General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Have a Problem on My Windows 98SE Notebook
Posted by: duffy2009
Date: October 19, 2010 08:36AM

I have just discovered something on one of my computer notebooks ... I thought it "might" be in some way be related to KernelEx. I posted at that forum yesterday and so far have not had any replies so I guess no one has had this happen on their notebook. I don't think it's connected to K-Meleon but I'm posting here to see if anyone has discovered this on their machine and also since there are other languages involved with KM ... I think. Maybe someone can shed some light on what might be causing this and maybe a solution. I will just post what I posted at the KernelEx message board ... it goes into detail about something changing my Control/Alt + Delete window from English to another language ... perhaps German or I almost think it looks Swedish. The Dell computer was OK in early September since I did a Ghost backup at that time and the Control/Alt + Delete box is in English ... I had the older KernelEx Final and KM 1.5.4 installed at that time.

--------------------------------

I have come across something that may have nothing to do with the new KernelEx 4.5 RC 4 version but I am posting here to see if this has happened to anyone else or if someone can shed some light on this. I have been using the new KEx 4.5 RC 4 for about 3 weeks now ... yesterday I noticed something very strange on one of my notebook computers ... I have 4 notebooks pretty much all set up the same with Windows 98SE. Last night on my Dell Latitude I went to press Control/Alt + Delete and all the wording was no longer in English ... it could be German or maybe Swedish. Everything in the box has changed but the programs to shut down are still in English and everything else on my computer is still English, I have found nothing else on my Dell computer that has changed from English. I have a Ghost backup made in early Sept of all 4 notebooks so I reinstalled the Dell backup and when I checked the Control/Alt + Delete box, everything was in English. I did a few updates from the Sept backup and everything was still English ... Then I took off the KEx Final 2 version that I now had on the Dell from the backup and installed the new KEx 4.5 RC 4. Unfortunately, I didn't check the Control/Alt + Delete right after that ... maybe 10 minutes later after maybe another update or two ... anyway, when I did check the Con/Alt + Delete area again the language had changed from English to the other language. As I said earlier, all my computers are pretty much set up the same so this morning I am on my NEC as I type this message. All my computers have the new KEx 4.5 RC 4 installed ... so when I went to check the Con/Alt + Delete on this computer ... it is OK, everything is in English as it should be. I didn't have time to check the other two computers. So now I am puzzled why English in just that one area got changed to another language and why only on the Dell computer and not the NEC. The Dell Ghost backup from Sept is OK but something changed it after I did the updates ... but I have the same updates on the NEC and nothing has changed. As I said earlier, this may not be related to KernelEx at all since it has only happened to the one computer. Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 09:01AM by duffy2009.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Have a Problem on My Windows 98SE Notebook
Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 19, 2010 01:28PM

yes, it does sound like kernelx related..not sure how that happened cause i don't know anything about kernelex but that taskmanager dialogue is located inside kernel32.dll which it replaces. kernel32 98 is small on dialogues and only has 2 ones, the end task dialogues and error message on program crash, all the rest of win98se dialogs are handled with other libraries and explorer.exe shell

comparison between english and swedish..and i think what you have is swedish

i don't know if kernelx detects os locale and if it contains several languages and installs different files according to language but if it does, here what's most likely to have happened

as some point when you were installing kernelx or probably on updating, your installation went sour and kernelx wouldn't install and asked to remove the prevoius update.. not finding the original kernel file, you wentsearching on google for it and then went to this site(which usually popsup on first result)
http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?kernel32

yep..that's the one with cuba gooding junior at the top, you downloaded the file, and replaced it in dos maybe.. but that kernel32 you got from there is swedish not english because that site have libraries in many languages and the shitheads never tell you the locale. grinning smiley it happened to me before when i downloaded an ie xp dll which i've maimed and later found out many of ie security prompts turning into spanish

now, the likely scenario is after replacing with the swedish kernel and updating kernelx, it found it was swedish and if it does indeed support langiages then it will install the swedish version..and then you got task manager in swedish.

all this is speculation of course cause i don't know how kernelx works but if i'm correct, you will need to uninstall kernelex, replace the pesky swede with a en-us and reinstall kernelx which will then use its english one

en-us windows 98 se kernel32
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/tests/KERNEL32-windows98SE-english.zip

