General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Happy Tenth Birthday K-Meleon!
Posted by: Daveski17
Date: August 21, 2010 06:45PM

Apparently K-Meleon is 10 today (21/08/2010).

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Happy Tenth Birthday K-Meleon!
Posted by: Doon
Date: August 23, 2010 06:54AM

Hey, neat, Daveski.

To be honest, with all of the German brainpower behind the project in recent years I wouldn't mind if it got renamed to K-Mäleon. I'm also for calling someone who has more than ten versions of the browser a K-Meleonaire. ;-)

I've used K-Meleon less than a year but I was amused when I found out (while digging through the forum) that it was named in the style of K-Jöfol, a unique and ground breaking audio player I used a lot in the late 90's (back when I thought that .VQF would win out over .MP3). K-Jöfol was developed by the same person/people as the original K-Meleon. See: http://nunzioweb.com/k-jofol

Posted by: Daveski17
Date: August 23, 2010 02:58PM

That's very interesting. It's nice to see KM still going strong after a decade!

K-Meleon ~ Not a Melon!

Posted by: disrupted
Date: August 23, 2010 07:16PM

nice link doon but some of the info there isn't entirely precise

christophe did use new code in skinning http://kmext.sf.net/media/kjofoltutorial.pdf but the people who actually pioneered 'freeform' for media players were a couple of students at montana state university behind the vibe mp3 player. vibe was quite raw and the decoding quality was poor but the skinning sdk was amazing by then time standards.

k-jofol had legal troubles with yamaha over the use of the vqf engine
http://kmext.sf.net/media/yamahaLetter.txt
-which is probably the reason why vqf couldn't takeover the mp3 format since yamaha inc was ridiculously protective of their format and the decoding engine.. eventually the disputes led christophe to abandon the project and join justin frankel(nullsoft/winamp) to develop better skinning.. on the other side, londoner tony million the author of nad player- which had the best decoding engine at that time- joined forces with the vibe team, sold the nad code to dimension music http://www.dmusic.com and sonique was born.

even though sonique was less popular than winamp; it was light years ahead with its mp3 engine(nad) and skinning/ui qualities(vide) and it become quite successful. sonique was soon bought by lycos which hired the entire team and they all moved to sf but few years after-probably due to financial strains- lycos sacked many of them which is allegedly the reason for the famous sonique 2 source code leak by one of the enraged developers. soon after the project died, lycos fired everyone and sonique 2 was never officially released

million returned to london, decided to quit programming, travel the world and become a photographer but luckily few years ago, he started writing tuniac where much of the orginal sonique engine still lives
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tuniac/

the tuniac/sonique/nad engine is still regarded as one of the best and used in other applications like the next generation musikcube

Date: August 24, 2010 01:54AM

Daveski17
It's nice to see KM still going strong after a decade!

Yep! K-Meleon ~ Not a Lemon!

Many thanks to all of the people here who have done and continue to do so much. (I've dug through the forum archives extensively and have come to realize there are a lot of 'graybeards' around here who have done more than many might realize.)

And thanks, disrupted, that was pretty much all news to me, and interesting, and disgusting (vqf).

Posted by: caktus
Date: August 24, 2010 02:29PM

Oh, yeah!

Happy Birthday K-meleon. And thank you to all you folks who work so hard to make K-meleon, the only browser that doesn't hold me hostage to a lot of crap I don't want.

BTW, this Birthday Greeting is not for this last birthday but rather the next Birthday in case I miss that one too.grinning smiley

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Posted by: 'doon
Date: August 25, 2010 02:31AM

"i only eat fish"

aka: The "I'm not a developer" developer interviews. ;-)

Posted by: Ravi
Date: August 25, 2010 07:19AM

Can't believe it's been around for so long Makes me feel Old or maybe I am smiling smiley. I discovered K meleon after being severly dissapointed with FireFox 1.0. It's been on my home desktop for at least 8 years.
And thank disrupted for the story on Sonique. I waited a long time for Sonique 2 to come out. Moved between many MP3 players till I discovered foobar2000.
Happy Birthday Kmeleon.

Posted by: mhf
Date: August 25, 2010 10:25AM

Yes, happy birthday KM and big thanks to all that have and do and will contribute to the best browser around.

