Re: Java Update 21
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 16, 2010 10:24AM

npjp2.dll is for java 6_21 the reason why it does not work.
Delete it and that solves the problem.

befolgt und es funzt einwandfrei = did that and it functions flawlessly.

The German confirmation is in siria's post above, which I can only quote.

My assumption is that the same procedure will work for java 6_22 too.

siria
Rockspecht
Java works normally (I tried some simple java demos I found via google and a java-based IRC chat) for me when I delete that weird npjp2.dll ("Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_21 for Mozilla browsers") from bin\new_plugin, but honestly, I have no idea what that plugin does at all and which consequences deleting it might have, but it certainly causes the this is not firefox 3! error.

Confirmation from another user that deleting npjp2.dll (version-21) works fine for him too: smiling smiley

http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?1,105039,110381#msg-110381

beerenmix
habe inzwischen...-->
von guenter
Java: ./bin/npjp2.dll (Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_21) löschen, dann kannst du auch 1.6.0_21 nehmen.

..befolgt und es funzt einwandfrei!

Posted by: siria
Date: October 16, 2010 11:45AM

I've never installed java either, so can not test myself, only quote what others say tongue sticking out smiley Googled around a bit and found this on the web, looks like there's an own setting to disable that buggy "new generation" option:

Start
Control Panel
Java Control Panel
Advance tab
Java Plug-in entry
Uncheck the check box for Enable next-generation Java Plug-in.
Click Ok and restart the system.

If I remember right someone wrote that didn't help him to remove it from Opera. Anyone can tell if it would help in KM...?

Date: October 16, 2010 04:27PM

Ich hab grad 6_22 installiert. Will mal experimentieren, was ich erreiche.

Hab da sone Idee smiling smiley

Date: October 16, 2010 05:36PM

Theory: If two plugins handle the same mime type, The plugin deployed in K-Meleon's own plugin folder gets precedence over those installed system wide. You can use this mechanism for a number of work arounds.

A Java Update 22 hack:

Get npjpi160_22.dll and npoji610.dll from

./program files/Java/jre6/bin

and copy them to

./program files/K-Meleon/plugins

This way they get precedence over C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\npjp2.dll

That is the plugin that raises the error.

Then open

Help -> About Plugins (this activates a newly installed plugin without browser restart)

Now go to a java page to test. For my test I chose my favorite lake applets site

"Lake Applets by Sterntaler" the best Lake Applet home page available in the web grinning smiley

And clicK Enter and View Lake Applets smiling smiley

You probably have to do that for each K-Meleon 1.5 or older that You have installed.

Can someone check whether it works on other systems too.

Here: OS XP pro SP3, K-Meleon1.5.4de-DE.

p.s. For 1.6 I plugin works out of the box. First thought it was because I was spoofing fox, sorry.

p.s. Guess I delete npjp2.dll - I have several K-Meleon versions.
And I do not use Firefox to view applets grinning smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 09:18PM by guenter.

Posted by: Matt
Date: October 16, 2010 07:06PM

Just installed U22.
I didn't uncheck the check box for Enable next-generation Java Plug-in and Java works und K-M 1.5.4 and 1.6 preBeta, XP SP3.

I'm not taking orders from date-boy tongue sticking out smiley

Date: October 16, 2010 09:16PM

Did not see the option. & installed Java with default values. sad smiley

p.s. Had to use the off-line installer, maybe its that version i used or my machine?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 09:22PM by guenter.

Re: Java Update 22
Date: October 17, 2010 07:09AM

Guenter, such option is not icluded in the installer. Siria googled this new generation plugin:

siria
I've never installed java either, so can not test myself, only quote what others say tongue sticking out smiley Googled around a bit and found this on the web, looks like there's an own setting to disable that buggy "new generation" option:

Start
Control Panel
Java Control Panel
Advance tab
Java Plug-in entry

If I remember right someone wrote that didn't help him to remove it from Opera. Anyone can tell if it would help in KM...?

I'll test update 22 under 7 later and post results.

