General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
New to K-Meleon
Posted by: Munkymind
Date: October 23, 2010 05:14AM

Hello,

I'm an FF user and new to K-Melon, so any questions I have will be from that perspective.
Since K-Melon is a cousin I thought to give it a spin.
So far, coolness and difference.

Trialing: K-Melon 1.5.4
FF 3.6.10 with Noscript; RequestPolicy; Ghostery; BetterPrivacy; ShowIP; New Tab Home
Sandboxie 3.46
Vista SP2

I've been googling the forum for an answer about 'page zoom focus'.
When I try to get rid of the scroll bar at the bottom, via zoom, as I do in FF it only alters the text.
Is there a way to make page zoom work in 1.5.4?

In forum posting I would like to have hot keys for bbcode.
In FF they include [ b ], [ i ], and [ u ], highlight the required text to add tags, then issue command sequence, tags are placed on either side of what's highlighted.
I have taken a look at:
http://two.xthost.info/kmeleon/lizard/commands.html#l_teclas
Are there keys that I shouldn't use to make my hot keys?

Tags I would like to make hot keys:
  • [ quote ]
  • [ url ]
  • [ code ]
  • [ color ]
  • [ list ]
  • [ img ]
  • [ noparse ]
  • [ b ]
  • [ i ]
  • [ u ]
  • [ * ]
Suggestions for which keys would be good to use?

Is there any way to vertically or columb select text in K-Meleon?

Can k,melun have a special auto spell corrector for it's name? grinning smiley
By the way, where is the spell checker?

Thanks,

Munkymind

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 05:18AM by Munkymind.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New to K-Meleon
Posted by: guenter
Date: October 23, 2010 11:07AM

Munkymind

FF 3.6.10 with Noscript; RequestPolicy; Ghostery; BetterPrivacy; ShowIP; New Tab Home
Sandboxie 3.46
Vista SP2

I've been googling the forum for an answer about 'page zoom focus'.
When I try to get rid of the scroll bar at the bottom, via zoom, as I do in FF it only alters the text.
Is there a way to make page zoom work in 1.5.4?

In forum posting I would like to have hot keys for bbcode.
In FF they include [ b ], [ i ], and [ u ], highlight the required text to add tags, then issue command sequence, tags are placed on either side of what's highlighted.
I have taken a look at:
http://two.xthost.info/kmeleon/lizard/commands.html#l_teclas
Are there keys that I shouldn't use to make my hot keys?

Tags I would like to make hot keys:
  • [ quote ]
  • [ url ]
  • [ code ]
  • [ color ]
  • [ list ]
  • [ img ]
  • [ noparse ]
  • [ b ]
  • [ i ]
  • [ u ]
  • [ * ]
Suggestions for which keys would be good to use?

Is there any way to vertically or columb select text in K-Meleon?

By the way, where is the spell checker?

Bold Extensions sort of exist. More or less. Cave: I do not know Firefox extensions myself.
Follow to K-Meleon extension links via this post in Extension Forums.

Zoom: Right click at the zoom icons opens the Context Menu with possible options (right click always does open contextual menus in a given situation). Set zoom options to Your wishes.

bbcode: an extension (kmm=K-Meleon Macro module or so, consisting of editable text) that integrates bbcodes into right-click menu exists, after You mark texts bbcodes are offered in the menus when it is installed. You can edit and add items.

Text select: no idea - check extensions sites and Extension Forum.

Spell check 4 K-Meleon by mark307: is offered on the extension pages.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 05:51PM by guenter.

Posted by: siria
Date: October 23, 2010 11:14AM

First a little note for KM folks:
Looks like the hoster of mark307 plugin page is closing in a few days, his page will vanish sad smiley
http://mark307.hp.infoseek.co.jp

@munkymind:
For zooming options (text+images=page zoom) right-click on a zoom-button.
Most toolbar buttons actually have an option menu on right-click, just try, or read the tooltips ;-)

Perhaps you're also interested in trying desga's KM1.6 preBeta version (aka "cp4")? It uses Gecko1.9x and runs quite well already:
http://kmeleonbrowser.org/forum/read.php?2,109196,page=3

Sorry spellchecker isn't included, it exists only as optional extension. It's one of the few more complicated extensions to install, and personally I'm spellchecking with my eyes, so cannot tell anything more about it ;-)
http://extensions.geckozone.org/KMES-SpellCheckEn
http://kmext.sourceforge.net/ext7.htm

----------------

For bbcode, sounds like you already have installed the macro?
http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/wiki/KmmBBcode
And you already have the link to the default KM shortcuts, so just choose any other shortcuts you like.

User shortcuts are usually added here:
Edit > Configuration > Accelerators

Haven't tried, but probably works with that syntax (just example for "bold"):

ALT B = macros(_BB_T1(b))

That should put [ b] [/b ] around selected text in a input field. Or use any other shortcut, ALT B is not predefined or anything, I just tried if it does anything by default and it didn't, so assume that shortcut is "free" yet ;-) As you sure know, b=bold, i=italic, u= underlined etc.

