An unhandled win32 exception Error on K-Meleon.EXE
Date: August 14, 2010 12:33AM

HI All:
Ckicking on K-Meleon.EXE displays VisualStudio Just-In-Time Debug dialog
box saying [An unhandled win32 exception occurred in K-Meleon.exe (3340)].
It displays different number each time you click it.

I am running windows Xp with Service Pack 2.
I have tried to reinstall K-Meleon but it did not help.

Please help, I want my K-meleon back.
Thank you.

Re: An unhandled win32 exception Error on K-Meleon.EXE
Posted by: desga2
Date: August 14, 2010 10:44AM

What K-Meleon version are you using?
Where do you downloaded it?
Are you try to reinstall K-Meleon?
This seems a corrupted installation or some library lost.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: August 14, 2010 11:05AM

All this started when I upgraded to version 1.5.4 which ran after the upgrade.

I have tried uninstalling and installing again with version 1.5.4 or 1.5.3 but still no luck. I currently have version 1.5.3 in the pc.

Thank you.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: August 14, 2010 11:51AM

I am having the same problem on one of my computers. I have a clean install of XP - SP2. I wanted to put KM on the unit and make it the default. My fuzzy memory tells me there was some post that the 'set default' worked better in SP2 than SP3.

I first got an error about one of the ? 71.dll file. I then found in one of Fred's post that I might need the following files.

msvcp71.dll
msvcr71.dll
mfc71u.dll

I copied those files from this computer and put them in 'windows\system32'. Then to be sure, I also put them in KM's root folder.

That helped, because the error message about one of the 71.dll files is gone, but I still get an error message and KM does not start.

There must be more dll files needed to start KM. Does anyone have a list of the required dlls?

Posted by: slayer
Date: August 14, 2010 03:13PM

Maybe you could try dependencywalker, it will list all the modules related to the Exe file you open with it.
Then post here if you have found a file missing to know which file is, and to get help from the members of this forum. Do not overwrite any file.

Date: August 14, 2010 03:42PM

I do not get error on any dll. The error I gey open (Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debug) dialog box that says (Unhandled win32 exception occurred in K-Meleon.exe[3248]).
And you have the option to start VS debug app by clicking Yes or No.

Date: August 14, 2010 03:46PM

Could there be a virus attacking K-Meleon?
Every othet browser in my PC runs just fine.

Also, what have K-Meleon got to do with Visual Studio directly?
That on failing it opens VS debug app.
Just wondering.

Date: August 14, 2010 05:01PM

Sounds like our errors are a little different. I don't think my box has a virus. It has a fresh install of XP over a low level format and I have Avast updating and running scans. I have done no surfing because it only has IE and I don't like that at all.

I have gotten dependencywalker and I will give it a try.

Did you install KM from the exe file or a 7z file. I used the 7z method. It is the same 7z file that I have used before without any problems. The problem must be someing different or missing on the computer on which I am trying to install KM.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 14, 2010 06:26PM

I'd suspect the problem was some uninstallation, not necessarily of KM even, perhaps some other prog that removed dll files??

James, IIRC you're using only KM16, is this also what you have the problem with..? If yes, that version uses not the 71 dlls but it needs three 80ies. The third I actually did figure out some time ago with Dependency Walker, after that new VSredist refused to install on win98 grinning smiley (It's somewhere in the KM16-win98 thread...)

Link is also on the KM16-page:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KMeleon16
there is a link to Microsoft, where to get those "VS redistributables", if they aren't yet on the system. This is how Microsoft describes it: "The Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2005 installed." Actually it may already help to just copy the three dll-files, since on my win98 the "installation" of that VS thing failed with error. KM did show some "obscure visual" messages too when first trying to start, nothing helpful. Anyway, still KM now runs fine with just those dlls copied into its root folder grinning smiley

For older KM versions it was the same thing, just an older version of that "visual" stuff. There are some notes shattered over the KM website and forum and wiki... E.g. in Help>FAQ - System requirements:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/faq.php#requirements
And on the "unofficial" version page:
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/UKmeleon

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 06:31PM by siria.

Date: August 14, 2010 10:05PM

Dependency Walker shows DWMAPI.dll as missing. Funny thing, it is not on my desktop computer either and KM runs there just fine. I did find this out on the net. http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vclanguage/thread/bc7a7414-6564-40bb-b8d2-af86345f2bc2/

I did install the Visual C++ 2005 item. It made no change.

Both computers are running IE7. I used the same 7z file for KM on each computer.

Posted by: slayer
Date: August 14, 2010 10:45PM

No all the call to DLLs are made at startup (not sure, is my opinion), so probably the missing dll you have is for something you don't need.

Date: August 14, 2010 10:53PM

When all else fails, destroy any assumptions, and try again.

I took the KM version that desga2 has published for working on the preference panels and used 7z to put it on the my test computer. It started just fine.

I wonder if the KM 1.5.4 file, which has been on my computer ever since it first became available, has had a byte go bad. I will download a new copy and try that.

Edit:

I used the cp2 version of KM to download a new KM 1.5.4 7z file onto my test computer. That copy worked just fine. That means the copy I had on the desktop is bad or the double transfer, to memory stick and to test computer, had something bad happen.

@ cagwu

Maybe you could try siria's plan about Visual Studio files and if that does not work, try a new download of KM.

I meant to use 't s e g g u S' (backwards) instead of Maybe, but the forum does not like that word or some part of it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2010 11:35PM by JamesD.

Date: August 14, 2010 11:30PM

@ cagwu@yahoo.com:
How do you update KM, can you explain it? used you 7z file over old instalation or do you make a new install?

K-Meleon in Spanish

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: August 14, 2010 11:32PM

cagwu@yahoo.com
I do not get error on any dll. The error I get open (Visual Studio Just-In-Time Debug) dialog box that says (Unhandled win32 exception occurred in K-Meleon.exe[3248]).
And you have the option to start VS debug app by clicking Yes or No.

I think the VS Just-In-Time debug software itself is causing problems with KM. Disable it or remove it from your XP system completely (do google searches on how to disable or remove/uninstall VS Just-In-Time Debug program).

Then set Dr. Watson on your XP system as the default debug program instead by opening a command window and typing "drwtsn32.exe -i".

Date: August 15, 2010 12:37AM

As for updating KM, I just download a new exe and install over existing one.

I will try disabling VS JIT debug, I will post the result after.

Thank you to all trying to find solution to this issue.

Date: August 21, 2010 02:42AM

My VS JIT debug was already disabled.

I pretty most a abandoned KM becuase I had no time to count DLLs required to in present.

I installed Firefox and was using it since last time I was in this forum.
Today, I tried KM again and it just started, just like that.

I'm still not sure what changed but its working now.

This is not a solution but I just thought I should report it.
Thank you.

Posted by: siria
Date: August 21, 2010 08:55AM

Oh, cool smiling smiley
Sounds like one of your uninstallations had removed a needed dll, and one of the installations (firefox??) has installed it again...

Date: August 22, 2010 03:00PM

I usually used in Windows the method of the 2R's:
1) Restart, and try again.
2) Reinstall, and try again.

This solved the 80% of the problems in Windows applications. grinning smiley

K-Meleon in Spanish

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.