Date: October 17, 2010 10:02AM

Thx Matt for pointing me to siria's posting - I overread it / did not understand it well enough to comprehend it. Since I have never seen the English nomenclature of system names. They neglected to teach me these terms pre-emptively in school and at university 30 years ago. grinning smiley

I confirm the facts - but You have to switch that off later (it is installed by default) sad smiley

Deutsch (German)

Man kann das Java Plugin der nächsten Generation deaktivieren

Start
Systemsteuerung
Java
Control Panel
Erweitert
Java-Plug-In
Häkchen Java-Plug-In der nächsten Generation aktivieren entfernen (erfordert Neustart des PC)

p.s. Ich liebe versteckte Optionen und Plunins, die einem untergesteckt werden, und die man mühsam suchen oder gar googlen muß, nur damit man sie unter Neustart des PC wieder deaktivieren kann. Ich bin immer völlig begeistert, wenn ich finde, dass Herr Gates oder andere PC-Gurus mir wieder ein solches Geschenk bereitet haben. sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 10:03AM by guenter.

Date: October 17, 2010 11:51AM

Matt
siria

Start
Control Panel
Java Control Panel
Advance tab
Java Plug-in entry

I'll test update 22 under 7 later and post results.

I disabled second generation plugin, restarted my PC (XP pro SP3) and tested the results for my system.

No, it does not help for K-Meleon 1.5.4 to disable the npjp2.dll plugin in the Java 6.22 update.

That is the score for my system anyway.

To prevent the error for K-Meleon 1.5. and earlier the file npoji610.dll (Java(TM) Virtual Machine for Netscape and Mozilla) is needed in the ./K-Meleon/plugin folder.

Else the file npjp2.dll must be deleted.

But Opera's problem with npjp2.dll seems fixed in Java 6.22 update.

It does not matter for Opera whether the plugin is deactivated or not.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 12:06PM by guenter.

Date: October 17, 2010 04:31PM

Still trying to get more 'Durchblick' with that plugins puzzle :cool:
So this npjp2 seems some sort of "extended version" of the still contained "classic version", which is automatically used in FF2, and doesn't sound like Sun targets any other browsers as IE and FF??

This is Sun's description of that infamous "Next Generation" plugin "npjp2":
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/6u10faq.jsp#NewPlugIn

That's quite interesting too, dating from 2008:
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21276364-Java-Runtime-Environment-JRE-6-Update-10-October-16-200~start=100

There is no "vulnerability" in the auto update feature. Some people complained that auto update does not remove old versions of Java, leaving previous vulnerable versions on your machine and you have to manually uninstall them.
I too had a problem running an applet after installing version 6u10. The problem was in the Next generation plugin. This can be disabled in the Java control Panel.

And April 2009:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1178475&p=6164205

That just sounds all like Java update installations now keep old versions too and lets the applets choose to use one of those old versions, instead of the new one which supposedly is backwards compatible...? And this function is provided by that npjp2.dll? And perhaps gives errors if a user has manually deleted old java versions...? And if that buggy npjp2 isn't found, or if the "classic version" plugin is copied into the KM plugins folder, the browser always simply uses the latest "classic" java version??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 04:32PM by siria.

Date: October 17, 2010 04:44PM

To me it looks like Java 6_22 un-installed both 6_13 and 6_14 on this machine here. :s:O

& that "Next Generation" plugin "npjp2" continues to crash 1.5.4 here when it is deactivated. :mad:

While You can argue about the merit of the former the later is an outright bug.

p.s. siria, 6_22 hat tabula rasa mit allen noch installierten Vorversionen gemacht!

Da möchte ich normal gefragt werden; Das ist genau der Schlauberger Scheiß, der nicht passieren darf: ungefragt funzende Software mit halb Ausgegegorenem ersetzen! :mad:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 04:56PM by guenter.

Posted by: Claracc
Date: October 17, 2010 04:57PM

A Java Update 22 hack:

Get npjpi160_22.dll and npoji610.dll from

./program files/Java/jre6/bin

and copy them to

./program files/K-Meleon/plugins

This way they get precedence over C:\Programme\Java\jre6\bin\new_plugin\npjp2.dll

That is the plugin that raises the error.

