General :  K-Meleon Web Browser Forum
General discussion about K-Meleon 
Pages: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta
Posted by: robert
Date: November 05, 2012 04:26PM

Why no more without that zip? in the past there was download of version beta without that zip.
Oh, what a polution:
"The data that you have submitted to the server have been rejected, because it looks like they were posted by an automated bot. If your browser has no JavaScript support or if JavaScript is diabled, then this might be the cause of the problem. JavaScript must be enabled for submitting this form"
every day, informatic is more complicated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JamesD
Date: November 06, 2012 01:15PM

@ Robert

The original beta versions were done by the developers. They had access to programs which create an executable/install file. Some of the latest versions are by users like me who have not the program or the skill to create an executable file.

We who are still working on KM are doing the best we can. I think that none of us are C++ programmers.

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 08, 2013 08:11PM

Ask alain aka jujuland for the install creator. He and koko own/created that module.
Else ask me for the service. I have an install maker.

The problem is however that no current setdefault.exe exists.

deadlock who created the most advanced version did not want his work used to create a distro.

So I have quit.

p.s. The devs & users probably should try to migrate the skins, macros & menus and the search engine mechanism to another HTML engine. I would favor a Mozilla plugin that can be used for Firefox, SeaMonkey and Chrome?

But have no idea whether it can be done technically.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 08:38PM by guenter.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: April 10, 2013 08:34PM

Hi,

as guenter says, we haven't been able to update setdefault to make it work with Seven.

As I don't use Windows no more, I haven't continue to try to make it work.

Deadlock has created one, but I don't tried it. I don't know with which program he has done it. I used nsis.

I'm surprise he can put this version out of the free software under GPL.

The program I used to generate setup exe and 7zip version (english, german, spanish, russian and french) is always avalaible on my website Tux KmPackager 0.33
The prefix Tux, just because I have replaced all the vbscript to be able to do it under Linux, but it works under Windows (even with Seven)

Except the default setting for seven, it work.

It can be completed, if needed, with a Ms VC++ 2005 redist setup also avalaible on my site.

For now, I havent too much desire to make new setups, but I'm ready to help to install and use the packager.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Posted by: guenter
Date: April 11, 2013 06:58PM

You should ask alain for the last Windows version of the installer maker that is AFAIK 3.3 (or 3.2 which can create no portables) if You work on Windows.

Setdefault.exe is a file compiled during K-Meleon project creation by the MS Visual C compiler/environment. deadlock AFAIK used VC9 to create it.
I created mine with VC8 but do not know what deadlock altered in the code when the original failed on XP SP3 and later.

I do not know anything about the way to create setdefault.exe mentioned by alain.

You find deadlock's exes and notes in
http://dhost.info/kmeleonskins/.KM1.6b3/base/
where he stored them during tests.

IMHO it is probably easier to resource hack or use a Mozilla setdefault with altered code to create a good setdefault exe.

deadlock's change log
---
2012-01-21 SetDefault.exe deadlock

SetDefault.exe Version8
- added HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\k-meleon.exe
- added HKLM\Software\Classes\Applications\k-meleon.exe
- adopted Mozilla family naming schemes
- tested with XP SP3 with Seamonkey, Firefox default and restore

---
2012-01-20 SetDefault.exe deadlock

SetDefault.exe Version7
- fixed and changed backup/restore HKCU\software\classes
- protocol restore of HKCU if it was set
- protocol delete in HKCU if it was not set
(IE doesn't use it at all, FF and IE don't support gopher)
- tested with XP SP3 with Firefox default and restore

---
2012-01-19 SetDefault.exe deadlock

SetDefault.exe Version6
- tested with XP SP3 with IE and Firefox defaults
- removed write to HKLM\software\classes
- added ddeexec placebo (not implemented in KM)

---
2012-01-13 SetDefault.exe deadlock

SetDefault.exe Version5
- tested with XP SP3
- more refresh
- removed keys

---
2012-01-12 SetDefault.exe deadlock

SetDefault.exe Version4
- tested with XP SP3
- added protocols to HKCU again (bug from 2012-01-11)
- added default client key to HKCU again
- removed some unused settings

---
2012-01-11 SetDefault.exe deadlock

SetDefault.exe Version3
- not yet tested with Vista/Windows 7
- tested with XP SP3
- restore of backup keys should work now
- added register/unregister links to start menu
- removed loader link

---
2012-01-07 SetDefault.exe deadlock

SetDefault.exe Version2
- added UserChoice keys
- tested with XP SP3
- moved some keys to HKCU
- uses K-Meleon.HTML again
- removed filetype .URL

---
2012-01-04 SetDefault.exe deadlock
- works with XP SP3
- filetypes registration should work for admin configuration
- added missing filetype .URL
- uses K-MeleonHTML again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2013 07:00PM by guenter.