-------- advanced users
ALTERNATIVELY it's also possible to add shortcuts in the macro-file (.kmm) directly, that has the advantage that the shortcuts are gone too if the macro is disabled or deleted. And the disadvantage that own modifications are way too easily deleted by accident when downloading a new version of a macro :cool: So I usually rename mine to something like xyz_mod.kmm, and after an update I manually copy over own stuff into the new version, then delete the old one.

For defining shortcuts in a kmm-macro the syntax is different, just as example again:
setaccel("ALT B", "macros(_BB_T1("b"))");
OR
setaccel("ALT B", "macros(_BB_T1(".$_bold."))");

Add the new lines inside the "buildmenu" block in the macro kmm-file.
Or if you prefer, create an own block to add, e.g. at the very end:

--------
_BBcode_myaccels{
# bold:
setaccel("ALT B", "macros(_BB_T1("b"))");
# italic:
setaccel("ALT I", "macros(_BB_T1("i"))");
# underlined:
setaccel("ALT U", "macros(_BB_T1("u"))");
# quote box no name:
setaccel("ALT Q", "macros(_BB_T1("quote"))");
# size:
setaccel("ALT I or CTRL SHIFT VK_F12 or whatever","macros(_BB_T2(".$_Fsize."))");
}
$OnInit=$OnInit."_BBcode_myaccels;";
--------

For the more complicated actions copy the macros() part from the end of their "setmenu" lines in the macro.

Date: October 23, 2010 11:15AM

Oops - sorry guenter, I knew I should have reloaded first before posting, LOL!! grinning smiley

Posted by: duffy2009
Date: October 23, 2010 12:17PM

guenter and siria covered pretty much everything ... just wanted to add that with the K-Meleon Extensions Manager (install/uninstall extensions) you should find it very easy to add plugins/extensions ... including Spell Check.

Posted by: guenter
Date: October 23, 2010 06:15PM

duffy2009
guenter and siria covered pretty much everything ... just wanted to add that with the K-Meleon Extensions Manager (install/uninstall extensions) you should find it very easy to add plugins/extensions ... including Spell Check.

Thx duffy2009 for covering what I forgot smiling smiley

Sure guenter forgot to mention what to install first grinning smiley.

siria
Oops - sorry guenter, I knew I should have reloaded first before posting, LOL!! grinning smiley

War ich endlich mal schneller?:O

Froi! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2010 06:15PM by guenter.

Date: October 26, 2010 04:17AM

Zoom:
Does not opperate properly with any of the right click options, all choices produce the same results, text only.

I haven't installed any extensions yet, I wanted to get understanding first.

For installing 1.6b instead I will have to read up on what's happening with it to see where it's at currently.

So far K-meleon is kool.

Date: October 26, 2010 07:39AM

If you install the 1.6 cp4-version from my link above you can simply unzip it and run, no "installation" in that sense needed, and doesn't interfer with other KM versions. It's already set to create the profiles in the portable way, inside its own program folder, so it's completely independant from your current 1.5.4 version. If you have some custom settings you'd like to copy over, copy the contents of your 1.5.4 profile folder manually into the 1.6 one (click Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory to find the right one), just make sure your tabs bar is not set to the bottom before copying.

The main difference is that 1.6 uses a much newer gecko engine, 1.9.x, and if I get that right (but I'm no expert just a normal end user), the remaining bugs concern mainly the GUI, hardly ever browsing itself. For example the "offline" setting may be shown wrong at startup, it *always* starts ONline, regardless what the menu or button says.
Must say that meanwhile even I come across too many sites that require gecko1.9x or else have overlapping page elements with 1.8x, that I'm starting to think those "old-gecko-overlap" bugs start weighing heavier than a few minor GUI bugs... Last week I used ebay again after a long break, and that looks just horribly messed now sad smiley

But cannot understand why zooming doesn't work right for you *confused* Is that on ALL sites or just some special ones?? Do you have disabled an essential plugin perhaps, like macros or JSBridge? Although I'm not sure which ones are needed exactly, but those 2 create usually the biggest probs if disabled ;-)

Date: October 27, 2010 02:41AM

siria
If you install the 1.6 cp4-version from my link above you can simply unzip it and run, no "installation" in that sense needed, and doesn't interfer with other KM versions. It's already set to create the profiles in the portable way, inside its own program folder, so it's completely independant from your current 1.5.4 version. If you have some custom settings you'd like to copy over, copy the contents of your 1.5.4 profile folder manually into the 1.6 one (click Edit>Configuration>Profile Directory to find the right one), just make sure your tabs bar is not set to the bottom before copying.
Since you have made a convincing argument I will give it a trial and see if zooming improves.

siria
But cannot understand why zooming doesn't work right for you *confused* Is that on ALL sites or just some special ones?? Do you have disabled an essential plugin perhaps, like macros or JSBridge? Although I'm not sure which ones are needed exactly, but those 2 create usually the biggest probs if disabled ;-)
Pretty much all sites I have tried it on, though I can't make a valid claim of ALL sites. smiling smiley
I am not a tweaker by nature. If JSBridge and Macros are in Preferences then there is potential to mess with them, if they're not accessible through Preferences than I haven't messed with them.
I have made one modification, the youtube fix from the sticky was added, I tweaked a little. :O
Could the youtube fix interfere with the zooming function?

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.