General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Adobe Flash Player
Posted by: Mister M
Date: July 24, 2010 11:04PM

Hello. I've been using 1.5.4 for a day now and I would like to ask a question regarding flash player.

Using IE7, my flash player is up to date.

In K-Meleon my flash version is very outdated. Does K-Meleon not use the already existing flash player on my system?

This is creating some confusion for me. Thanks for reading.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Adobe Flash Player
Posted by: ndebord
Date: July 25, 2010 12:17AM

The macro author disrupted will probably answer you in more detail, but the short answer is that KM has more than one way to use Flash. My personal favorite is this macro with the latest flash engine (the advantage is that you don't have those flash cookies that never go away saved somewhere deep in the sub-folder of your windows system folders.

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplug.htm

Flash Player 10.1.53.64

flash plugin version 10. please note this is a patched release npswf32.dll which enables embedded videos to be saved in your temp folder instead of deleting them after a video has finished playing; those videos will have a *.tmp extension. copy them from your temp folder to another folder and rename the extension from tmp to flv or mp4. patched dll courtesy of andy robinson from ferretsoft. see the flash video saver extension on network page on how to locate and save those tmp files.
formats: swf

http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/NPSWF32-10.1.53.64.zip

N

Date: July 25, 2010 12:31AM

Ok, well thanks for your detailed reply.

Perhaps I didn't properly phrase my initial enquiry.

I have the current version of flash player installed already on my system. I'm just curious, first, as to why (or how) flash player 9 is associated with K-Meleon (since I have flash player 10 on my system). The second issue is that I'm a little concerned about installing this program again overtop the existing one.

I'm not entirely sure that I'm being clear enough with this posting, but I'll await any responses.

Thanks.

Posted by: slayer
Date: July 25, 2010 12:54AM

There are two versions of Flash, one for IE and another one for the other browsers around. Inside the K-Meleon directory there is a folder called plugins, you can put the NPSWF32.dll in there. As stated above, is easier to download a patched version from here: http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/
This patched version will use the %TEMP% folder as the cache.
Path and filename:
K-MELEON\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

Posted by: disrupted
Date: July 25, 2010 01:03AM

internet explorer and other non-ie based browsers like kmeleon or firefox or safari etc use different flash plugin versions due to the architecture of plugins which are required for ie or ole based applications.

you have previously installed the netscape-type flash 9 plugin which is what kmeleon has detected and is using..while ie uses a different ocx plugin which will not be detected by kmeleon etc.

so..if you do install the flash plugin supported by kmeleon from adobe's website, it will not overwrite or affect the ocx plugin used by ie in anyway..think of them as 2 different applications.

since kmeleon can read plugins directly that are saved in its plugins folder, you do not really need to install the universal flash plugin and just extract the plugin in the link by ndeboard to kmeleon\plugins folder and simply restart the browser.

if you prefer you can download the whole flash setup for non-ie browsers..both methods will achieve the same result, the standalone plugin version saved directly to kmeleon\plugins folder has its advantages as ndeboard has noted..the disadvantage is that np-swf32.dll will only be used by kmeleon and any other non-ie based browsers(like safari etc) will not be able to detect that plugin

Date: July 25, 2010 01:13AM

slayer
There are two versions of Flash, one for IE and another one for the other browsers around. Inside the K-Meleon directory there is a folder called plugins, you can put the NPSWF32.dll in there. As stated above, is easier to download a patched version from here: http://kmext.sourceforge.net/mplugs/
This patched version will use the %TEMP% folder as the cache.
Path and filename:
K-MELEON\plugins\NPSWF32.dll

disrupted
internet explorer and other non-ie based browsers like kmeleon or firefox or safari etc use different flash plugin versions due to the architecture of plugins which are required for ie or ole based applications.

you have previously installed the netscape-type flash 9 plugin which is what kmeleon has detected and is using..while ie uses a different ocx plugin which will not be detected by kmeleon etc.

so..if you do install the flash plugin supported by kmeleon from adobe's website, it will not overwrite or affect the ocx plugin used by ie in anyway..think of them as 2 different applications.

since kmeleon can read plugins directly that are saved in its plugins folder, you do not really need to install the universal flash plugin and just extract the plugin in the link by ndeboard to kmeleon\plugins folder and simply restart the browser.

if you prefer you can download the whole flash setup for non-ie browsers..both methods will achieve the same result, the standalone plugin version saved directly to kmeleon\plugins folder has its advantages as ndeboard has noted..the disadvantage is that np-swf32.dll will only be used by kmeleon and any other non-ie based browsers(like safari etc) will not be able to detect that plugin

slayer & disrupted, thank you both for the detailed explanations and the time you spent to post them. It is much appreciated, I can assure you. I'm very close to completely migrating to K-Meleon.

All the best. Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 01:39AM by Mister M.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.