General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
running multiple versions simultaneously
Posted by: Anon
Date: July 30, 2010 04:03AM

Is it possible to run multiple verions of K-Meleon simultaneously? I have both 1.53 and 1.54 .7z packages, however when I have 1.53 open and try to run 1.54 it just opens another window of 1.53. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: running multiple versions simultaneously
Posted by: siria
Date: July 30, 2010 07:55AM

Yes, I do that often. The independant instance must be started with "k-meleon.exe -new" in the commandline, e.g. in a link or a second taskbar icon. The two instances can be the same or different versions of KM, but it must NOT be shared the same profile folder simultaneously.
Command line options: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/CommandLineOptions

What I do is use all my KMs as portable versions, with their profile folders inside (portable = create an empty file "profile.ini" in the programs/KM folder). Being a big fan of my personal settings, I copy the contents over from one profile folder to the other. For KM15x versions no prob, but keep in mind KM16+KM15 are a bit different, especially the old "tab bar at bottom" setting wreaks havoc on KM16. It has a new one.

But if you're investigating bugs it would be important to use the default settings, and of course try with the K-Meleon 1.6-alpha version, lots of "bugs" in KM15x are already "fixed" there (incl. those in the gecko-1.8 -> gecko-1.9 engine):
KM1.6 alpha: http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleon16
(If there are start problems, that VS2005-redestributable thing must be installed, it's just a link to Microsoft)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2010 08:03AM by siria.

Re: running multiple versions simultaneously
Posted by: Anon
Date: July 30, 2010 06:30PM

Siria: Many thanks for the great info. Currently I think my profile is shared, as I never created a blank profile.ini file.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.