General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
[Recommend] K-MeleonCCF 0.020 PR10
Posted by: Hao Jiang
Date: May 13, 2005 04:23AM

Real Static Build this time. Thanks for Dorian's help all the time.

[Release Notes]

* Static Build (exe file includes all the dlls)
* 1.7.8 Gecko
* Some macro fixes from PR9

[Download]
http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~haojng/K-MeleonCCF0.020PR10.exe

The history.txt not work. Only history.dat works in this version.

Please help test bookmark file in this version. Thank you.

Thanks for your support. Hope you will like my work.

Hao

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: [Recommend] K-MeleonCCF 0.020 PR10
Posted by: Carson
Date: May 13, 2005 05:32AM

Hao, it is 10:30pm Pacific Daylight Time, and I'm typing this in your K-MeleonCCF 0.020 PR10 - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050512 K-Meleon/0.9.

I have installed the bookmarks.html, the very same one that did not work before, and I have restarted this browser five times. No trouble at all; perfect performance every time. And, I repeat, that is the identical bookmarks file; not even a copy or a clone of it.

Congratulations, once again, Hao. You always triumph. :-) And thank you.

(Again, for people just starting in K-Meleon: This build is Highly Recommended.)

Posted by: XsTones
Date: May 13, 2005 06:09AM

Just what I think? It's smooth but it's not as fast as Dorians's and Wb for static builds (Numion). That's for speed. I'll take it for a spin later when I get back home.

Thanks Hao......

Date: May 13, 2005 06:25AM

A Few Notes for other End-Users:

Accelerators: This build easily accepts these modifications. They can be placed beside similar entries:

(1) Blockfall default = ALT X. I change that to ALT B (works fine) and then I add:
ALT X = rebarmenu(Compact Menu)
This causes the most important working menu to drop-down as a floating menu when you press ALT X (could be any available letter). You could actually operate or restore the entire browser operation with this one feature.*

(2) I add a toggle switch to kill JavaScript. It toggles on the bottom status bar to F7:
VK_F7 = macros(JSToggle)

Branding: If anyone wants to change (K-Meleon) at the top, Hao's k-meleon.exe downloads compacted with the newest Ultimate Packer (UPX) beta 1.93 from
http://upx.sourceforge.net/#unstable
I place the upx.exe file right inside Hao's K-M, open a DOS window there, and type in
upx -d k-meleon.exe
which unpacks the k-m file to three times its compressed size. Then it can be handled by Resource Hacker. Mine is branded at the top of the screen as
(Hao's K-Meleon 0.9 {1.7.8} ccf0.020 pr10, May 12-05)

*Why would I need ALT-X?
It's always available just in case. "Just in case" might be handy, because I also set
user_pref ("kmeleon.toolband.Menu.visibility", false);
[and I set the throbber to false at the same time] in user.js. I always intend to ensure I have my tools available on the toolbars, but ALT-X is my safeguard.

-- Just a few arbitrary ideas to help "make it your own." :-)

Date: May 13, 2005 06:33AM

I liked Silverbird, Hao, but I changed mine to T'ang. T'ang is just too beautiful not to use it. This rendition is exquisite--just gorgeous. :-)

Date: May 13, 2005 07:03AM

Hao, would you please check Q-Jot? It looks okay in the menu, but I must be missing something. Absolutely no response to the RTE button on the toolbar. Thanks.

Posted by: greytank
Date: May 13, 2005 07:59AM

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.8) Gecko/20050512 K-Meleon/0.9

tested. everything's fine. bookmark working too. thanks, Hao...

anyway, i'm as green as chameleon to k-meleon winking smiley how to take out 'favorites' button from the menu bar? it's redundant, as i'm using my bookmark, not 'favorites'.

tx.. great work, Hao smiling smiley

Posted by: greytank
Date: May 13, 2005 09:13AM

when i type 'about:config' in the URL bar, the page came up blank. I used to be able to view the full lists of configs with k-meleon 0.9. any reason behind this? thanks

Date: May 13, 2005 11:37AM

For speed, this build can be speed up more also. The reason W-B build is faster probably cuz of different chrome, different build config and different Gecko. (1.8 is faster than 1.7)

Hao

Date: May 13, 2005 11:41AM

The about:config blank page is definite a bug. I will look into this.

