

But where do I place the INI file? I am not sure about that, so I figured I'd ask rather than risk making a mess of it smiling smiley

thanks for your help

Date: July 09, 2010 11:12AM

Just verified, and as usual he included the folder structure inside the zip. So you can unzip the whole zip into the KM program folder and the files will automatically land in the correct folders smiling smiley Or look inside the zip, or unzip to a new folder if you want to check the folder structure. Then again, looks like you did that, so... Is there no folder structure? For me it's there...

The kmm is okay in the macros folder, and the ini file elsewhere, but the ini is actually not really needed for the function itself. Just for info and easier uninstall with the extensions manager, but the macro works fully with the kmm already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2010 11:14AM by siria.

Date: July 10, 2010 05:33AM

OK I have installed the enforce password but it doesn't help. It's a great tool though. But I still get no options for saving the password.

I tried a few other things. I did a system restore, but that didn't help. Didn't think it would but you never know.

I tried to reject another site just to see if it would show up in the rejecte sites when I hit that radio button. That worked OK.

I also tried to create a new profile in K-Meleon and see. I was unable to get the website to ask me to save the password with the new profile.

As I said, I right click and it does give me the enforce password option but it didn't help.

Any other suggestions? I can't figure out what got so messed up.

Date: July 18, 2010 05:05PM

Here's an update

It's definately my computer, as I tried this site on other computers and it works like it should with K-Meleon.

Here's what I did. Since my laptop had an ".S" file, I copied the ".S" file contents on the laptop to ".S" file on the desktop (the one with the issue).

Nothing happened. When I rebooted K-Meleon, the website was gone from the ".S" file on the desktop.

So I used RevoUnistaller and uninstalled K-Meleon. Downloaded the latest stable version of it 1.5.4

Then I uninstalled it completely. Reinstalled K-Meleon.

Went to the website. Still would not give me the password option. It did give me the password option on other sites. So I installed the "enforce password" add on.

Still nothing.

So I took the ".S" file from my laptop and copied the data. I then looked at the ".S" file from the Desktop and opened it. I replace the info on the ".S" file on the desktop with the ".S" file data from my laptop.

OK then I restarted K-Meleon

Now the password manager took it.

But it's still not fixed correctly. Yes my password is saved, but if I enter another name it won't ask me "Do You Want to Save This?" K-Meleon doesn't delete out my old password and login name, but it won't allow me to save more than one login name/password from that site.

This is very interesting as I have three other computers all with K-Meleon and the site works fine with them. I wonder what is causing the issue in this particular computer?

Must be in the regedit?

Oh well, at least I got my login/password for that site.

Still it's interesting, I wonder what happened:s

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.