Date: February 22, 2005 07:04PM

1. Start K-Meleon.

2. Choose Tools | Privacy | Clear All

OR

2. Choose Tools | Privacy | Clear History

3. Close K-Meleon.

4. Re-open K-Meleon.

Expected result: History list is empty.

Actual result: History list is exactly as though step 2 has not been performed.

Any ideas on why this might be happening? =/

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The History That Will Not Die
Posted by: alain.NOSPAM.aupeix@wanadoo.fr
Date: February 22, 2005 07:22PM

Just setup privacy and choose clear history when launching.

Posted by: Carson
Date: February 22, 2005 07:22PM

I thought Privacy was not clearing quite a few things. I haven't sat down to test it, but I've gained the impression that it was largely ineffective.

Posted by: jsnj
Date: February 22, 2005 08:27PM

Alt+P - Settings - Clear On Startup

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: February 22, 2005 09:50PM

Now that's interesting. Are we talking about the "History" that's maintained in the "History" icon? Because in 0.9 I have the original privacy .dll that came with KM 0.9 and I have it set to clear at shutdown and it's doing precisely that on my Windows 98SE/Aston Shell overlay.

In fact, for me it's working and doing all that it's supposed to be doing, clearing cookies, cache, addressbar (I don't want it to touch my passwords) on shutdown. Strange why it's not doing it for others.

Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: February 22, 2005 10:11PM

Well, just a sec here. Angelblade wasn't talking about shutdowns or startups. I interpreted his question to be whether Privacy was actually clearing History when the "Clear History" line was selected. In my case, using jsnj's Privacy Button, that is in the drop down box under the Settings line.

My comment was about just that.

Posted by: Eyes-Only
Date: February 22, 2005 10:49PM

Ah! Okie! I've never thought to try it that way actually as I've always done it at either shutdown or startup. Same with using Opera, Firefox, or the Suite: I've always waited until the end of browsing to actually clear the cache, history, and cookies---never giving it a thought to actually doing it during the browsing session.

I guess I've always had that mentality of cleaning at the end. I think it comes from when they first placed the button in Phoenix (earliest incarnation of today's Firefox) and how it only worked at the END of the session.

I'm an old man just too set in my ways. Of course I've been that way since 16 forcing those around me to adapt to me or I get cranky. LOL!

Amicalement! winking smiley

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

Date: February 22, 2005 11:00PM

Last I heard, you were a young feller in his 40s, so I'm afraid you don't pass the chronology test either, my friend. :-)

Yes, I think Angelblade is quite capable of killing his history. I didn't think he wanted to know how to do that. I got the impression, 'cuz he put it in point form, that he was pointing out a non-functional item in the build.

I've been sleepy this afternoon as a result of being hit by several tons of cascading walnuts that fell out of a K-Meleon build I was tweaking an hit me in the meleon. However, I did check out Angelblade's claim, and 'tis true--if you remember to uncheck you start/stop kill settings, History will come back loaded, even though you pressed on "Clear History" in the menu.

And I wouldn't have a great deal of faith in the other items working, either.

Whether your K-M is walnuticated or not.
:-)

Posted by: angelblade
Date: February 23, 2005 05:45AM

However, I did check out Angelblade's claim, and 'tis true--if you remember to uncheck you start/stop kill settings, History will come back loaded, even though you pressed on "Clear History" in the menu.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one. smiling smiley I don't clear my History on a regular basis, be it on startup or shutdown, because autocomplete is a large part of my browsing habits - but yes, those methods work.

On a sidenote, the options window for the History plugin (access it via Edit | Preferences | Plugins) has a Clear History button, though it's grayed out and you can't click it.

If any devs are reading this - is this a known issue, or should I file a bug report?

Posted by: jsnj
Date: February 23, 2005 05:59AM

It's known

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.