For people who whant to use Qjot, I didn't include Qjot into this build. You can just copy the extra folder from my previous PR9 into the new K-Meleon folder. Then Qjot shoould work.

Date: May 13, 2005 11:55AM

For speed again, I havn't incorporated any optimization in building Mozilla. And I am using VC++ 6 which does not support -LTCG tag. Those are why it's not as fast as Dorian's W-B build since he 's using VC7 and include more optimizations. I will try to speed it up in the later version.

Date: May 13, 2005 12:58PM

To take off the favorites button, the easiest way to do is to delete the favorites.dll in the kplugins folder.

Hao

Posted by: guenter
Date: May 13, 2005 01:39PM

@Hao = Congratulations.

@All - Dorian´s really took of when the xpt in components where joined
(like they are in FF). Less overhead? Maybe try it
- can possibly done in extra step.
(would that also be interesting to use dynamic with joined xpt?)

Also 1.8.x GRE is faster thus build based on it too - //as Hao said.
- i do not think that the building param that is missing has that much influence.
But i do not know enough about builds to be sure.

Chrome - this chrome is already smaller than w-b chrome.
W-B had a complete functional prefs dialog
(which You can see when using it with Mozilla).

Using history dat probably meens that we can use a few more FF extensions that rely on that. not a bad trade. History.txt is possibly in embedlight.dll.

Favorite: plugin for it can also be deactivated.
(done in Options/Prefernces/Plugins sub-submenue item of... )
then the item will go away from bar. or deleted as Hao said.

like the skins much -

editor - notepad2 @ http://www.flos-freeware.ch is my current favorite available in almost any language spoken by people of this forum.
(including - very essential one like Chinese 2 versions and last not least German)
greetins and best weekend.

Date: May 13, 2005 01:44PM

1. Another confirmation for greytank's about:config; doesn't work

2. Anyone with G-Mail: See if you can type anything in the G-Mail "Compose" area using this build.

Posted by: Mala Okeh
Date: May 13, 2005 01:53PM

Dear Hao,

this time the bookmarks work allright - thanx. The only pity is that the history - wi-hich I use a lot - isn't working. Can we change this by ourselves? And when, how?

Mala

Date: May 13, 2005 02:21PM

Carson,
In gmail compose windows, the plain text one works but the rich test one you cannot input things. That's definitely a bug.

Mala,
I 'll look into the history plugin to see whether it can work with history.dat. And you can also use Mozilla 's history.xul to show the history file like what I did in pr7 and PR8 versions.

Hao

Date: May 13, 2005 02:41PM

Thanks, Hao. Plus thanks for your comments I received in mail. :-) I would like to make an example version available, but not quite yet, as I still need to learn more!

-- That G-Mail bug was a real surprise. It is in the browser, but I sometimes think G-Mail itself has problems. I use it all the time, but it can be very sensitive. The Notifier has not been improved since December 9, and it only works for one account, and seems buggy. Maybe G-Mail is very demanding on browsers being just "so".

Date: May 13, 2005 03:06PM

Carson,
I checked out this bug. It 's related to all the rich text input box. So it's not Gmail specific bug. I will look into it and fix it.

Hao

Posted by: Fred
Date: May 13, 2005 04:01PM

@ Hao
This static exe is a big step forward. There may still be some
obstacles, like history.dat, but we know, that you will eliminate
them. Thank you.
@ Guenter
Yes, the history.txt for the non static builds is in embed_lite.dll.
It isn't anymore part of the new GRE, but I have kept it neverthe-
less in my updated versions.
I have now found out, that you can replace it with mork.dll,
which is a part of Mozilla's component folder. It also provides
the same history.txt in the history box.
So we can use mork.dll in the future.

Regards to all Fred

Date: May 13, 2005 05:38PM

Actually, I did link the mork.lib in my K-Meleon.exe. But it still uses history.dat not history.txt.

Hao

Date: May 14, 2005 11:56AM

Cross reference - Hao, this morning Fred's Original K-M 0.9 using GRE 1.7.8 has the same G-Mail Bug.

