General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
saving Bookmarks to an external HD
Posted by: phenix
Date: November 14, 2010 05:19PM

Thank you for K-meleon.
As a safety precaution I want to save my bookmarks to an external
HD. The profile routine is to complicated for me.
Can I just drag and drop them onto the external HD?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: saving Bookmarks to an external HD
Posted by: desga2
Date: November 14, 2010 05:53PM

No, you not can drag&drop (this is a cut&paste), but you can do copy&paste of your bookmarks to external HD.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 05:56PM by desga2.

Posted by: phenix
Date: November 14, 2010 10:12PM

Thanks for answering Desga2.

I am unable to follow your instructions.
I guess I will have to go back to IE. God forbid.
If you would be so kind as to give a little more in your explanation.
Running Vista Business and the latest K-meleon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 10:12PM by phenix.

Posted by: siria
Date: November 14, 2010 10:25PM

Not quite sure what you mean: Simply make a backup copy of your bookmarks.html, to paste wherever you wish, or use your bookmarks 'actively' from the external HDD, while browsing the web?

For safety backups, it's highly recommended to simply copy the whole profile folder to another place. You can open that folder by
Edit > Configuration > Profile directory

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2010 10:46PM by siria.

Posted by: SoerenB
Date: November 15, 2010 08:38AM

Hi, phenix,

if it is IE you'd have to return to: are you really talking about bookmarks (collected in a bookmarks.html file)?

Or are you talking about IE Favorites, which are, by Windows default, Internet Shortcuts (-> small separate files) collected in the User's default "Favorites" folder?

Assuming the latter, and assuming you want to use IE Favorites from a mobile device AS PART OF A PORTABLE INSTALLATION:

Go to Edit, Configuration, Profile Directory:
that Dir opens in Explorer.

RightClick free space, go to New, Folder
Assign a name to that folder, say, Fav2

Copy all the Files & Folders from IE's Favorites folder to that new folder.

Go up one folder level, to see the contents of YourProfileFolder.

Make (DOUBLE!)sure to exit K-Meleon and loader.exe now.

Open prefs.js in notepad

search for the lines beginning with

user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory", 
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.favorites.menuFolder", 
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.favorites.newitemFolder", 
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.favorites.toolbarFolder",

and edit them to hold your new folder's path,
copying this example:
user_pref("kmeleon.plugins.favorites.directory", "Profiles\\KM.shared\\Fav2\\");

(replace "KM.shared" with the name of "YourProfileFolder". Mind double backslashes, commas, and blanks. If you'd like subfolders for some of those, do NOT forget the trailing \\)

Save & close prefs.js.

Next start KM should use the new folder.

BTW.; I have no idea why inserting the paths in the boxes in F2 -> Plugins -> Favorites doesn't work. Well, it did not the last time I tried (1.5.4). But, as editing the prefs.js directly DOES work, I'm fine.

Cheers
SoerenB

Back again ...

Posted by: desga2
Date: November 16, 2010 08:45PM

SoerenB
BTW.; I have no idea why inserting the paths in the boxes in F2 -> Plugins -> Favorites doesn't work. Well, it did not the last time I tried (1.5.4). But, as editing the prefs.js directly DOES work, I'm fine.

Can someone try if this is working fine? I'm not using Favorites.

Thanks.

K-Meleon in Spanish

Date: November 16, 2010 09:53PM

Settings Favorites Folders works fine for me, also checked it with a default profile again. Not 100% sure but guess it worked also in earlier versions. As meanwhile known I'm using 98SE ;-)

I just don't manage to "browse" for an external source code editor :cool: Didn't work in KM154 either. (F2 > Page Display)

Back to favorites, no idea if perhaps it has something to do with the directory? I'm using my systems default directory.
Just noticed happily that the old favorites options dialogue still works, kinda cool grinning smiley (have it linked in a macro)
Because only that one allows to choose an independant location for KM faves, e.g. portable inside the KM folder. Only little glitch, the "...." button doesn't work to open the file browser for choosing a directory. Nothing happens, but doesn't matter, it works fine to copy/paste a path manually, like I do with the source code editor path too.
Ah yes, it's also possible to choose an independant directory with the pref that soeren posted above, but that entry doesn't exist at all, so it's a bit hard to figure out the pref name.

Okay, so I tried to choose an independant location for faves, was too lazy for restart, but when clicking Fav Options, setting a menu folder etc. already seems to work already, the "browse" button opens already the new location.

Soeren, perhaps it's easier than editing prefs.js to instead copy/paste folder names, if browsing doesn't work for you?
Personally I also find it easier to change prefs in about:config than in prefs.js, since there's no need to close and restart, and filtering brings up the right lines instantly.
And if it still has to be prefs.js, I noticed that one can add the changed lines simply at the bottom, never mind if above are the same entries already with other values. Looks like the "lower" entries are simply overwriting the "upper" ones at next restart automatically, at any rate that's my impression, and it makes things a bit easier, no searching needed :cool:

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 10:12PM by siria.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 16, 2010 10:56PM

siria
I just don't manage to "browse" for an external source code editor cool smiley Didn't work in KM154 either. (F2 > Page Display)

I was just able to set my 1.6 beta to use my Ace HTML editor. Note that the browse was greyed out until I put a check in the box "Use external source code viewer". My Ops Sys is XP.

Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 16, 2010 11:05PM

As regards to the "Folder for new favorites" in the favorites options, I seem to remember that you could only use a folder that was under your favorites folder.

I think I got an alternate favorites location to work in the FRA_combo extension. I would have to dig back through the code to see how it was done.

Date: November 16, 2010 11:23PM

It's the "directory" pref that Soeren posted.
Believe me, I did check first that external source code box smiling smiley
And always had the vague impression, that sometimes the "browse" buttons in prefs tabs worked and sometimes not, but never quite sure, perhaps it was just for different prefs ;-)

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.