General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Re: Chinese labeled bookmarks?
Posted by: Ed L.
Date: November 25, 2004 11:35PM

i checked firefox - it seems "autodetect" chinese is on. But this shouldnt affect anything - he can still visit sites like http://www.sina.com with "western" code on k-meleon.

Options: ReplyQuote
Chinese labeled bookmarks?
Date: November 25, 2004 11:37PM

My dad visits quite a lot of Chinese sites and he was using firefox, which has the correct characters in its bookmarks. Using k-meleon beta 2 i transferred his bookmarks over, but all the characters are now just question marks now. He can browse his sites fine - i dont have to change the encoding - but what should i do for the bookmarks?

Posted by: rmn
Date: November 26, 2004 07:58AM

I have a feeling that it's Windows-dependent. How does IE display it (if you place the site in your Favorites)?

Posted by: Andrew
Date: November 26, 2004 04:28PM

This might be an issue with the bookmarks plugin. Can you provide some example sites that when bookmarked have characters not displaying properly in the bookmarks?

Date: November 26, 2004 10:29PM

Ok...this is an example site...
http://www.singtao.com

Upon opening with Firefox or IE one sees three boxes and then Sing Tao, or with K-meleon, three question marks and then Sing Tao in the title bar.

With IE saving it to favorites, the three boxes still appear in the bookmark name.

With Firefox saving it to the bookmarks the boxes have been transformed to the correct Chinese Characters.

With K-meleon, the three question marks still appear in the bookmark name.

Date: November 27, 2004 03:45AM

Ed,

Thanks. We'll look into that.

Date: November 27, 2004 04:33AM

Ed,

My best guess is that the core K-Meleon code doesn't support the Chinese characters in the browse title. When the Bookmarks plugin grabs the title, it's grabbing it from there so it is merely inserting the incorrect characters. You could try playing around with the encoding settings but I'm not sure it would fix it.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.