Thanks, it works like a charm (K meleon 1.5.4, win xp sp3)

Posted by: jmillar
Date: October 17, 2010 06:01PM

Yep, I confirm that. It's a Java 22 install with Km 1.6a4cp4. No older version of Java is present.

Date: October 17, 2010 06:09PM

Good news! JRE U22 seems to work also under 7 K-M 1.6 preBeta and this new gen plugin does not prompt that infamous error.

dll-files in my \plugins folder:

npjp2.dll
npjpi160_22.dll
npoji610.dll

Under K-M 1.5.4 i get this error message when npjp2.dll is in \plugins. Deleting this dll fixes the problem and Java works fine then.

Conclusion: Sun must have screwed JRE U21 :mad:

PS schöne Farbholzschnitte, guenter smiling smiley

Date: October 17, 2010 07:16PM

Okay guys, do I get this right, that this error happens only in KM1.5x...?
How about KM1.6, does it also work with NO copied plugins at all, despite npjp2 still in java folder?
And KM1.5x, can you confirm that only the npoji610.dll is needed to copy over, nothing else, and npjp2 can still be in the java folder...?

Date: October 17, 2010 08:23PM

siria

How about KM1.6, does it also work with NO copied plugins at all, despite npjp2 still in java folder?

And KM1.5x, can you confirm that only the npoji610.dll is needed to copy over, nothing else, and npjp2 can still be in the java folder...?

1.) Yes, it happens with the old GRE 1.8 or earlier (I tested on several Mozilla GRE based browsers! It happens even when You spoof FF 3.5 Agent string!).

2.) 1.6 works out of the box with 6_22, nothing to do (like several other Mozilla GRE [1.9 or higher] based browsers). I noticed that no spoofing was needed - only after a while. grinning smiley

3.) Exactly that is what I (& ndbord before me) found on our systems. Copying the files helps. ndbord used the 3 files that he always uses. I started with two files (that I always used to force a particular Java version). & I tested till I knew which one was really needed here. smiling smiley

I confirm, I copied npoji610.dll to the 1.5s plugins dirs and did nothing for the 1.6s.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 17, 2010 11:58PM

guenter
siria

1.) Yes, it happens with the old GRE 1.8 or earlier (I tested on several Mozilla GRE based browsers! It happens even when You spoof FF 3.5 Agent string!).

2.) 1.6 works out of the box with 6_22, nothing to do (like several other Mozilla GRE [1.9 or higher] based browsers). I noticed that no spoofing was needed - only after a while. grinning smiley

3.) Exactly that is what I (& ndbord before me) found on our systems. Copying the files helps. ndbord used the 3 files that he always uses. I started with two files (that I always used to force a particular Java version). & I tested till I knew which one was really needed here. smiling smiley

I confirm, I copied npoji610.dll to the 1.5s plugins dirs and did nothing for the 1.6s.

Guenter & Siria,

Guenter was correct.... not the 3 files I originally copied over, only these 2.

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\plugins\

C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\plugins\npjpi160_22.dll
C:\Program Files\K-Meleon\plugins\npoji610.dll

KM 1.5.4 XP PRO SP3

N

Date: October 18, 2010 12:15AM

Not sure about npjpi160_22.dll. The older visual java applets on my home page only needed npoji610.dll. A neet thing to find anyway since none at Sun/Oracle will bother to fix it just for K-Meleon 1.5 smiling smiley

Date: October 18, 2010 12:27AM

guenter
Not sure about npjpi160_22.dll. The older visual java applets on my home page only needed npoji610.dll. A neet thing to find anyway since none at Sun/Oracle will bother to fix it just for K-Meleon 1.5 smiling smiley

Guenter,

Sounds good to me. I'm just happy it works!

N

Date: October 18, 2010 12:36AM

Neet that Rockspecht found and posted that the source of the problem was the new plugin, npjp2.dll. After that a way could be sorted out. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 07:37AM by guenter.

Date: October 18, 2010 02:39AM

Guenter,

Yup,as you say:

guenter

Just the one file is needed.

N

Posted by: Victor Fernandez
Date: October 26, 2010 06:49PM

thanks for the solution, replace it by the java dll was the only solution for me to play yahoo chess again.

Thanks a lot!

Venezuela

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.