Posted by: JujuLand
Date: April 13, 2013 04:30PM

The tool NSIS used to create setdefault (the always official, but no more efficient under Seven) is the same one used to create the setup for K-Meleon install.

There is no technical problem to use the new setdefault with kmPackager.

A+

Mozilla/5.0 (x11; U; Linux x86_64; fr-FR; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Ubuntu/12.04 K-Meleon/76.0

Web: http://jujuland.pagesperso-orange.fr/
Mail : alain [dot] aupeix [at] wanadoo [dot] fr

Ubuntu 12.04 - Gramps 3.4.9 - Harbour 3.2.0 - Hwgui 2.20-3 - K-Meleon 76.0 rc

Date: July 03, 2013 11:46AM

K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6

I have collected some new pieces and put them together as a new beta release for K-Meleon 1.6.0. The release is a 7-Zip so users can install in two ways. If you wish to have your profile in the same folder tree as the program, then you only have to make a folder, extract the files in 7z to that folder and run the executable named k-meleon. If you need your profile to be in your %APPDATA% folder then follow the same steps except prior to running k-meleon.exe you should delete the file named profile.ini which has 0 bytes.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1522294/K-Meleon1.6.0_Beta2dot6_en-US.7z

Hanlon’s razor is an eponymous adage named after Robert J. Hanlon that states: “Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.”

JamesD

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 02, 2013 03:27AM

JamesD
K-Meleon 1.6.0 Beta 2.6

I have collected some new pieces and put them together as a new beta release for K-Meleon 1.6.0. The release is a 7-Zip so users can install in two ways. If you wish to have your profile in the same folder tree as the program, then you only have to make a folder, extract the files in 7z to that folder and run the executable named k-meleon. If you need your profile to be in your %APPDATA% folder then follow the same steps except prior to running k-meleon.exe you should delete the file named profile.ini which has 0 bytes.

James,

New pieces, eh? What do these pieces do for KM? (Inquiring minds!)

<g>

N

Date: August 02, 2013 11:44AM

One file in the Beta 2.6 distribution is called "additions.htm". That file describes the new bits and pieces. You can run it from the 7z or if you install, there is a link from the Readme.html.

JamesD

Posted by: ndebord
Date: August 02, 2013 09:06PM

JamesD
One file in the Beta 2.6 distribution is called "additions.htm". That file describes the new bits and pieces. You can run it from the 7z or if you install, there is a link from the Readme.html.

James,

Thanks, that did it.

N

Posted by: martinw2
Date: August 17, 2013 11:26AM

I have just replaced my older K-Melon with the above. All seems OK except I can't find out how to set the default search engines. On my old version I had bing and duck duck, won't use google on principle which seems to be the default. Can anyone advise on how to change this setting as trying to select one from the list of search engines does not seem to work.

Thanks

Date: August 17, 2013 01:25PM

Set a new search engine this way. Use menu TOOLS - WEB SEARCH - CONFIGURE. Once there choose the WEB SEARCH tab and add an entry for the engine you need if not already the list.

Having finished the above, go to TOOLS - WEB SEARCH again and remove the check mark by USE AS DEFAULT ENGINE. Select and use the engine of your choice and then replace the check mark by use as default.

JamesD

Date: August 17, 2013 01:35PM

Thanks but it looks like something is wrong with this version (or installation)
>Use menu TOOLS - WEB SEARCH - CONFIGURE.
The Configure entry does not appear, all I get is the search box.
I have changed google to bing in the about:config file but on the older version I could just add any search engines from the supplied list and then I got a drop down menu to select them.

Martin

Date: August 17, 2013 02:07PM

OK sorry for the bother it looks like it was a faulty instalation. When I noticed the translation menu was also missing I deleted the whole lot and used a fresh copy. Now the menues are there and I just have to do the config.

Thanks to all who contributed to this web browser. Even firefox is spying on you now via google links!!

Martin

Pages: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

K-Meleon forum is powered by Phorum.