General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
low speed transferring files
Posted by: blackmirror
Date: September 16, 2010 05:43PM

Actually I have installed Chrome latest version, Firefox 3.6.10 and IE8 and Kmeleon 1.54. I use all of them for different purposes, but I found that IE8 download files faster than any other. I don't know the reason, but Kmeleon download files very slow in windows 7. Lowest speed registered in Firefox, and Chrome too, but not slower than Kmeleon. Latest news are suggesting that IE9 will download faster than any browser, but I don't trust so much IE for malware and virus danger. I want to know if it is a problem of windows 7 or a Kmeleon configuration. Any idea?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: low speed transferring files
Posted by: guenter
Date: September 17, 2010 10:10PM

I assume that MS has optimized for their applcation = IE.

Download speed is system and AFAIK not application specific.

Other jobs like JavaScript performance... are application specific.

IMHO MS has done a cone job to give other apps a bad user experience and thus a bad reputation. No idea how to bypass the problem - really. sad smiley

p.s. Copy links to clipboard insert to IE and use IE for downloads in the background only. grinning smiley

That is a fair return value for this kind of MS job tongue sticking out smiley or not?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/17/2010 10:33PM by guenter.

Posted by: CJ
Date: September 18, 2010 05:30AM

guenter
IMHO MS has done a cone job to give other apps a bad user experience and thus a bad reputation.

I don't think that is fair. IE begins a download as soon as you select Save As, it doesn't wait for you to confirm the name and directory. It downloads into a temp area and moves/renames the file when it's finished.

This makes it seem faster as it's downloading before you even realise it. If you cancel the download then it just stops and deletes the temp file. This is either clever or wasteful depending on your point of view. smiling smiley

Posted by: JamesD
Date: September 18, 2010 10:30AM

@ CJ

There are some choices in EDIT - PREFERENCES - BROWSING - FILE HANDLING which may be of use in speeding up the start of downloading.

Posted by: siria
Date: September 18, 2010 11:46AM

CJ
IE begins a download as soon as you select Save As, it doesn't wait for you to confirm the name and directory. It downloads into a temp area and moves/renames the file when it's finished.

Actually I often have the impression that this is what my K-Meleon really does too .
If I need some time to decide for a download location and type a new name, and then click on save, the progress bar often seems to start already in the middle.
Well possible that it has to do with any settings, in prefs or about: config, no idea, or perhaps it's some system or security setting (I'm on Win98, not own-minded Vista/7 :coolsmiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2010 11:47AM by siria.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: September 18, 2010 11:53AM

*m*a*y* even have to do with cache settings?

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: 4td8s
Date: October 06, 2010 11:16PM

permanent solution for this problem is to use third party download managers and a tcp/ip optimizer tool, especially if you use old Windows OSes like w98se/wme/w2k/wxp.

Posted by: panzer
Date: October 07, 2010 09:03AM

It is very slow indeed. 10 minutes to download 4,5 Mb. Like it is bored because all it has to do is to download. It wants to do more complicated things, you know, to feel important. grinning smiley

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 09:10AM by panzer.

Posted by: duffy2009
Date: October 07, 2010 12:11PM

I have to agree with siria ... every time I get my download to the right folder it is either already finished, almost finished or if it's really a large download ... it has started. I really like this about KM ... I am using KM 1.5.4 and Win 98SE (updated to 2010) ... so maybe MS started fooling around with later OS's.

Date: October 12, 2010 06:21PM

4td8s
permanent solution for this problem is to use third party download managers and a tcp/ip optimizer tool, especially if you use old Windows OSes like w98se/wme/w2k/wxp.

Or do what I did...Use Axel

Install CYGWIN compile Axel and use it for downlod..Fire an axel -n 200/300/500 (Whatever rocks your boat)and enjoy huge speeds...
Forget about crappy 10 connections maximum third party download managers..

Regards

My favorite forums
http://www.graphixanstuff.com
http://www.closeprotectionworld.co.uk/index.php?referrerid=11530

Posted by: panzer
Date: October 12, 2010 06:46PM

Me not Gorilla. Me not smart like you. grinning smiley

Can this be used for USB? If you have to install it, I think not.

Posted by: snuz2
Date: October 16, 2010 03:52AM

Definitely run the tcp optimize tests from speedguide.net. IE has it's own set of registry settings that set Tcp rwin. The default set is used by everyone else, probably your rwin is too small and you need to set selective ACKs and number of piplined req's etc. The program from speedguide will set them after you measure your latency, or you can just use 1 second as a rough guide. I would suggest you measure latency to the slowest, furthest website you normally download from.

another tool is fasterfax which sets gecko parameters for more broadband like settings, there is a km version but it has a error in the .kmm file i think. I did not find this to be so helpful in my case, but ymmv. If you can't get it to work i will post the fix, it's something to do with the newwindow command that changed between km versions.

km starts download before you confirm, also broadband modems burst at high speed before the "cap" limits the performance. can you tellus what type of connection you have?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.