General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Media Player integration
Posted by: Rod
Date: December 23, 2004 09:08AM

This one still annoys me:

Following the instructions here:

http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/docs/pluginfiles.php

I tried to integrate Window$ Media Player in K-Meleon, without succes. I got it working in v0.82, it didn't work in the Wechselbalg version, and I can't get it to work in my current version: the 0.9beta4 version.
Mediaplayer version installed is good old 6.4, my OS is win 98SE.
For example, I would like to watch this movie-trailer:

http://www.motorcyclediariesmovie.com/trailer.php?ext=wmv&sSize=small&lang=en

but for some reason I can't. Anyone got an idea how to fix this ?
Any help and/or comments are appreciated.

Rod

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Media Player integration
Posted by: jsnj
Date: December 23, 2004 09:27AM

Hmm...kinda looks boring to me :-). Might just be a bad trailer though. Look for these 2 files on your PC and if found, put them in your plugins folder(not kplugins)

npwmsdrm.dll
npdsplay.dll

Posted by: jsnj
Date: December 23, 2004 09:28AM

More specifically, copy them to your plugins folder.

Date: December 23, 2004 09:39AM

Thanks jsnj,

But no succes so far. They are already there (as is npds.zip), and they are also in my Mediaplayer folder.
The link I gave is just an example, I'm not able to watch any video in K-Meleon.
BTW, the about:plugins shows the installation is fine.
Any other ideas ?

Rod

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 23, 2004 02:42PM
Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: December 24, 2004 01:35AM

Gee... trailer worked fine for me. Came up in the page, was nice and clear, brilliant colours, etc. I'm in 0.9b3 second revision I believe. (Not the December 7th one that was removed because it had so many bugs.)

But I have one set standard plugin directory where I have just about everything installed that I can blimey-well think of and I keep it updated, that I copy around to ALL of my Gecko installs. Then I used the Wechselbalg mimeTypes preferences to set everything that I could think of and that mimeTypes.rdf gets distributed to every Gecko-based browser, and in this way I've never encountered any problems with anything. smiling smiley

I doubt that helped at all?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
http://eyesonly.no-ip.info/jimmymac/

Date: December 24, 2004 01:25PM

@guenter: Thank you for that link. The registrykey mentioned there is not even present in my registry. So I decided to download the WMP 9 setup. I wouldn't install, because of "some other install is not finished, you must finish it before..etc.."
Rebooting didn't help. Guess my Mediaplayer is corrupted.

@Eyes-Only: I read some reviews and they weren't very positive about the movie, so I can live without the trailer, but still would like to view trailers or other videos.
I also use the Wechselbalg mimeTypes.rdf. And if I get it to work, I will follow you advice and back my settings up to copy to every new install I use.
But so far I can't get it to work and it seems to be more of a Media Player problem than a K-Meleon problem.

I'll search elsewhere to fix this WMP-issue.
One more question here:
Is it possible to play videostreams (like the example I gave) with something else than WMP in K-Meleon ? Something like Media Player Classic ?

regards, Rod

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: December 24, 2004 08:21PM

Hi Rod smiling smiley

You know, now that I think of it Rod that was something I'd never considered when I wrote the above. LOL! It wasn't WMP as for my system it's buggy as all get-up, crashes, and takes my system down with it. Since I'm on a server I have to have it up constantly. I don't want people missing their email, you know? (Goes for me as well!)

I'm using the regular Media Player that comes installed by default with Win98SE. The exe's name is "mplayer.exe". So what's that? Media Player 6.0? Something like that. I know it's rock-stable and I've made it my default for just about everything except wavs/midis. (I let Irfan-View handle those instead.)

So since I've made it my default viewer for those .mpeg files like that PLUS I have the plugins installed in all my Gecko browsers' plugins directories (bad syntax?) and set it in mineTypes.rdf, that's like a "triple whammy", so to speak? One of those settings somewhere has to cause my KM to play that file, right? Makes me wonder if WMP is set up as your default media viewer as well along with everything else like I've done here? (I actually walked away from the board thinking about this last night---a rare occurrance for me! LOL!)

Do you likewise have Firefox installed? Or Mozilla Suite? Sometimes I've suggested too that people go and try playing these trailers in either of those browsers as well. These browsers will ask you HOW you want the specific file to be handled and WHAT programme you want to handle it, see? And if you tick off, "Always open with WMP" then it'll be set in like Firefox's mimeTypes.rdf which is stored in the Firefox profile directory. That mimeTypes.rdf file can then be copied over into the K-Meleon profile directory. (You can either allow it to over-write your current file or backup your current file first THEN over-write---I prefer the latter option!)

Like I say---probably none of this really helps you?

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
http://eyesonly.no-ip.info/jimmymac/

Date: December 24, 2004 10:31PM

Tried to work around it by installing Firefox and copy the mimeTypes.rdf, but the files also didn't play in Firefox. I got to a nice Microsoft "Please Upgrade Your Mediaplayer"-screen once, but that was it.
I'll try to get some information in WMP-forums, because it now definitely looks like a WMP-problem.

Thank you for your help.

Rod

Date: December 30, 2004 02:24PM

Problem solved, it was a bad WMP-install. Finally got things to work with WMP 7.1.
Thank you all for your replies and help.
May everyone have a fantastic 2005.

Rod

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 30, 2004 07:27PM

Rod - glad You found the solution! - just started holiday and had time to recheck. there is an issue with newer Mozilla gecko and new media player - but i not sure where the fault was - i read reference to it - possibly on gemal dk browser spy page.

I do not like new media player anyway because the default settings are said to collect info from users - this spying for default setting is bad recommendation.

have a good slide into new year and may all that You wish 4 the year 2005 come true
& the same to mon vieux eyes-only and all forum

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.