Posted by: yeehp
Date: May 14, 2005 02:20PM

Thanks your work ,I used this version( K-meleonCCF0.20PR10 )
I find this version solved bookmark problem . thanks!
but i have a question , when we open a new layer , why my browser not open this new layer in the background layer? i like this style .
my english is not good !

Posted by: Drahken
Date: May 14, 2005 02:41PM

Exactly when do you want new layers to open in the background? When you click a link? When it opens automatically? When you hit CTRL+N? ...?

You can change layers opening in foreground/background by going into the prefs:
Edit->prefs->configs->accelerators
and look for
(OpenLink), (Open), (OpenWindow), ID_OPEN_LINK, etc
and change them to
(OpenLinkBg), (OpenBg), (OpenWindowBg), ID_OPEN_LINK_IN_BACKGROUND, etc

For example: You will see something like this:
MButton = layers(OpenLink)
change it to
MButton = layers(OpenLinkBg)
to make links open in a background layer when you middle click them. Likewise, changing
CTRL N = layers(OpenWindow)
to
CTRL N = layers(OpenWindowBG)
will make it open in the background when you hit ctrl+N.

Posted by: Midas
Date: May 16, 2005 12:50PM

@guenter: I have used notepad2, which is a rather good substitute for the default. Unfortunately it doesn't do web link detection, which these days is really, really very handy. So I decided to switch to editor2 (http://www.netez.com/2xExplorer) which although I think isn't distributed isolated, is also freeware and has the extra advantage of a smaller executable.

I thought I ought to share this...

Cheers to all.

Date: May 16, 2005 01:25PM
Date: May 16, 2005 02:32PM

Many thanks Carson for a fix for my blunder. :~)

Date: May 16, 2005 02:38PM

Trying Carson's link, I noticed that you get Editor2 build 2.5.0.5. Since my build is 2.6.0.6 Unicode, it might be preferable to download xplorer2, just to get the newer version which appart from many bugfixes also adds support for Unicode. Don't forget to Upx the executable, for (yet) smaller footprint and faster loading times...

Date: May 16, 2005 04:06PM

Went there and did that. http://zabkat.com/x2lite.htm
This is the site for the lite version of xplorer2, which is free if you're a student or not making money. Sounds good to me.

I set it up and, sure enough, it contained three "editor" files. I simply copied them from xplorer2 into a folder of their own (I really didn't think this would work, but, nothing like trying) and--voila! I have a new freestanding text editor!

Mine reports in as 2.6.0.6 ANSI. Um, I thought it would say "Unicode." Anyway, I'm told this is "the quadratic notepad replacement (free as beer)" and I'm darned if I know what that means, either.

That's what I like about computers. You get to download all these nifty-keeners toys. And they are all so way kewell. And, at the end of the day, I am totally without a clue about what I have really done or how it worked or why, but, whatever it was, it sure was a good time. :-) And, whatever it's doing, it's sure doing a swell job of it.*

Thanks, Midas.
* When Columbus discovered America, he was picked up from the Mayflower by a band of native peoples driving a black Ford Bronco with an eagle insignia on the hood. They took him into Manhattan for lunch. He was impressed with their city, but he e-mailed back to Queen Isabella that "the aboriginees are so primitive, they are still using dial-up on Windows 98."

Date: May 16, 2005 04:18PM

What OS have you set xplorer2 lite int?

My belief is that explorer2 distinguishes at installation time the unicode capabilities of the system is is being setup into and then decides on the version (ansi or unicode) required... I would bet you did it in WinME (am I wrong?) and for the Unicode version one needs to have some flavour of NT (Win2k or XP). For further enjoyment, please refer to xplorer2 documentation.

Date: May 16, 2005 04:44PM

Gee whiz, it's scary how much you guys know. I've been going back and forth between ME and XP this morning. I wuz hardly aware of it myself, but I was indeed in Millennium--let's see, now, when I downloaded xplorer2, I think . . . and, now, where the heck wuz I when I set it up? Well, just for fun, I'll see what happens if I go through the process in XP.

-- Read the documentation? You mean, READ the documentation??!? Actually, like, READ IT??? Like, READ THE MANUAL????? Are you SERIOUS??!!!???
j/k ;-)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.