General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
K-meleon back to default
Posted by: Matías
Date: July 11, 2010 01:44AM

Hi everyone, I've got this problem moments ago. Perhaps the title is not accurate, but something strange happened.
I've opened my K-meleon 1.5.4 as usual, but the start page did not open (the default with kmeleon, the one which says "Welcome to k-meleon ..."), instead I got this: "chrome://navigator-region/locale/region.properties" which I had never seen before. Not only that, neither my Bookmarks tab nor quick access buttons (if called so) to k-meleon website and forum didn't show up. Is it something I did wrong? I've been using this navigator for more than a year and never had anything like this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: K-meleon back to default
Posted by: siria
Date: July 11, 2010 04:56AM

Did you have a crash before?
That often messes up the start page and jumps to that language page for some reason, little bug but harmless. To repair the homepage it mostly helps to go to F2(=Edit>Pfeferences) > GUI Appearance (=first tab on top) > At Startup > Restore Default. Otherwise you can also get the normal english homepage back manually, if you choose the readme.html in the KM-program-folder. Other languages are in K-Meleon/locales/yourlanguage/readme.html

As for the other stuff, no idea, am no expert for more complicated stuff, some others can help you better there ;-)
Also not quite sure from the vague description... Do you mean it has forgotten all your profile settings, or are menu entries gone? If you click Tools>Privacy, do you see the normal menu with about a dozen entries? Did you install a new KM macro (extension) lately?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2010 04:58AM by siria.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: July 11, 2010 07:18AM

Perhaps a damaged profile.

Create a new profile to see if it's ok

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: July 11, 2010 11:32AM

I know I can change homepage, but I've mentioned it caused it seemed strange. Privacy has also changed, only popups are blocked now. Furthermore, bookmarks are gone I cannot even add them. The button has dissapeared (which located along help, tools, edit, etc).

Posted by: siria
Date: July 11, 2010 12:18PM

Ah okay, just guessing, but that looks like a bit funny combination of messed home page and forgotten path to the old profile...
No idea why (crash??), but if so, there are various ways to get the old profile back, which is just another folder in your parent profile directory. And the profile directory can either be in your windows user settings, or inside the KM program folder itself (=portable version, if at setup the multi-user-option was unchecked).

For example if you click Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory, and then go up one step, do you see another profile folder which contains your own stuff...? If yes, close the browser (and loader), then copy over its contents into the newly created profile folder... If not, the old folder is probably in the second location, but not very likely...

Date: July 11, 2010 02:18PM

I've created a new profile, and it's all back to normal. I've uploaded two pics of both the new one and the default (the one which changed)

Before I created this new profile, there was only one profile on that directory (it's name finishing with ".default"). I've checked and there is a backup file for bookmarks, I'll try to add them to the new profile. I didn't have any crash, so that's strange.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.