General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Mozilla extension named "TongWenTang"
Posted by: Novecento
Date: December 19, 2004 03:43AM

http://tongwen.mozdev.org/

"Tong Wen Tang is a toolbar button extension which let you switch the display face of a Chinese page between traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese."

Does anyone know how to install it on K-Meleon?

It seems to be the only package that does translation between traditional/simplified Chinese character.

Thanks for your answer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mozilla extension named "TongWenTang"
Date: December 19, 2004 03:46AM

I tried to install the chrome files manually, but I do not know how to execute it in K-Meleon.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 19, 2004 10:55AM

i assume that You put jar files into place and mentioned them inside installed-chrome.txt, next You delete overlayinfo and chrome.rdf.
(before You can start them the first time)
You also need to look into the chrome to find the starting element.

into macros where You place something like:

googlebar {
opennew("chrome://googlebar/content/googlebarOverlay.xul");
}

(which means You look which xul thing starts Your gaget
and make a starter macro for it)

plus something is placed in menus that call the macro that calls Your thing.
will look like.

macros(googlebar, Call Googlebar)

You best look and shape it like existing things like the rss feeder

some xul things work with k-m some do not,
& i wish You success - kind regards

Date: December 19, 2004 12:45PM

Thank you for your answer, and the below is my result:

I've added something in macros:

tongwen {
open("chrome://tongwen/content/toolbarbutton.xul");
}

and put in in the menus (and toolbars):

macros(tongwen, Translate with TongWenTang)

The result is that it opens a toolbar button in main browsing field, but the original page I want to translate is gone. (Its toolbar does not work in K-Meleon maybe?)

The command which does the translation ("cmd_tongwen_tra") is located in "toolbarbutton.xul", but I do not know how to execute it directly. Maybe only by writing a new XUL item (I'm familiar with this codes...) can my purpose be done.

Although reading both traditional/simplified Chinese is not difficult for me, but hopefully someday this extension will be ported to K-Meleon.

Date: December 19, 2004 12:48PM

Oh, for those who use Mozilla/Firefox also, there's a modification of TongWenTang which makes the translation faster:

http://forum.moztw.org/viewtopic.php?t=3454

Date: December 19, 2004 12:50PM

The command which does the translation ("cmd_tongwen_tra") is located in "toolbarbutton.xul", but I do not know how to execute it directly. Maybe only by writing a new XUL item (I'm familiar "NOT" with this codes...) can my purpose be done.

Posted by: guenter
Date: December 19, 2004 02:44PM

that is not a good result. (some FF things simply do not work)

You could try to extract command and try to shape it like the macros that stand behind the the buttons (that switch off java and so on) - but to help You with that surpasses my knowledge. kind regards

Posted by: Carson
Date: December 21, 2004 09:17PM

BTW, I'd be interested in a brief explanation re simplified Chinese. I've seen lots of references to it, but I'm confused about both why and how it exists. In North America, English is really used/understood, generally, at only a very basic level. Its subtleties are wasted, to the extent that most socio-political decisions are based on a very mean [i.e. impoverished] grasp of logic.

Even so, it is arguably impossible to create a simplified English. Colloquial English is not simplified; it is probably more an enhancement. Is a simplified Chinese able to capture all the nuances of a the traditional language? Is there any fear of some degree of cultural degredation if the traditional can be simplified? Thanks. :-)

Date: December 29, 2004 01:24PM

The Sim. Chinese was created for during Cultural Revolution in Mainland China. They thinked that it would boost literacy in China (and they thinked that revolution on everything would made China catch up with western countries such as UK and US). Since ROC(Taiwan) and the PRC(Mainland China) are politically and geographycally separated, it's reasonable for both characters to survive well because people in these two regions (actually two different countries?) did not communicate with each other for several decades.

Although the chinese language had two different writings, the meaning and pronunciation for a character in both sides are the same. Chinese characters evolved from hieroglyphs, and so some people think the Sim. Chinese may lose its original meanings. However, the Sim. Chinese is used by much more people than the Trad. Chinese (PRC is much more larger than Taiwan geographically). And although the meaning and pronunciation for a character is the same, the meanings of some words (combining several characters) differ because of cultural separation for several decades. Fortunately in recent years people in both regions has communicated with each other more often (the internet helps a lot, too).

Date: December 29, 2004 01:29PM

I think that language or character cannot be judged as good or bad. Weather people use it or not really matters. Evolved with time, there may be just one left, or maybe both will be used forever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simplified_chinese

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.