General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Key command for newbie please
Posted by: Mtestlab
Date: August 23, 2010 04:12AM

Is there a way for me to make a custom key command to call up my cookies so I can delete them without going tools->privacy->view data->View Cookies?

Something like View History key command: Ctrl+H etc.

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Key command for newbie please
Posted by: Doon
Date: August 23, 2010 06:34AM

Yes.

What follows is an extract from THIS long and informative thread. ;-)

Doon

Creating your own accelerator hotkeys.

If you click Edit -- Configuration -- Accelerators in the K-Meleon menu a text file called "accel.cfg" should open up, which you can edit. If one doesn't open up you'll need to make a copy of the one in the "K-Meleon\defaults\profile" folder and place it in your active user folder, then it will open on command.

This "accel.cfg" is a version of the accelerator keys configuration file that you can add to without messing up the primary one that lives in the "K-Meleon\defaults\settings" folder.

On each line you can define some keys to launch a command. These lines are composed in three parts: the key or keys to be used, followed by an equals sign, followed by the name of a pre-defined Command ID or macro. See the "accel.cfg" in the "K-Meleon\defaults\settings" folder for examples.

You could add a simple line like this and then save the file:

CTRL ALT N = macros(Notepad)

Then, when the key combo Ctrl-Alt-N is pressed, Notepad will be launched, thanks to the macro described a moment ago.

Here's one using a Command ID:

CTRL ALT O = ID_OFFLINE

In this case the key combo Ctrl-Alt-O will toggle the Work Offline mode.

I'm making three-key combos using Ctrl and Alt because they're easy to remember and I've found there are not many already in use in the main accel.cfg. You must always check if an existing definition is already in use before making it your own, because you will override an existing one if you use the same keys (which is in fact a way of redefining all shorcut keys to your liking of course).

That's all there is to it.

Mtestlab, your 'accelerators' line would look something like this:

CTRL ALT C=ID_COOKIES_VIEWER

In that case, pressing Ctrl + Alt + C would open the cookies viewer, due to being linked to the proper command ID (in my case however, I have Ctrl-Alt-C set to launch my calculator). If you copy and paste the above line to your accel.cfg then restart the browser you will be good to go, but I also encourage you to read all about the browser customization possibilities in the thread I linked (there is mention of attaching extra cookie related functions to the privacy menu).

And always worth mentioning is desga2's massively useful K-Meleon Quick Guide (for usable commands): http://two.xthost.info/kmeleon/lizard/commands.html

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2010 01:54AM by Doon.

Date: August 25, 2010 04:40PM

Thanks! Worked like a charm. I had to reboot for changes to take effect. Perhaps that's due to me having ME and not an NT system. Much thanks!smiling smiley

Date: August 26, 2010 02:47AM

I'm glad that was helpful and I hope you considered picking your own shortcut keys after a peek at desga2's link up above. ;-)

And, if you had to reboot I'd guess that you're using KM's optional, problematic memory resident preloader thing (loader.exe) that starts with Windows. Which means you didn't have to reboot, you just had to shut down the loader somehow.

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/TutorialLoader

The K-Meleon Loader preloads portions of the K-Meleon browser and thus allows it to launch more quickly - especially on low-end hardware. Be aware that the K-Meleon browser keeps running as long as the K-Meleon Loader is running.

K-Meleon does not recognize changes in the menus, accelerators or plugins until the browser is exited. Because K-Meleon is pre-loaded into memory, any changes in the menus, accelerators or plugins will not be recognized until you completely close the browser and exit the loader.

I've never run it, not even once, and for speed sake I see no need for it even with my super low end pc, and based on my forum reading it seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2010 07:07AM by Doon.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: August 26, 2010 07:34AM

and for speed sake I see no need for it even with my super low end pc, and based on my forum reading it seems to cause more problems than it's worth.

Yep - full ack!

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Date: August 26, 2010 04:57PM

Ah yes, "Loader"! I've run comparisons with and without loader. With loader the browser is called up slightly faster. However I would like to know more about it and will check out the tutroial link you supply. Much thanks, I didn't know about it. I am a newbie at KM indeed!

Posted by: siria
Date: August 26, 2010 05:11PM

Regarding the Loader Wiki, it sounds all surprisingly current :cool:, just not sure about that reinstallation thing, anyone know?

If you do not check the box at that point, you will have to reinstall K-Meleon to enable the loader.

Date: August 26, 2010 11:37PM

Hehe, thanks Soeren.

As a rule it seems that if there is a KM icon in the tray then loader.exe is running, and right-clicking on it will bring up the option to close it:

Siria, the reinstallation thing in wiki/TutorialLoader jumped out at me too, the wording may be a simplistic way of avoiding instructions or support for configuring it manually (a 'beyond the scope of this document' sort of thing). Unless the installer adds registry keys that the loader.exe doesn't then all one needs to do is manually add loader.exe to the startup sequence, like with a shortcut in the startup folder.

As for being up do date (last changed on Sat Sep 16 17:31:10 2006), apparently not.
I just found this from a year ago from one of the primary KM developers:

Posted by: kko
Date: July 04, 2009 07:34PM

eDOC786
1. What’s the difference between Preload & Extreme………I mean in terms of system utilization like CPU etc…..my default page is blank…………what functions can extreme settings of autoloader affect?

Preload levels Fast, Faster and Extreme do all the same - they just preload the browser engine. Faster and Extreme originally did more, but that was a constant source of trouble (crashes) and was removed a couple of years ago.

Mtestlab, in light of your original request and claim to newbieness you might like to know there are other ways to clear cookies. The Cookie Viewer you requested allows you to view and selectively delete cookies, but if you want clear all cookies there is another command you could assign to some keys - the macro command invoked when you click Tools -> Privacy -> Clear Data -> Clear Cookies.

privacy(ClearCookies)

Used in a custom accelerators configuration it might look like this:

CTRL SHIFT C = privacy(ClearCookies)

(also worthy of note are the cookie options in the Privacy and Security section of the preferences)

Date: August 27, 2010 06:25PM

Doon
Mtestlab, in light of your original request and claim to newbieness you might like to know there are other ways to clear cookies. The Cookie Viewer you requested allows you to view and selectively delete cookies, but if you want clear all cookies there is another command you could assign to some keys - the macro command invoked when you click Tools -> Privacy -> Clear Data -> Clear Cookies.

privacy(ClearCookies)

Used in a custom accelerators configuration it might look like this:

CTRL SHIFT C = privacy(ClearCookies)

(also worthy of note are the cookie options in the Privacy and Security section of the preferences)

Thanks. Yes I did try that option but lost all of my speeddial links/thumbnails. Hence the need to be selective when deleting cookies. ANd as an aside, I'm not using Loader anymore since I was on the fence anyway.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.