General discussion about K-Meleon 
New Adobe PDF zero-day attack
Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 08, 2010 08:17PM
Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Adobe PDF zero-day attack
Posted by: jmillar
Date: September 10, 2010 10:44PM

And an extremely serious one indeed. Adobe is starting to look like a bit of a joke. Every fortnight on average a critical vulnerability appears. While they fix this one try Foxit or other PDF readers.

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: September 20, 2010 07:46PM

Adobe had published a security advisory on the new Adobe PDF 0-day flaw almost 2 weeks ago:
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa10-02.html

Adobe is expected to release patches for the PDF zero-day flaw in early October.

Posted by: caktus
Date: September 21, 2010 01:53PM

Use Foxit.

Charlie

~~If it ain't broke, why screw it up?~~

Date: October 06, 2010 11:11PM

or sumatra pdf - even faster than foxit reader

btw, Adobe released Acrobat Reader 9.4 and the Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.2.5 here:
http://www.adobe.com/support/security/bulletins/apsb10-21.html

Posted by: panzer
Date: October 07, 2010 08:50AM

http://www.soraxsoft.com/index.html

http://www.tracker-software.com/product/pdf-xchange-viewer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 08:52AM by panzer.

Date: October 07, 2010 04:47PM

ah, excellent choices, panzer.

Date: October 08, 2010 12:05AM

caktus
Use Foxit.

foxit reader recently vulnerable to the new PDF 0day flaw, caktus.
but at least foxit offered a fix for it.

Posted by: ndebord
Date: October 08, 2010 12:22AM

4td8s
caktus
Use Foxit.

foxit reader recently vulnerable to the new PDF 0day flaw, caktus.
but at least foxit offered a fix for it.

4td8s,

As you say, FoxIt was quick with a bug fix:

Foxit Reader v4.2.0.0928

N

Posted by: snuz2
Date: October 16, 2010 03:58AM

i would like to try sumatra on W98, anyone know the last version to work W98? siriagrinning smiley???

Re: New Adobe PDF zero-day attack / Sumatra
Posted by: siria
Date: October 16, 2010 12:04PM

I use the latest Sumatra version, v1.1, without any problems and without KEX compatibility needed ;-)

Seems a lie to me that it wouldn't work in win98 tongue sticking out smiley My impression is that every app that uses unicode claims that it wouldn't run on win9x anymore, while in reality Microsoft released unicode support for win9x already some 9 years ago, via windows update! Why don't they also claim that a program wouldn't run "on XP" at all, just because it may not run on the very first original XP release anymore, and may need some updates?! Grmpf...

Oh well. No idea if that's the reason for sumatra too, but anyway, it's the most simple proggie one could imagine: just unzip it, there's 1 exe of 1.7MB, and that's already the whole program, no "installation" needed! smiling smiley

It IS extremely basic, that's true, but since the latest version I haven't gotten any error messages anymore for any pdf's :cool:

By the way "PDF XChange Viewer" is just great for commenting, love it. Seems to work in win9x too (with latest KernelEx), but sometimes freezes after awhile, probably lack of ressources again, so Sumatra stays my default viewer. And the clipboard doesn't work yet in XCViewer, and pdf export-conversion to image formats like gif and png crashes, I suspect that could be related to the clipboard prob too.
Ah yes, and first thing I did was to rename their "SearchProviders" folder :cool:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 12:12PM by siria.

Posted by: Matt
Date: October 17, 2010 07:16AM

Siria, standalone 650KB Cool PDF Reader http://www.pdf2exe.com/reader.html is... cool, too :cool:. Mayby it works under win98 without KernelEx?

Posted by: siria
Date: October 17, 2010 02:09PM

Forgot to mention the two big drawbacks of Sumatra:
It doesn't display any pdf comments, nor give a hint if there are any at all.
And it only shows very few pdf properties, not even the security settings of a document.

"Cool PDF reader", yes it's extremely tiny and basically I love tiny, but oh well... When I first tried that thing two years ago, it was full with bugs, and also the reviews on the web were horrible. At the time I was researching for a html-to-pdf printer or html-to-image converter. And when I tried again a newer version one year ago, it gave only an error at start and didn't work. So I gave it another chance now, but still no go in win98: When opening it there's an "access violation" in its own exe, although afterwards it opens. But when trying to open a pdf file, it still stops with that error and shows nothing. That is with latest KernelEX 4.5RC4, otherwise it wouldn't even start. Tried different compatibility settings, but same result for all. For now...

There are just some apps that you try and go "WHOW!!" every two minutes (XCViewer, except for resources on win98), and others where you go "What a...!" all the time (CoolPDF on win98, or NitroPDF PRO on XP in job) ;-) Sumatra is somewhere in the middle - at least it works for quickly viewing simple pdf's and needs little resources, but it doesn't exactly knock you off the chair - still some basic features missing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 02:12PM by siria.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: October 19, 2010 04:16AM

i "installed" sumatra, but it needed kex on my system. but i like it even better than foxit so far. however, it is also memory hog, but at least it releases memory when you zoom out. thanks for the warning on comments.

Date: November 09, 2010 10:12AM

I like pdf xchange viewer just because you can change the colors of backround and text in the file. Sumatra and Foxit doesn't (if I looked correctly) have this feature.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 10:13AM by panzer.

Date: November 09, 2010 04:30PM

siria
I use the latest Sumatra version, v1.1, without any problems and without KEX compatibility needed ;-)

Seems a lie to me that it wouldn't work in win98 tongue sticking out smiley My impression is that every app that uses unicode claims that it wouldn't run on win9x anymore, while in reality Microsoft released unicode support for win9x already some 9 years ago, via windows update! Why don't they also claim that a program wouldn't run "on XP" at all, just because it may not run on the very first original XP release anymore, and may need some updates?! Grmpf...

Sumatra PDF does work under a normal Win9x/ME system BUT you won't get a menu bar. I know from experience. If you install KernelEx under Win98/ME and then install/run Sumatra PDF, you will get a menu bar in the Sumatra PDF program.
Sumatra's creator doesn't officially support Win9x/ME OSes anymore, siria. read the fine print. issue also brought up in the Sumatra forum.

For PDF-Xchange Viewer, that program usually requires a minimum of Win2000.

And according to this recent Adobe Security Advisory (APSA10-05), Adobe is expected to release new patches for Acrobat and Acrobat Reader on the week of November 15.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2010 04:35PM by 4td8s.

Date: November 11, 2010 10:16AM
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 11, 2010 11:17AM
Date: November 12, 2010 09:04AM