Re: Have a Problem on My Windows 98SE Notebook
Date: October 19, 2010 02:45PM

disrupted ... yes, you found the exact box I now see on that computer in Swedish, that is the wording. However, I was not aware of any problem when installing the newer KernelEx. After reinstalling the backup, I uninstalled the older KernelEx version and installed the newer (latest) version. I was not aware of any problems with the install ... everything went as normal and something just went a little haywire on that one notebook ... but you have given me some things to work with and I will put the Ghost backup on again and reinstall the the new KernelEx version again and watch everything more close. I appreciate you taking the time to research my problem and come up with something. It's funny how only the English got changed in that one area and no where else on the computer ... at least I haven't found anything anywhere so far. If I can't get this fixed I will go back to the KernelEx forum with your information and see if they have any ideas there. ... thanks again.

... Come to think of it ... I may have gotten that kernel.dll somewhere off the internet. I think I used the Win 98SE cd for the other computers and just extracted that dll from the cd. Not 100% sure ... but I understand what you are saying now about a dll not being English but really no way to tell. I was not aware of that ... will be aware from now on. ... and yes you are right, that dll site is usually the first one I see when I do search for a dll. I do have a downloaded kernel32 dll in my KernelEx folder which I used on that Dell computer. I will delete that kernel32 download and put the one from the link you posted in the folder. Yes, when I uninstalled the older version of KernelEx, I needed to reinstall kernel32 for the newer KernelEx version to install. You're one heck of a problem solver ... I never would have hit on the fact that I probably downloaded a Swedish version of kernel32.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 03:12PM by duffy2009.

Re: Have a Problem on My Windows 98SE / swedish kernel downloaded
Posted by: siria
Date: October 19, 2010 06:50PM

Crazy!!! And CLEVER grinning smiley grinning smiley
That just takes a lot of background knowledge on windows system stuff, and who in the world would have imaged such a reason?! And that this dll-download site fools people so badly, what a shame!

Posted by: slayer
Date: October 20, 2010 03:39PM

cuba gooding junior at the top
grinning smileygrinning smiley

Posted by: disrupted
Date: October 20, 2010 05:52PM

siria, it's not a bad site ..they don't have malware but they are just dumb not telling what language the files are. when my ie prompts turned spanish, i came seeking help here because if it wasn't for ietab i probably would have never noticed and that ppanish file was there for maybe a couple of years and didn't know because don't use ie regularly and just like duffy, i went to my latest backup but the file was spanish there too. it was very confusing because you can't understand why there is an alien file there and where it came from and i kept trying hard to remeber then i reembered that i messed with couple of ie files changing their icons and i corrupted some offset in one of them and downloaded it from that site (with cuba goodinggrinning smiley) i even ownloaded the file again just to make sure and it was indeed in spanish so when duffy got that swedish problem, it immediately rang a bell and i went to dll-files to see if their kernel32 was swedish and it was so thought duffy must have been there too :d it isn;t really computer knowledge as much as messing your files and it's human behaviour..we sometimes get too lazy to bring out the backups and start searching or extracting from cds and it's just easier to download a missing or bad file.

slayer, i think it's a marketing thing..and if you can't afford a celebrity then get someone who looks like one. familiar faces sell.. for a downloads website like dll-files, cuba gooding jr is a strong face because he's known as an honest and trustworthy person..so he gives that image to their website.

uk2 with a lisa kudrow(phoebe buffay) look-alike

they are telling customers our service is easy, trouble-free and our support is very friendly and clearly targeting a young demographic

Date: October 20, 2010 06:14PM

disrupted ... glad you posted that about that dll site. Yes, they are not bad and they provide a nice service. I don't go there very often but through the years I have downloaded dlls from them and the downloads have always been OK ... this was the first time (to my knowledge) that I downloaded a "problem" dll from them. I'm glad they are there ... I've had a few dlls that I really needed for some software and such ... so the site is really a lifesafer to many people, I'm sure ... even if they have a "look-a-like" cuba gooding jr. I thank you for hitting on a solution to my problem as quick as you did ... plus I (and probably others also) learned something for the future to be a little more careful in searching out dlls.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2010 06:15PM by duffy2009.

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.