Posted by: albertna
Date: August 29, 2010 02:23AM

Yes, happy birthday KM and many thanks to you all for upkeeping the fastest browser.

Posted by: km2
Date: August 29, 2010 10:30AM

albertna
the fastest browser
Absolute truth.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY K-Meleon!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!
!!!!!!
!!!!!
!!!!
!!!
!!
!

Posted by: slayer
Date: August 29, 2010 11:13PM

'doon
"i only eat fish"

aka: The "I'm not a developer" developer interviews. ;-)
Thanks for the link. grinning smiley

Posted by: siria
Date: August 30, 2010 08:23PM

LOL! Yep, thanx, interesting to read :cool:
But it's really a bit odd to talk about developers and then ask everyone *except* the main developers grinning smiley Perhaps he should have used another wording...

Posted by: guenter
Date: August 30, 2010 10:48PM

siria
But it's really a bit odd to talk about developers and then ask everyone *except* the main developers grinning smiley Perhaps he should have used another wording...

Why lol?:O

Of the recently active ppl only Dorian and kko are currently listed on SF as developers, so I do not know what is technically wrong with the answers.

IMHO only trained persons can be named as developers.
But it is all users duty to support the devs and help other users (provided they have some time and skill - and many do this via this forum).

AFAIK Alex asked all recently active contributors of whom he knew a current mail@.
He published his feedback.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 11:07PM by guenter.

Posted by: slayer
Date: August 30, 2010 11:05PM

The fish part is funny.
Anyway, translators are part of the development team. I mean they work is part of the KM distribution. Doesn't it?

Posted by: siria
Date: August 30, 2010 11:06PM

guenter
Why lol? :O
Because of doons funny way to put it grinning smiley

guenter
Of the recently active ppl only Dorian and kko are currently listed on SF as developers, so I do not know what is technically wrong with the answers.
Just that he talks about developers but the answers of the two developers are missing tongue sticking out smiley (if he even asked them, what I doubt)

guenter
AFAIK Alex asked all recently active contributors he knew with mail.
Ah, exactly, THAT is the "wording" I meant, but didn't remember it! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 11:08PM by siria.

Date: August 30, 2010 11:16PM

Alex question was asked via an informal mail list (addresses where You can send info).
By experience I know that You do not always reach and get answers from all.

You get mail when someone thinks You need to know this or that and You can answer if You want.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2010 11:21PM by guenter.

Date: August 31, 2010 08:15AM

The fish comment amused me (it seems like something the k-meloen logo/mascot might say) and I also thought it was funny to see at least two of the fine folks interviewed say "I'm not a developer" (out of respect for the main developers), thus my light-hearted way of introducing the link. I meant no disrespect to Alex.Tarantul of course, and in fact he noted that more interviews may appear later. I thought other users here would enjoy the link (if they bothered to read it) and it seemed to fit into the context of a decade with k-meleon. Cheers!

tech note: fyi, the apostrophe in the quote code above is what destroyed the quote ('doon).

Greetings to Hanover from where I sit. ;-)

Now back to the original topic... appreciating all of the k-meleonites who are still carrying the torch.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 31, 2010 02:40PM

guenter
siria

Why lol?:O

IMHO only trained persons can be named as developers.
But it is all users duty to support the devs and help other users (provided they have some time and skill - and many do this via this forum).

AFAIK Alex asked all recently active contributors of whom he knew a current mail@.

Guenter,

It has always been this way... the main developer and the macro guy... if one were to get into naming names, the list would be way too long! Which is precisely KM's strength: sense of community and shared accomplishment. People just show up at the right time when needed and "stuff" gets done. More than half the fun is the forum, imo.

N

Date: September 01, 2010 06:30PM

Doon
I meant no disrespect to Alex.Tarantul of course,

and in fact he noted that more interviews may appear later.

I did not mean to say You or any did.

I reported difficulties with mail communication in these days of spam defences killing mail.

? Some contributors with spare time answered. Devs are often laconic (at best).smiling smiley

p.s. I rather have coding devs even when they are laconic or less grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2010 07:10PM by guenter.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.